should you eat all your calories?

Options
hi , im a 29 year old male , i go to the gym 4 times a week and do intensive cardio and weights.
170cm
105kg (73kg muscle , 2.5kgs bone )

should you eat all your calories? is it possible that the calculator is giving me a lower protein intake that i should be taking?

2atvdzarqc4a.png

Replies

• darrenakathewolf
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    While you don't have to religiously eat every single calorie every day, it's a good idea to eat at or around your goal most days. If your goal is 1965, I certainly wouldn't only eat 1264 for a full day, except on a very rare ocassion if there were extinuating circumstances. The minimum daily recommended intake for men is 1500, and most men require more. When I was close to your stats, I targeted around 2250 a day with exercise to lose a pound or so a week.

As far as protein, I would probably raise the goal. Look for targeting somewhere between 1.4-1.8g of target goal weight (how much you think you want to weigh when you're done). You can customize your macro percentages. A lot of us find the default 20% on protein to be insufficient.

my reasoning on the calories is due to my Bmr being 2058
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    While you don't have to religiously eat every single calorie every day, it's a good idea to eat at or around your goal most days. If your goal is 1965, I certainly wouldn't only eat 1264 for a full day, except on a very rare ocassion if there were extinuating circumstances. The minimum daily recommended intake for men is 1500, and most men require more. When I was close to your stats, I targeted around 2250 a day with exercise to lose a pound or so a week.

As far as protein, I would probably raise the goal. Look for targeting somewhere between 1.4-1.8g of target goal weight (how much you think you want to weigh when you're done). You can customize your macro percentages. A lot of us find the default 20% on protein to be insufficient.

I was using my calories as a general example, not necessarily what I thought you should eat.

If you are sedentary in your nonexercise daily life, then your goal of 1600
    hi , im a 29 year old male , i go to the gym 4 times a week and do intensive cardio and weights.
    170cm
    105kg (73kg muscle , 2.5kgs bone )

should you eat all your calories? is it possible that the calculator is giving me a lower protein intake that i should be taking?

2atvdzarqc4a.png

I was using my calories as an example, not necessarily what you should be following. But given that your rate of loss is pretty aggressive already (close to 2 pounds a week if you are sedentary, before exercise), I'd recommend eating as close to your goal including your exercise calories as often as possible.

It's also okay to go over your goal within reason sometimes. If you are under one day, and over the next, it balances out. But I'd certainly eat more than 1265.
  • darrenakathewolf
    darrenakathewolf Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    any suggestions on what my macros % should be? im a sales man , so mostly im on my feet aroun 6000 -7800 steps daily
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat all my calories if I tried which is weird because I used to go WAY over without thinking about it. Now that I have trained myself and do think about it there no way I come near my allotted calories.
  • darrenakathewolf
    Options
    OAS5 wrote: »
    I couldn't eat all my calories if I tried which is weird because I used to go WAY over without thinking about it. Now that I have trained myself and do think about it there no way I come near my allotted calories.

I used to have bad acid reflux issues so I got used to eat only one a day.

I'm finding it hard to eat up as I'm still satisfied with this food
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    To answer the easy question: the short answer is yes, you should eat all your calories.

The long answer is: you should eat all your calories but how you calculate how many calories you burn has some potential inaccuracies. Many websites (including MFP) can overestimate calorie burns, as can exercise equipment. The general suggestion is to eat the base calories MFP gives you and start by eating back 50% of exercise calories. Give it a few weeks and if you are losing faster than expected, eat back more exercise calories. With the info you are showing, you should eat around 1807 calories for this day.

As far as protein, the most common recommendation is .8 gram for each pound of your ideal weight (which means someone who's weight should be 200 lb should eat about 160 grams of protein). Everyone is different so YMMV.

This is a general suggestion for most people, but in his case, I don't think I would go for 50%. A burn of 315 calories for an under-30, 230 pound male doing "intensive weights and cardio" doesn't sound unreasonable at all. And given that his calorie goal is already aggressive, I think the proper caution would be to eat all of them back. Worst case, has has slightly slower but still brisk weight loss. But it's better than undereating an aggressive goal.

Obviously each person is different which is why I stated that "Everyone is different so YMMV".
  • darrenakathewolf
    Options
    i went with all your feedback and amended todays meal plan.

2pi72w9j97n7.png

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,950 Member
    Options
    Nicer! Couple of hints / questions: look for Potatoes, flesh and skin, raw. It is one of the originally staff imported USDA entries. If you log your potato by grams it is probably going to be more accurate than logging by size. If you're already weighing your chicken... why not the potato, right?

Now, the chicken cheese wrap... was that an entry you created for food you made?

Or is it something you got from a store and logged by approximation? Usually a small pita bread or small tortilla will come in at at least 150 Cal. A slice of processed cheese (i.e. about 18-21g) will be 50-70, so you're already at 220 without the chicken and, especially, without mayo or other sauce that might be in the wrap. And of course if you're dealing with a larger wrap and/or with filling such as rice which is often a part of commercial offerings... then the calories might go up.

