Over extended knee

Options
I've potentially over extended my knee, more than likely due to my squats. At what point can I go back to doing them? Do I wait until my knee no longer hurts or give it a rest then continue with a knee support?

I'm following the Stronglifts programme so squats are an integral part of the workout.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Does your knee hurt when you do the squat motion or at other times? Is it swollen? The BEST answer is to see a doctor or PT and follow THEIR advice, depending on the source of your problem. You may also need to get a trainer to fix your form with special attention to knee and toe position.

My knee was hurting so I changed up my squat stance and lightened the rep weight I was working with to focus on my FORM. That seems to have resolved the issues nicely, but I did all the troubleshooting of my form with nothing but body weight squats and mirrors at several angles to see where/how I was going wrong.

Honestly, you may not need to stop squatting if you have experienced guidance to keep you from further injury, but if you do NOT have a lot of experience with your specific knee problem, or with lifting, and you don't have access to anyone who does, I'd lay off the squats until you have no pain, and then start again with a very light or no weight at all and pay very close attention to your form.

Your knees are complicated joints and VERY important to most fitness goals, so care for them like the MVP's they are.
  • bex1086
    bex1086 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Does your knee hurt when you do the squat motion or at other times? Is it swollen? The BEST answer is to see a doctor or PT and follow THEIR advice, depending on the source of your problem. You may also need to get a trainer to fix your form with special attention to knee and toe position.

My knee was hurting so I changed up my squat stance and lightened the rep weight I was working with to focus on my FORM. That seems to have resolved the issues nicely, but I did all the troubleshooting of my form with nothing but body weight squats and mirrors at several angles to see where/how I was going wrong.

Honestly, you may not need to stop squatting if you have experienced guidance to keep you from further injury, but if you do NOT have a lot of experience with your specific knee problem, or with lifting, and you don't have access to anyone who does, I'd lay off the squats until you have no pain, and then start again with a very light or no weight at all and pay very close attention to your form.

Your knees are complicated joints and VERY important to most fitness goals, so care for them like the MVP's they are.

I have asked my PT and he says my form looks fine but I think there must have been one occasion when it was off and that's what has done it. After a conversation with a gym instructor I decided to lighten the load to focus on my form because whilst it wasn't compromised it wasn't the best. I think I've been trying to go too heavy too quickly, following the app suggestions but probably not taking into account that I'm tiny and should probably go lighter.

My shoes aren't the best either, they are very spongey so whilst great for running they don't allow me to push off the floor as well with my feet so again that will be putting added pressure on my knees. I did better without my shoes on but prefer to wear them so will try a different non spongey pair.

I find the wider my squats the less likely they are to cause me issues, with a knee support they aren't actually troubling, it's when I don't have the support on that even walking is uncomfortable. I can't tell if it's swollen, it doesn't look obviously so but I'm guessing it might be because it feels stiff.

I think I'm going to take the week off squats and potentially just restart the entire programme. I'm having issues with my deadlift form and my barbell row as it is. Maybe just starting from the beginning and getting some practice in at the lower weights will help. I have a session already paid for with my PT that we need to book so I might book a couple of hours with him just to re go over everything.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I hyper extended my knee doing squats as well. This is difficult to heal, especially if you continue following the SL 5x5 protocols. In my case it took staying out of the gym for 3 full months - but after a year of pain it was worth it. I'm now back to doing squats but no longer use the bar - goblet squats and compound squats only. Seems to be working. Good luck.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Good on you for being smart about this. Heavier is not always better. It's the PROGRESSION that makes you stronger and your only competitor is yourself. FORM is way more important than weight moved, as good form will keep you moving weights around for longer when you're not injured and gimpy.

There are a ton of good beginner weight programs out there. Maybe try switching to one of the others with a less aggressive progression and come back to SL5x5... Or don't. You may find another program works much better with your build and goals.

I've done NROL and Strong Curves as well and enjoyed them for their own reasons and switch between them and combine them as needed to work around my schedule, PT for injuries, and fitness goals.
  • bex1086
    Options
    I emailed my PT earlier and asked to book in a couple of appointments to go back to basics on the things I'm having issues with. Iike the Stronglifts programme and it's something that works well for me in general but maybe I just need to change it a bit so increase by 1kg instead of 2.5kg, 2.5kg instead of 5kgs.

I'm going to wear my knee support all day now for a while and see if it helps.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted a doctor and/or a physical therapist (PT)?
  • bex1086
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Have you consulted a doctor and/or a physical therapist (PT)?

No not yet but I think I'll ring the doctor on Monday to try get an appointment in the week.