From Slimming World to MFP

Options
lynnep_09
lynnep_09 Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2020 in Getting Started
So, all I’ve known for years now is SW... but I’m intrigued by MFP as I can’t seem to sustain SW. I do well for weeks at a time then I go off plan and struggle to find my way back 🤷‍♀️

The one thing that does worry me is I get quite big losses on SW but it seems I’d need to cut back on calories quite a lot to aim for a 2lb loss on MFP.

Is there anyone still following SW and calorie counting? What would you say an average day on SW calorie wise is?

Just curious if your thoughts 🤓

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Stick to MFP, let them do the calculations - for me the huge advantage is that I can choose my daily macros and adjust them if different seasons demands it. Seems to me that MFP offers the most flexible healthier life style which I can follow very long term - not just a "diet".
  • djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm on SW and on here just to track my weight as I refuse to pay to do it online at SW!

I've only tracked my meals a couple of times on here as it's very time consuming when making everything from fresh pretty much but I've found my daily seems to be around the 2000-2500 calories on SW :o

500 calories of fruit.
    450 calories of veg.
    500 calories in snacks

Despite logging this I had never actually looked at it until you have just mentioned it. I may have to revisit what I'm eating!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    The answer to that question is going to depend on individual personal stats like age, gender, height, current weight and rate of loss selected, as well as day to day activity levels.

That’s one of the advantages to counting calories via MFP as opposed to set ‘plans’ such as Slimming World. Your way of eating can be infinitely tailored to YOU! That way you really can’t ‘go off plan’.

If you use the MFP set up to establish your calories per day you can just start there. Unless you have quite a lot of weight to lose, your 2lb a week may not be the best idea. As you’ve discovered, I imagine, your SW 2lb is not actually sustainable as a weekly target - that’s possibly why you go off plan and probably put that 2lb back on regularly.

Be aware that plans such as SW have various iterations of ‘free’ or ‘syn’ free foods - that changes when you decide to count calories. Logging everything including fruit, vegetables, salad etc is important!