It's girl scout cookie time

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    karenscfld wrote: »
    Aldi sells cookies that are identical to Girl Scout cookies, they are way less expensive and just as bad for you!!
    6wcjkvado4mx.png

I'll give you the price but why are they bad for you? Is everyone allergic to them? Do they choke on the crumbs as the cookie is going down so they keel over and die? Are they a bad influence, making people skip school, do drugs, shoplift?

Because of the ChemiKILLZ! ;)

What about the Thank U Berry Munch? It had fruit!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    karenscfld wrote: »
    Aldi sells cookies that are identical to Girl Scout cookies, they are way less expensive and just as bad for you!!
    6wcjkvado4mx.png

I'll give you the price but why are they bad for you? Is everyone allergic to them? Do they choke on the crumbs as the cookie is going down so they keel over and die? Are they a bad influence, making people skip school, do drugs, shoplift?

Because of the ChemiKILLZ! ;)

What about the Thank U Berry Munch? It had fruit!

Yeah, and thin mints have peppermint oil that's supposed to soothe headaches and help with joint pain. Or something...
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    And BTW to those suggesting places to buy similar/same cookies....you're missing the point...most of us are basically saying we're not buying them because they're the best cookies in the world, but to support Girl Scouts.
    I'd never buy knock-offs at a grocery store.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited February 2020
    And BTW to those suggesting places to buy similar/same cookies....you're missing the point...most of us are basically saying we're not buying them because they're the best cookies in the world, but to support Girl Scouts.

Yes, while I am very fond of Thin Mints, I can get that chocolate/mint combo elsewhere - I'm a former GS and am just buying to support the Scouts. Plus I'm a vet and can support active duty troops at the same time. (For more meaningful support, I vote.)

My nephew's Boy Scout troop was selling extremely overpriced Christmas wreaths last fall. I bought one. My mother was too cheap. My sister knows this, and bought one for her :lol:
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    (Aldi has cookies identical to GS cookies.. thin mints, samoas, the pb ones, year around and way cheaper) ;)
  • glassyo
    edited February 2020
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    (Aldi has cookies identical to GS cookies.. thin mints, samoas, the pb ones, year around and way cheaper) ;)

Already been covered. :p

But at least you didn't give the girl scout cookies a slap on the wrist at the same time.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I only just discovered that you can put in your zip and find out where girl scout cookies are being sold near you (by actual girl scouts!). This (https://www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/en/cookies/about-girl-scout-cookies.html) is local for me, but I'd bet other towns have similar finders.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I only just discovered that you can put in your zip and find out where girl scout cookies are being sold near you (by actual girl scouts!). This (https://www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/en/cookies/about-girl-scout-cookies.html) is local for me, but I'd bet other towns have similar finders.

Here's the national link: https://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/all-about-cookies/How-to-Buy.html
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    My British ex used to say that he was disappointed when he found out that girl scout cookies were not actually made of girl scouts!

My sisters told me that you can recreate Thin Mints with Ritz crackers, chocolate, and peppermint extract. I have not tried that yet.

My husband is like a locust with Samoas, too. It's a problem lol.

I like them all. I'm a big fan of Tagalongs, the Savannahs (the lemon ones), and the Smores. We usually get them at Kroger when they are in the lobby.

I did not know that about palm oil. I was lucky enough to be in Malaysia 10 years ago and meet some orangutans face-to-face in an animal rescue sanctuary.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    petition to bring back the pinata cookies...
  • glassyo
    petition to bring back the pinata cookies...

I want cinna-spins (even tho they weren't available in my region...we had a source). I love my 100 calorie packs. :)

The revamped Juliette's sound good and the Kookaburras.

https://eatthis.com/discontinued-girl-scout-cookies/
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member

And to add on here: these girls are learning skills to be used later in life. Sales, customer service, how to give change, teamwork and so on. (Same thing with boy scouts and popcorn)

And I'm not saying you have to buy any. But if you don't want to buy any and see them selling outside the store, bank, church or wherever they may set up a booth, please don't go out of your way to ignore them. If they approach you, please be nice/polite and say no thank you. Even smile and wish them good luck with their sales.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Meh. Never understood the hype.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Have two boxes of thin mints on the kitchen counter still unopened for a week. 🤯
    Typically it would be gone by now. 😂
  • Carlos_421
    I love girl scout cookies. I'm sure there's some nostalgia (I was a girl scout in elementary school) but I love them all, even the Trefoils.

Trefoils are my second favorite, after Samoas.

They are my third favorite, after Thin Mints and Samoas. Then probably tagalongs.

Apparently there's a smores cookie and a toffee cookie now? https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/17/girl-scout-cookies-2020-flavors-thin-mints-samoas-differ-us/4487968002/

It seems they rotate other flavors.

I tried the smores last year. Boring...

Is the toffee the gluten-free one?

Looks like it is. I wonder if the price is different because of that.

They're $6 instead of the $5. I actually really like the toffee ones.

I'm looking forward to trefoils, tagalongs refrigerated, do si dos...

I LOVE the thanks a lot but we don't get them in my region. I have to hope one of our clients brings one or two packages (if we even have girl scout clients anymore. They grow up so fast *sniffle*)

I buy a box of savannahs for a different taste.

I'd like the samoas better without the coconut.

Ohhhh, I've had the Thanks a Lots once. I think it was a cousin in New York we bought cookies from. I had to look them up to remember but those are definitely good.

Those are the only ones I'll choose to eat.
    But they're basically just Keebler Fudge Stripes.
  • Carlos_421
    NovusDies wrote: »
    07p24tmwtzuj.jpg

I have never eaten one of those. For the most part I hate coconut flakes.

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. ;)

How do you feel about margaritas?

I love margaritas. I have cut back on my alcohol these days so do not think I will be drinking enough to start eating gs cookies.

I have tried to like them. I see everyone raving about them but to me the worst store bought cookie is still better.

They basically *are* the store bought cookies. One of the bakeries, Little Brownie Bakers, is a subsidiary of Keebler.

This confirms my stance that Thanks-a-lots are just Keebler Fudge Stripes without the stripes.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    so in summary:
    - not about the cookies but about the skillz the GS are developing
    - you can buy similar cookies from other stores if you like the cookies
    - you can donate cookies to troops if you don't want to eat them (which last time i deployed in 2009, there were USO ladies at the airport handing out boxes to us as we checked into our flight)
  • glassyo
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    07p24tmwtzuj.jpg

I love margaritas. I have cut back on my alcohol these days so do not think I will be drinking enough to start eating gs cookies.

I have tried to like them. I see everyone raving about them but to me the worst store bought cookie is still better.

They basically *are* the store bought cookies. One of the bakeries, Little Brownie Bakers, is a subsidiary of Keebler.

This confirms my stance that Thanks-a-lots are just Keebler Fudge Stripes without the stripes.

I really love those fudge stripes.

I'm trying to find the equivalant to the trefoils tho. Such a simple cookie but I don't think I've seen any straight up shortbread cookies being sold in a market.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    07p24tmwtzuj.jpg

I'm trying to find the equivalant to the trefoils tho. Such a simple cookie but I don't think I've seen any straight up shortbread cookies being sold in a market.

Lorna Doones?
  • glassyo
    07p24tmwtzuj.jpg

Lorna Doones?

Hmmm I do love me some Lorna Doones. And they come in 100 calorie packs.

I was probably thinking more in terms of shape and calories per cookie? I don't know! But good pull. :)