Is it possible to get through Menopause without weight gain? If so please share your secrets!

124»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is "spamsplaining" a word? Can it be?

I predict that after a while, this comment won't make sense. ;)

Heh.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

LOL, it already partly doesn't. :lol:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    (I saw the initial version.)
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member

It should be!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    56 here and I have had no way of knowing where I am in the peri/menopause timeline as I had a hysterectomy at age 33 and therefore no periods.

Has you doctor ever ordered a FSH and/or AMH test? They will give him/her AND YOU a great reading on where you are (assuming you kept at least one ovary).

@earlnabby or whoever has input - when exactly is the FSH test supposed to be done? According to Dr. Christiane Northrup, it is day 1 or 2 of my period. I've had my two previous tests done on day 1. My GP said day 3 (which is not a day I leave the house.) I'm planning on writing my GYN and asking, but I don't have complete faith in her (and have no choice since I am with the VA.)

More importantly, what exactly is day 1? For period tracking purposes, I count my first Niagara Falls day as day 1, but the preceding few days of light spotting would be much easier to go get blood drawn.

My periods have been oddly regular as I approach menopause, and I'm expecting my first heavy day on Sunday, and am worried that Friday will be too soon, but the lab is not open on the weekend.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    56 here and I have had no way of knowing where I am in the peri/menopause timeline as I had a hysterectomy at age 33 and therefore no periods.

Has you doctor ever ordered a FSH and/or AMH test? They will give him/her AND YOU a great reading on where you are (assuming you kept at least one ovary).

@earlnabby or whoever has input - when exactly is the FSH test supposed to be done? According to Dr. Christiane Northrup, it is day 1 or 2 of my period. I've had my two previous tests done on day 1. My GP said day 3 (which is not a day I leave the house.) I'm planning on writing my GYN and asking, but I don't have complete faith in her (and have no choice since I am with the VA.)

More importantly, what exactly is day 1? For period tracking purposes, I count my first Niagara Falls day as day 1, but the preceding few days of light spotting would be much easier to go get blood drawn.

My periods have been oddly regular as I approach menopause, and I'm expecting my first heavy day on Sunday, and am worried that Friday will be too soon, but the lab is not open on the weekend.

Day 3 is the recommended day but any day from 2-4 should be good. As far as which is day 3 in your case, I would see what the Gyn says.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2020

Plagiar-splaining?

My mom had a tough time with perimenopause (hot flashes, mood swings, digestive issues), but her weight gain happened after she was through it. Her rheumatoid arthritis got worse, her thyroid meds get wonky, and she ended up moving less and eating more. I am 47 and have seen no change yet. As someone who never wanted children, I'm kind of looking forward to not having a cycle anymore, just hoping I have an easier time than she did!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Day 3 is the recommended day but any day from 2-4 should be good. As far as which is day 3 in your case, I would see what the Gyn says.

Thanks! I always get it on Day 1 as I can't leave the house after that. It came a few days early this month, so the weekend wasn't an issue after all.

Got the results back - at 3.85, my number is lower than it was last year (5.52) and in 2014 (4.28) (all tests were on Day 1), so, what, I'm further away from menopause?!? :lol:
  • admatroo
    admatroo Posts: 1 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Plagiar-splaining?

My mom had a tough time with perimenopause (hot flashes, mood swings, digestive issues), but her weight gain happened after she was through it. Her rheumatoid arthritis got worse, her thyroid meds get wonky, and she ended up moving less and eating more. I am 47 and have seen no change yet. As someone who never wanted children, I'm kind of looking forward to not having a cycle anymore, just hoping I have an easier time than she did!

Kimny72 - I am in the same position as your mom. I have gone 16 months without a period so according to my doctor have now gone through menopause. I too have rheumatoid arthritis which is gradually getting worse (am in a major flare at the moment), my thyroid is semi-controlled on meds but I am still gaining weight (up 3.3 stone in just over 2 years which has all gone around my middle), which in turn is raising my blood pressure. I have just had a potential diagnosis of IBS, subject to having a CT scan. With the help of MFP I watch what I eat, I walk a lot because I cannot fully exercise and it has made no difference at all. I am 51.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2020
    admatroo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Plagiar-splaining?

Kimny72 - I am in the same position as your mom. I have gone 16 months without a period so according to my doctor have now gone through menopause. I too have rheumatoid arthritis which is gradually getting worse (am in a major flare at the moment), my thyroid is semi-controlled on meds but I am still gaining weight (up 3.3 stone in just over 2 years which has all gone around my middle), which in turn is raising my blood pressure. I have just had a potential diagnosis of IBS, subject to having a CT scan. With the help of MFP I watch what I eat, I walk a lot because I cannot fully exercise and it has made no difference at all. I am 51.

I'm sorry you're struggling. It took a long time for my mom to get the rheumatoid arthritis under control, a lot of trial and error with a great rheumatologist. And my understanding is if the thyroid isn't well controlled it just wreaks havoc on your energy and metabolism. Hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    I’m 50 have lots menopause symptoms I have lost 87lbs slowly but I’ve lost a lot inches

• saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    That's inspiring @size102b ! Did you lose it with MFP or are you doing something else?
  • Staashi
    Staashi Posts: 2 Member
    Oh gosh...yes it does seem to go to your gut. Though I am getting it all over, in places that I never seemed to have issues with before. I have never craved sugar/sweets like I have been in the last year. Also just the need to be constantly eating is something that I am going through and it is pure hell. Thank you for bringing this up @dmkumhyr . It seems to be incredibly hard to get this weight to drop off.

OMG - thank you for putting into words what I've been going through this past month. I've needed to constantly eat something and it's killing me!

• just4me123456
    just4me123456 Posts: 35 Member
    This may be unpopular, but the best thing I’ve done for my waist line in a LONG time is giving up drinking. That glass or 2 of wine every night was going right to my belly. (Wine belly is a real thing). In 2 months I lost almost 5 pounds and an inch and a half off my waist while not changing my diet at all. Now I’m ratcheting down on that and the weight is coming off pretty steady (I have about 25 pounds total to lose).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Great thread! I'll be 49 this year, so this is a topic I'm interested in. The part about gaining tummy weight hit so close to home. I've always carried weight in my butt and thighs, but I've always had a small waist and stomach. It's been in the past year that I've slowly started to notice what I can only describe as a small spare tire growing around my waist. WTF?! I've never carried weight here and it's depressing as heck.