Activity Level

Options
Enaksmada
Enaksmada Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not sure what Activity Level I should put myself in and want to know for accuracy.

Although I am a Uni Computing student (not very active) I walk everywhere and it is ~10-15min walk to lectures where I have 2 on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays where I have an hour break where I go home for lunch.
I do Tae kwon-do where we can do a range of activities including: basics, sparring, pads/board breaking and on occasion circuit training. Tae kwon-do is at the uni aswell so I usually walk there and back as well. but I don't track steps while training.

The minimum activity I roughly do in a normal week is as follows:
  • Monday: 6000 steps and 1hour Tae kwon-do session
  • Tuesday: 1000 steps
  • Wednesday: 2000 steps and 1hour Tae kwon-do session
  • Thursday: 4000 steps
  • Friday: 4000 steps
  • Saturday: 1000 steps
  • Sunday: 1000 steps

I on also do extra TKD training on Sundays once a month (I get driven there by a friend as it is 30 min drive) and on wednesdays I sometimes do 10min sparring with a friend as a warm-up.

If people can help me know what Activity Level I should be in, the would be much appreciated.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,311 Member
    Options
    When thinking about activity level:

If MFP sets your calorie goal, don't count your TKD as part of your activity level. Log that separately when you do it, and eat those calorie back, too. If you don't want to log it separately, use an external TDEE calculator to estimate your needs, subtract a reasonable percentage for weight loss, and set your calorie goal in MFP manually rather than letting MFP calculate it.

Use your best guess at your average daily steps, not your minimum steps.

For example, on Thursdays and Fridays you walk 10-15 minutes to lectures (maybe twice?) and it sounds like walk home for lunch besides. Is that really only 4000 steps? That's hard to believe.

Use average steps. I think you're more than sedentary.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add: how are you determining how many steps you are taking, as stated in your opening post?
    If you are using an activity tracker, you could perhaps link it with MFP and enter your activity level as sedentary. On days when you exceed a sedentary activity level, MFP will then give you extra calories to consume.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I agree with Ann, I would use Lightly Active and then add in a couple hundred on the TKD days by adding exercise to the Exercise portion of this site.

Do that for 4-6 weeks and log all your food. At the end of that 4-6 weeks, adjust if your weight isn't doing what you expect. I wouldn't make adjustments any sooner than that because you really need to gather some trending data and that's about how long it will take to collect that data.
  • Enaksmada
    Enaksmada Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If MFP sets your calorie goal, don't count your TKD as part of your activity level. Log that separately when you do it, and eat those calorie back, too. If you don't want to log it separately, use an external TDEE calculator to estimate your needs, subtract a reasonable percentage for weight loss, and set your calorie goal in MFP manually rather than letting MFP calculate it.

For example, on Thursdays and Fridays you walk 10-15 minutes to lectures (maybe twice?) and it sounds like walk home for lunch besides. Is that really only 4000 steps? That's hard to believe.

yeah, I was definitely rounding down my steps, the distance is closer to 10 minutes with 15min being whether my housemate wants to go to shop XD. I relooked at the average over the past month (excluding outliers) and it is a lot higher than what was previously stated (~3800 on average compared to previously stated ~2700). With outliers it changes to ~4400
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Enaksmada wrote: »

yeah, I was definitely rounding down my steps, the distance is closer to 10 minutes with 15min being whether my housemate wants to go to shop XD. I relooked at the average over the past month (excluding outliers) and it is a lot higher than what was previously stated (~3800 on average compared to previously stated ~2700). With outliers it changes to ~4400

3800 somewhere heading up toward the upper end of sedentary, lower end of lightly active (or whatever the next level is called in the version of the app you're using, because it varies).

If you're trying to lose at an aggressive rate, I'd go with the higher activity level for 4-6 weeks to start, and monitor results. If you're trying to lose very slowly (like 0.5 pound/week), I'd go withe sedentary. (This is to avoid stacking up multiple risks to healthy loss by creating too big a deficit).

I'm still skeptical about your 3800, because I am really, really, inactive - retired li'l ol' lady - and just puttering around the house getting food and doing minor essential stuff rarely puts me below 3000 steps of all-day monitoring, when I don't even leave the house. Are you wearing a monitoring device (Fitbit or whatever) consistently?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

3800 somewhere heading up toward the upper end of sedentary, lower end of lightly active (or whatever the next level is called in the version of the app you're using, because it varies).

If you're trying to lose at an aggressive rate, I'd go with the higher activity level for 4-6 weeks to start, and monitor results. If you're trying to lose very slowly (like 0.5 pound/week), I'd go withe sedentary. (This is to avoid stacking up multiple risks to healthy loss by creating too big a deficit).

I'm still skeptical about your 3800, because I am really, really, inactive - retired li'l ol' lady - and just puttering around the house getting food and doing minor essential stuff rarely puts me below 3000 steps of all-day monitoring, when I don't even leave the house. Are you wearing a monitoring device (Fitbit or whatever) consistently?

I imagine if buried in a computer most of the time and if OP lives in student digs close to campus it's entirely possible. My brother was a computing student, we were lucky he wasn't plugged directly into the pc 24/7
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I imagine if buried in a computer most of the time and if OP lives in student digs close to campus it's entirely possible. My brother was a computing student, we were lucky he wasn't plugged directly into the pc 24/7

Oh, yes, absolutely possible: That's why I suggested the approach I did, of lightly active if targeting fast loss, and sedentary if targeting slow loss, since 3800 is getting toward the border.

After my bad experience with losing too fast by accident, I hate to see anyone else accidentally do it - that's behind my skepticism (not denial, skepticism ;) ). After the 4-6 week shakedown period, OP will know what to do based on results.