Beginning Keto for the first time

Hi everyone

I’m starting Keto for the first time and wondered if there were others out there who have found success with it? I’ve always calorie counted to lose weight but thought I’d try an alternative way this time.

Only on day 1 :)

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lots of people here do keto, but many of them calorie count too. Keto and calorie counting are not different diets in that everyone loses due to a calorie deficit and counting is just one possible way to insure you have one, whatever way of eating you follow.

This is a good group if you feel like you want more support from others doing keto: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • Kimbo19821982
    Kimbo19821982 Posts: 3 Member
    Great thank you. I am calorie counting alongside just to make sure I’m not sabotaging myself :)
  • jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    I lost a good amount with keto. Calorie counting is a must! A lot of the keto friendly meals are very calorie heavy - plenty of fat in there.

Treat it as a tool, not magic. Calorie counting to keep a deficit, so you lose weight, and a keto diet to help control appetite and hunger.
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Keto is not some magic diet. It still requires that you count calories, and look at nutrition as a whole.
  • longx519
    longx519 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been on Keto since around March 2019. I've lost 85 lbs to date, but I started mid-300s. I definitely recommend counting your macros and carbs sneak in really easily. I tried going (tracker-free), but hit a pretty solid plateau for a couple months probably because I was getting lax in counting. I recommend it, but make sure you are getting your salt and without carbs, your body loses a lot of water, with salt right along with it. If you eat a pickle a day, or something similar, you won't get the carb flu as badly (I've noticed).

Good luck!
  • Kimbo19821982
    Kimbo19821982 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks all for the advice. I’ve kept track of all macros and stayed within guidelines as well as made sure my calories didn’t go over 1200 (I’m only 5’2 so can’t go above this calorie level as I don’t lose)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Calorie counting is a tool. Its not a must thing. Yes you can gain weight or maintain on keto. I personally count because I am lean and I can destroy me some protein and fats, even on keto. But there are plenty of people on various diets they don't need to count.

Having said that, its going well for me. I have been at a lower weight than i ever achieved with just calorie counting and focusing on macros (generally lower fat). When i started keto, i was 184 with a low weight or 173. I am currently 169. I focus on whole foods and I work to get plenty of fiber. I also salt a lot of my foods for electrolyte management (super key).

I don't track ketones. I don't have a metabolic disorder and the only thing that matters to me, is the weight loss component. I also don't care if i have a day where carbs are highish (still sub 100g). Given I am active (exercise 5-6 days), i suspect my ability to produce ketones is pretty good. Often the next few days, ill be net 25g.

I will say my gym performance has suffered a bit. So I potentially am going to experiment with either TKD (timing pure glucose around my workout) or increasing carbs up to 80-100g total. There are several people who still achieve ketosis even while consuming higher amounts of carbs driven by carb depletion during workouts.