Office job- any easy at desk exercise suggestions?

Options
I have an office job where i sit almost the entire time, is there anything i can do to at my desk to increase activity?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Can you get up and walk at lunch?
    Does your building have stairs to climb?
    Can you get a standing desk?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Can you ask that your desk be converted into a standing desk?
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Reverse ab crunches in the chair, best you can. Take the stairs
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and tea so that i need to get up and pee several times in the day :#
    Also go for walks on my lunchbreak sometimes. And if I need to speak with someone, I walk over to them rather than emai/call.
  • HummingStephanie
    Options
    My work is cheap, so they're not going ti give me anything. Lol. Its a secure building so walking around is pretty limited. :s At lunch, i will go walk the parking lot when its not too cold out.
  • HummingStephanie
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and tea so that i need to get up and pee several times in the day :#
    Also go for walks on my lunchbreak sometimes. And if I need to speak with someone, I walk over to them rather than emai/call.

I print extra stuff to walk to the printer. :D they're pretty on top of people to stay where they're suppose to be. Or they think you're not working.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk and bought a mini stepper. Also an amazing core exercise is to lean your forearms on the desk and depress your shoulder blades, then keeping upright (don’t lean forward), raise your knees until the hit the underside of the desk. You will look like you are seated in an invisible chair. Hold for as long as you can. You can also do negative muscle ups if you are looking for upper body.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    My work is cheap, so they're not going ti give me anything. Lol. Its a secure building so walking around is pretty limited. :s At lunch, i will go walk the parking lot when its not too cold out.

If you can get a doctor or physical therapist to write a note saying you need the adjustable desk for medical reasons they have to get one as a reasonable accommodation (in the US at least).

Or buy one for yourself, around $300 for a nice adapter that will sit on a regular desk. Has done wonders for my back issues.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Desk cycle
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have an office job where i sit almost the entire time, is there anything i can do to at my desk to increase activity?

I get up every hour and take the scenic route to the bathroom and break room to get water. I work on the third floor of our building and I use the 1st floor restroom and break room to get water.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Use an exercise ball to sit on? Works your core and also your posture. I work in 45 to 50 minute blocks. Every hour I take a 40 lb dumbbell and do presses twice a week. I also drop and do 20 pushups. I used to do squats too but decided to hold off on those because I row at lunch and it was too much, so I've moved the squats to at night.

If anyone asks you what you're doing, it takes me literally 3 minutes to do this. And your brain works better with exercise. Tell them that. They should try it.

Eight sets of 20 pushups, 15 pressups (each arm) and 20 weighted squats will make you pretty strong in no time.