Now, in all this, I note that you didn't get your "5 a day" or approximately 425g of vegetables and fruits a day. I believe the UK excludes starches such as potatoes, though I personally do not think that potatoes are any less of a veggie if you're aware of the calories that they bring to the table. To the contrary they are quite nutritious and very satiating for many people! US choosemyplate has "cup" recommendations based on various colors of vegetables :smiley:

All in all though, it looks like a bit more satisfying of a day than yesterday, don't you think?
  • darrenakathewolf
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nicer! Couple of hints / questions: look for Potatoes, flesh and skin, raw. It is one of the originally staff imported USDA entries. If you log your potato by grams it is probably going to be more accurate than logging by size. If you're already weighing your chicken... why not the potato, right?

Now, the chicken cheese wrap... was that an entry you created for food you made?

Or is it something you got from a store and logged by approximation? Usually a small pita bread or small tortilla will come in at at least 150 Cal. A slice of processed cheese (i.e. about 18-21g) will be 50-70, so you're already at 220 without the chicken and, especially, without mayo or other sauce that might be in the wrap. And of course if you're dealing with a larger wrap and/or with filling such as rice which is often a part of commercial offerings... then the calories might go up.

Now, in all this, I note that you didn't get your "5 a day" or approximately 425g of vegetables and fruits a day. I believe the UK excludes starches such as potatoes, though I personally do not think that potatoes are any less of a veggie if you're aware of the calories that they bring to the table. To the contrary they are quite nutritious and very satiating for many people! US choosemyplate has "cup" recommendations based on various colors of vegetables :smiley:

All in all though, it looks like a bit more satisfying of a day than yesterday, don't you think?

you are right in all the aspects i have just preselected the chicken wrap from the selection , i will be adding personal food items .

I know that its very cliche but i take muscletech black onyx vitamins i split the dosage in two times a day along with 2-3l of vitasnella water and a pint of cold americano coffee ( no sugar nor milk)

would you recommend splitting the portions more evenly? or it doesnt make a difference since the daily calorie intake?

the below is exactly what i look like .
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Looks to me that when you drop a bit of fluff you will be in 100% super beast mode.

It may be worth to keep in mind that: protecting the existing lean mass you've already worked hard for is a good idea! You do this by continuing your training, eating sufficient protein which you're more than doing, and applying a moderate deficit--which on paper you were sort of overdoing

Time is variable and under your control and if you develop an eating method that you can continue with long term then you're no longer in a hurry to get this over with!

Basically try to figure out how you would operate long-term. And then cut something like 250 to 500 Calories from that (initially 500, reducing the size of deficit when you become leaner)...

Some studies indicate there may be an advantage to a more calorific breakfast. The true advantage lies with whichever method of eating allows you to control your calories successfully. Personally I eat most of mine at night. Because otherwise I would consistently go over!

Just remember that because sometimes you feel better eating many small meals and other times you feel better by eating a couple of larger meals... you can try both, and you can even have one preference for a while and then change that preference! Keeping track of calories allows you to be more flexible with other "rules"

I don't think there exists any advantage to any method that out performs simple consistent adherence to your (caloric) goals most of the time!
  • darrenakathewolf
    darrenakathewolf Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I need to remove atleast 10 - 15kgs I'm currently at 34% body fat. My only issue is my bmr which due to low metabolism is only 2048 I could eat 2000 and make sure to spend atleast 20mins on the stairs and another 20min treadmill to give me a 480cal deficit I already feel the side effects of eating all this food ( farts and toilet)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Looks to me that when you drop a bit of fluff you will be in 100% super beast mode.

TRUTH!

It may be worth to keep in mind that: protecting the existing lean mass you've already worked hard for is a good idea! You do this by continuing your training, eating sufficient protein!

• PAV8888
    Options
    I am not sure whether you truly mean BMR when you keep mentioning it or not.

You do not need a deficit from your BMR. BMR is the level of calories your body needs to maintain itself at a near coma. it is represented by an activity factor of 1.0. (as in 1.0x BMR Calories).

Even a sedentary person who only moves around for self care such as washroom and making their food and eating it and in general would average less than 45 minutes of non sitting / lying activity in a day (and under 3500 steps, approximately) would have a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) of 1.25x BMR Calories approximately.

Your deficit is calculated out of your total calories, your TDEE. On MFP your TDEE is your selected activity setting PLUS the ACTUAL extra exercise calories you expend in a day.

A relatively AGGRESSIVE deficit for an obese person would be a deficit of 25% of their actual TDEE.

Plug your weight into a weigh trend app so that you can look at your weight level over time as your daily weigh ins will probably show fluctuations that are not related to your fat levels!
  • darrenakathewolf
    Options
    I have a Huawei body fat scale it gives me all the info regarding muscles, fat, bone density, bmr, and that's why I mention it. If u consume 2000 calories but burn 500 calories at the gym I should be at a deficit
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,078 Member
    Options
    I have a Huawei body fat scale it gives me all the info regarding muscles, fat, bone density, bmr, and that's why I mention it. If u consume 2000 calories but burn 500 calories at the gym I should be at a deficit

Body Fat Scales are notoriously inaccurate for body fat, etc.

What you are describing would be a deficit, but an extremely large deficit, if you got your calorie goal from MFP, it already includes a deficit. So you're making the deficit bigger.

jichgexfsynp.jpg