Is this technically intermittent fasting?

Options
I never thought about and every time I heard about intermittent fasting I would say that's not for me but maybe I kinda have been all along. Would you or do you consider this intermittent fasting, I don't eat after 8 PM or before 7AM? Is that just normal not eating time or fasting? Just curious by the way, its just a rule I have had since starting to eat right and lose weight.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    So you don't eat for 11 hours or of the day, most of which you're presumably asleep. That doesn't really sound like much of a fast, although it technically is (your first meal of the day is breakfast after all).

It seems like a stretch to call it IF, but you do what works for you.
  • HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I am similar. I try to give my body at least n 11-12 hour break without food. I just have coffee at first in the morning and find it feels best for me regarding my digestion. Some days I'll go 14 hours if I'm in the mood. Interesting to see that this is a common practice of thinner people. My husband doesn't do intermittent fasting on purpose but usually only eats between 1 pm and 9-10 pm.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're fasting for 11 hours of which presumably 8 of them are sleep. So you're fasting for three waking hours. I don't think most IF people would call that "fasting", but why would it matter? If it's an approach that works well for you, that's all that's important.

Many IF people gradually adjust their methodology over time, extending or contracting their fasting period to suit their needs. You might find yourself doing the same in time. My own IF approach has gone through several revisions.
  • giuliatrombetta
    giuliatrombetta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting of about 16 hours without eating that is differ of one youa re doing when you are sleeping! The fasting I m talking about is done after a big meal or when you have had a special event where you have had drank or eaten food hight calories or alcohol
    It helps to gaing ageing your natural balance
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting discussion. Maybe I'll try something different and not eat till lunch time at work at 11:15. I guess that is still only 14 hours. Do you think that would jump start things to get off this last 15 pounds? That first meal, which would be lunch at 11:15 for me, do you eat more than you normally do? I'm kinda interested now.
  • OAS5
    Options
    I think that would be the point for be. Maybe cut 200-300 calories a day for a month or two.
  • giuliatrombetta
    giuliatrombetta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suppose that your decision comes from the need to lose weight. What I know, right, now is that king of fasting is an exception! Cut off calories means you have to change your diet plan
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    With the caveat that, as I think you already know and don't need to be informed, it all boils down to the # of calories you consume; the eating schedule itself is not going to determine your weight loss but, rather, it can just establish a platform on which you can hit your calorie target more easily ...

14:10 is a solid way to get started with IF. That's 14 hours fasting, 10 hour food window. I started that way and so have many others. It typically looks something like 9 am to 7 pm. Basically it's the "no snacking at night" plan. A very legit way to toe-dip into the world of IF, and a good place to learn the essential skill of IF - actually not snacking outside the food window, from whence all the benefits of IF accrue (even though the same thing could be accomplished without IF by "simply" not snacking, but unfortunately for many it isn't that simple).

The next step up from that is the uber-popular 16:8, which looks something like a food window of 11 am to 7 pm. Basically this is the "skip breakfast, and no snacking at night plan". The upside of 16:8 is getting to have 2 full-sized "non diet-y" meals per day (lunch and dinner) while still hitting a dieting calorie target. This is where I ended up for a long time. Benefits continue to include not snacking at night, but now also include and getting two real, legit meals along with probably some desert every day, but also many people (including me) discover that once you stop eating breakfast, you wake up utterly not hungry and that whole issue of expending precious calories before your day even gets started is taken completely off the table. I have literally never been less hungry or interested in food in the morning as when I started IF.

The next step up from 16:8 is to make the window tighter, like 18:6 or 20:4. It sounds like it'd be harder because you have more hours of fasting, but actually 17:7 or 18:8 seems waaaaay easier to me. Once you've broken in your mind and your stomach juices to the notion that "if we ain't in the window, food ain't happening", which is a learning process, then extending that fasting period by an hour or two is nothing, nada, zip on the difficulty scale. BUT ... compacting the eating window from 8 to 6 hours means you can easily glide straight from lunch to dinner without obsessing about food, because it isn't enough time to get ravenously hungry. I actually like 17:7 best of any IF approach: noon to 7 pm for me.

One thing that is oft debated on these threads is whether you need to really "do" IF 100 % if you're going to do it. In other words, is it OK to have a little snack outside the window, etc. In my opinion, having done IF almost every day for 8 months, yes and no. Yes, in the sense that it's kinda insane to never let yourself have an IF break or a snack if you're stomach is growling and lurching while you're trying to get to sleep. No, in the sense that you can - and many do - train their minds and bodies to learn to just suck it up when it's fasting time and not eat anything, from whence the weight loss benefits come, because you do get used to it and you stop craving food when it isn't feeding time. So in the first month, it's a really good idea to fight the hunger, both physically and emotionally/mentally, and learn to be a little hungry. Most of that hunger subsides after a few weeks; the human mind does a great job of adapting to whatever the status quo is, and you want to lock it into that little amygdala in your brain that the status quo is: "no food outside the eating window". Once you've got that locked down tight after 4-8 weeks, there's no reason not to inject a little flexibility into the program; over the long term, for any kind of diet, flexibility and going easy on yourself makes things orders of magnitude easier to keep going with it.

Now this is a real honest to goodness useful discussion on how to effectively use IF for calorie control if it proves to be something that suits you and your day!
  • reddwarf63
    reddwarf63 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It isnt IF when you are sleeping. It only counts when you have a reduced eating window of 6 hrs or less
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    reddwarf63 wrote: »
    It isnt IF when you are sleeping. It only counts when you have a reduced eating window of 6 hrs or less

I agree with the first sentence but disagree with the second sentence. I would define I.F. as any deliberate attempt during an awakened/active state to minimize food consumption to a designated period of time. That time could be 2hrs or even 8 to 10hrs. I do agree that if you are getting north of a 10 hour window then its not really a fast. The key that makes it I.F. is that the window of time is consistent and predetermined. If you have a day where you aren't hungry and skip breakfast and don't eat until 2PM and have dinner at 6PM and are done eating for the day you are not really using I.F. if the next day you are hungry and eat breakfast, then lunch, and dinner during a 10-12hr window.
  • OAS5
    Options
    Hey when I was a fatso I would fast every few minutes before starting up again eating. Its all good, thanks for all the info. I'm gonna stick with my no later than 8PM eating and not before 7AM eating.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    OAS5 wrote: »
    Hey when I was a fatso I would fast every few minutes before starting up again eating. Its all good, thanks for all the info. I'm gonna stick with my no later than 8PM eating and not before 7AM eating.

Good plan! If it ain't broke... ;)