Eating your Exercise Calories

Options
Ive been asked several times and also see several people posting about whether or not to eat your exercise calories burned.

Personally, I eat till im satisfied, regardless where the cals come from, if im hungry, i eat, if im eating more then my daily cal allotment, it just means im not eating the right things.

What I mean by this is, if you are eating the right foods (High Protein, High Fiber, Low Carb), then you will need to eat less because these foods are generally more filling and keep hunger levels down.

If Im going over my calorie allotment AND im hungry, 9 out of 10 times, this is because the foods I chose to eat were most likely high in sugar/fat/simple carbs.

So to answer the question, I just eat till Im full! I dont really pay any mind to if Im going into my exercise cals for the day, if it happens, it happens. Just as long as Im full/satisfied and not going over in cals for the day, Im a happy camper. It seems to be working for me, so ill keep doing it.

Replies

• Casey1982
    Casey1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I was actually staying right at my measly 1200 calories (yikes!) and not losing weight...I realized it's because all my foods were simple carbs...like a Nutri-grain bar for breakfast. That's not going to fill anyone up! Or last more than an hour!

I'm trying very hard to forgo a lot of carbs (like rice, pasta, and sugary treats) and eat more protein...I've lost 5 pounds so far doing it that way. The hardest part for me is the sugary treats (chocolate) moreso than the french fries or rice. We all have our own demons :) But, many days, I've gone over my daily calories, and I've still lost weight! This happens when I eat less carbs, and more lean meats/cheese/veggies, etc...
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Awesome weight loss!!!!!

I totally agree with everything you said!! I think people just need to find what works for *them* and quit worrying about what other people say. I like hearing what has worked for others because if I get stuck I might try it but until I get stuck I will do what works for me. I HATE being told "THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO CUZ I DID IT AND ITS THE ONLY WAY THAT WORKS ROOOOAAAAAAARRR!!!" It gets to be a bit annoying, haha. :bigsmile: I like how you simply told what you did and how it worked for you and didn't demand others do it. I wish more people posted their advice like this. It comes off easier to read, haha.

Again, congrats on your success :drinker:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    So true. In theory, you'd net what MFP tells you to everyday. But that's not real life.

This week, for me, it's TOM. And that always means a serious food aversion. I've been a few hundred under all week but I feel fine! I think we all get a little too worked up about the exercise calories thing. Heck, one of my friends here is always burning like 1,000+ cals and can't eat enough to cover all that. He just works out a lot. But with extra fat left to burn, it's not like he's anorexic. XD

Do what works, I say!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I was actually staying right at my measly 1200 calories (yikes!) and not losing weight...I realized it's because all my foods were simple carbs...like a Nutri-grain bar for breakfast. That's not going to fill anyone up! Or last more than an hour!

I'm trying very hard to forgo a lot of carbs (like rice, pasta, and sugary treats) and eat more protein...I've lost 5 pounds so far doing it that way. The hardest part for me is the sugary treats (chocolate) moreso than the french fries or rice. We all have our own demons :) But, many days, I've gone over my daily calories, and I've still lost weight! This happens when I eat less carbs, and more lean meats/cheese/veggies, etc...

More people should read this and listen.. I can't even count how many times I've posted something similar. One of the biggest problems is that MFP sets your default carbs at a crazy number --- it should be practically the reverse and protein should be higher -- that keeps you full. As for the sugar, I love dessert but I honestly can't tell the difference between sugar-free and regular anymore and I often cook with stevia, agave, splenda insted.. I don't even own regular sugar anymore or I'd eat it with a spoon :)
  • Angel87a
    Options
    Thank you! I completely agree. When I eat clean I get stuffed easier, if I eat junk, I want to eat more.
  • sumjoy
    sumjoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Eating until I'm full doesn't work because it depends on what I'm eating - chips are a perfect example. I could eat the whole bag and not be full, but have taken in thousands of calories in the process.

I just eat what I want and watch the calories. I do avoid foods like french fries and desserts IF they are high in calories. But if I really want them I would exercise more and make a meal out of them.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    true! i actually stopped eating back all mine and broke my plateau. i eat good foods and eat until i'm full! if that means that i dont eat back my calories, then ok, but i make sure to listen to my body. (i never drop below 1200 intake though so no one jump on my *kitten* about that --i got this lol)
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Awesome weight loss!!!!!

I totally agree with everything you said!! I think people just need to find what works for *them* and quit worrying about what other people say. I like hearing what has worked for others because if I get stuck I might try it but until I get stuck I will do what works for me. I HATE being told "THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO CUZ I DID IT AND ITS THE ONLY WAY THAT WORKS ROOOOAAAAAAARRR!!!" It gets to be a bit annoying, haha. :bigsmile: I like how you simply told what you did and how it worked for you and didn't demand others do it. I wish more people posted their advice like this. It comes off easier to read, haha.

Again, congrats on your success :drinker:

Thanx!
  • 4himalone
    Options
    bump for later
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump for later
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    This is a great post!
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump for the afternoon crowd.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just eat till Im full! I dont really pay any mind to if Im going into my exercise cals for the day, if it happens, it happens. Just as long as Im full/satisfied and not going over in cals for the day, Im a happy camper. It seems to be working for me, so ill keep doing it.

This is what I do too. I lost most of my weight before I joined this site and ever heard of "eating exercise calories". I exercise and eat most of my calories in the evening but usually don't log either until the next morning so I when I eat I don't really know how many calories I'm "allowed" anyway. I just eat healthy food that I like until I get full and then I stop. But, I will say that when I log the exercise and food the next day, it is usually pretty close to the allowance.