total beginner needing help.

weight: 77.6kg
body fat 23.1%
visceral fat 10
muscle mass 56.06kg
water 52.7%
metabolic age 37 (i am almost 36)

I want to compete in September but still BF my wee baby and will be for the time being.
my BMR is 1658 according to these scales, I am 5"5.
As previously discussed I have set my calories to maintenance as I am breastfeeding and hoping that any cut I have is from feeding.
Any tips for my macros? how many calories I should eat? I'm currently eating around 2050 per day.

Replies

• Hi
    If you are a beginner to resistance training then get yourself on an established programme. Keep protein high 1 g per pound of lean body mass. Be patient. I can’t give you advice re breastfeeding other than I’ve seen posts from others about using that to create the deficit and that sounds like what you plan to do. Perhaps others will chime in.

When you say you want to compete in September, is that in powerlifting or in a bodybuilding competition?
  • kimspearey
    kimspearey Posts: 19 Member
    Bodybuilding
  • kimspearey
    I am following a training schedule but not anything for eating
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Do you have a coach? I would highly recommend you find a good reputable coach if you plan to compete to help you get there in a safe way as well as help you with the post-show gain/recovery. You can do it on your own but I would definitely do your research and talk to other competitors in the division for feedback.

The thing is bodybuilding is a very dedicated sport. It is not impossible, but it can be very difficult if you have a young baby (which it sounds like you do). Also depending on the field you will be required to get very lean and if you plan to continue to breastfeed while you prep that could likely have a negative impact on that, so all things to consider (not trying to discourage you of course just want you to be aware of these things )

In terms of macros I would aim for protein 1g per lb goal weight/lean body mass (minimum), fat 0.4g per lb goal weight (minimum) them rest carbs. I would set your intake to maintenance and let breastfeeding create your deficit, keep an eye to make sure you aren't losing too fast or it is affecting your supply.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • kimspearey
    Already set to maintenance from you advice before and that’s working really well for me. Baby will be almost 1 when I compete so will probably be phasing out breastfeeding then anyways as I go into a cut/ prep.
    Thanks so much for your advice.
    I training with a pt now but he’s not sure about food etc when bf
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Oh yes I remember now ;)

Many PTs can't give out strict nutrition advice depending on where you live especially for breastfeeding it might be a liability issue.

I personally don't compete but maybe someone who does can offer their input to give you more advice as to how to go about it.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Category is going to make a huge difference. The actual bobybuilding class versus bikini are very different animals in body fat terms. Getting into the bodyfat for most women BB classes almost requires losing a period temporarily for most women is my understanding. I can't imagine breastfeeding would keep going anywhere near that level.
    I'm not sure about women's competitions, but the trend in natural men's BB has been a lot of people doing diets for as long as 6 months in people who already have built their mass.
    Hopefully you'd find things less competitive than that if you're doing something very local and something more like bikini division. Also, you hopefully have reasonable expectations on how it will go.
    This is all stuff worth discussing with someone who's a coach, particularly aware of competitions local to your region - I'm guessing you're not in the USA because you're using civilized measurements for weight. Even if you wouldn't hire a coach for the competition, just discussing expectations with one could save a lot of false ideas.
  • kimspearey
    edited February 2020
    Maybe I’m dreaming and won’t be able to do it- it’s a bikini/ physique class I’m going to go for, not full on bodybuilding and I’m under no false illusion, I know I likely won’t place but I’m doing this for me and nothing else. I just want to achieve getting on that stage and looking the best I possibly can.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    kimspearey wrote: »
    Maybe I’m dreaming and won’t be able to do it- it’s a bikini/ physique class I’m going to go for, not full on bodybuilding and I’m under no false illusion, I know I likely won’t place but I’m doing this for me and nothing else. I just want to achieve getting on that stage and looking the best I possibly can.

For those classes in women's, I believe there's a bit more a genetics/luck in things like the face, general bodyshape to it that might make it more possible to place as a beginner. Diet will probably need to be controlled, but the severity of restriction will luckily be nothing like BB division. The right show can matter too. I've heard some people win the right local by showing up with just weeks or a month of dieting and already being built, but the same guys could lose a more competitive show even with six months of dieting. So, doing it as something you want as an experience is a great attitude.
  • kimspearey
    Thankyou x I’m attending the posing and training club in 2 weekends time so hopefully that will help too.