Fitbit and insomnia? Surely not

Options
I got a Fitbit for Christmas and the only time I take it off is when I'm in the shower. I however noticed my sleep got worse. I'm an early riser anyway but I was finding it difficult to get to sleep and to stay asleep. Sometimes my Fitbit records I'd only slept for 3 hours and I go to work shattered.

Anyway, last night I took it off before going to bed and I slept very well.

Coincidence?

I haven't worn it all day as scared to but it really motivates me to move more - exercise, walking etc.

What do y'all think?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how the Fitbit would make your sleep worse (unless it's somehow provoked by anxiety by knowing that your sleep is being tracked and wanting to perform well). Is it comfortable? Occasionally I'll wake up if my wrist has swollen a bit and my Fitbit is now too tight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It's just a watch...I don't see how it could possibly have anything to do with your insomnia.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It does not take much to interfere with my sleep. I am not sure a watch could do it but I would not rule it out. If it felt tight, I slept in a way that I felt it more than I should, it bothered me with a light that came on sporadically, it might be enough.

I eventually adjust if it is something I absolutely must wear like a brace for an injury. I would not force myself to adjust to something like a watch.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I can’t imagine how this could be true but I do know someone else who said the same thing so hey, maybe there is something to it!
    You’ll have to do some experimenting. Maybe try a transitional watch too and try to see if it’s just the physical presence of something on your wrist or the electrical signal.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Interesting to me, I always wore the Fitbit flex with no heartrate, two Christmases ago I got the Alta HR and after that I COULD NOT sleep! I googled everything I could, the magnetic waves from the HR monitor, maybe it was sending electric pulses thru my arms, heck I dunno I was desperate to figure out why all of a sudden I had awful insomnia, never found an answer, now I just take a unisom and hope for good sleep🤷
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    And I thought of another possibility. Is it giving you buzzes for texts and notifications during the night? I put my phone on do not disturb at night but I know lots of people don't.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I take my Garmin off when I sleep. I'm not that interested in the sleep data, and find I sleep better without it. With it on, it just feel uncomfortable and I feel more wakeful.
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to wear my Fitbit for sleep but it made me wake throughout the night, I became a bit obsessed with my sleep patterns so now take it off each night. Maybe a psychological issue but its definitely worth taking it off.
  • 1MinuteWithTina
    1MinuteWithTina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I no longer wear it to bed.
  • Saskatchebun
    Saskatchebun Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't sleep well with mine on either and have been struggling to make it work. I think its disturbing my sleep with the light going on as I move a fair bit. I'm going to take mine off and see if that helps!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Mine disturbed my sleep as well. I tend to move around quite a bit and pillow my head on my arms. So everytime I moved and put my head on my wrists, I'd feel the watch and wake up. I also had that when in hospital with the IVs. Moving = feeling those foreign bodies = waking up.

I sleep so much better without the Fitbit on my wrist. :smile:
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tried sleeping with it for a few weeks, but now I take it off. I can't sleep while wearing it.