Canadian Air Force Exercise Program XBX

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm retired RCAF and I've never heard of this unless it was some old program from pre-integration. RCAF is now a component of the Canadian Armed Forces and has been since the late 60's and uses the CAF fitness standards applied to all three elements (air, navy, and army).

Well you learn something new about some one everyday :) never realized you were a Canuck.

It looks earlier than the 1960's. I imagine 'Dad's Army' doing it. (Old UK tv comedy about WWII home guard)

Cheers, h.

I know we hide well. ;) I've never heard of that I'll have to look into it since I love British comedy.

I was thinking the unification happened around 67, but it's been awhile I'll have to check it up.
  • lazymjmarcia
    lazymjmarcia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used the XBX (ten basic exercises) program in the 1960s in high school and college. The US Air Force even used XBX as an alternative to the mile and a half run in the early to mid 1970s. I used it then because I'm not a runner no matter how hard I try.
    There is a companion program for men called 5BX (five basic exercises) that is more strength-oriented.
    Both programs were developed in the 1950s. The publication date on my pamphlet is 1957. The original women's pamphlet had a hot pink cover.
    I'm 71 and have restarted this program. It's a great program for maximum benefits in minimum time.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Canada has an Air Force?

The number of Americans who think Canada is some kind of 3rd world country never fail to amaze me.

and we all live in igloos & take dog sleds to work! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP, the XBX program was designed to help female military members reach and maintain the fitness requirement for active service. It's a great "entry-level" type of program if you're tight for time, space and equipment.

As to eating back calories it's probably not something to worry about until your sessions get longer and / or more intense as a 12 minute session isn't going to burn a lot of calories (more of you were doing a high intensity interval program)

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, and this is a good first step.

What are you talking aboot...I ride my Moose to work :D

I wonder what year this workout was created. I am not knocking it all, but in my mind Canadian Air Force should be fit and this seems to be a beginner workout.

I would enter them as Calisthenics! Great place to start out!! Oh and of course Welcome!!!
  • citysongbird
    citysongbird Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hooray for XBX. You get out what you put into anything you do. I would be surprised if someone got all the way through the levels without becoming physically fit. Especially if you consider ways to modify as your strength increases (i.e. adding weights, increasing push up incline, etc). Sometimes simplicity is accurate and effective.

As for me, I've been mostly bedridden/reclining for the past year and the super easy first day of XBX was an encouragement to my weak frame. I'm looking forward to the upcoming weeks. I'll take 1950s fitness as far as it'll go. To heck with all the naysayers!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    One of my older co-workers gave me a copy of the 5BX program 20 something years ago. I thought it was a great plan for taking someone from next to no strength to considerably strong. I'm a fan.
  • amigababy
    amigababy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm currently on week 3 of this, XBX.
    As a serial dropout of exercise programs, DVDs etc, the progressive nature of this is great for me, ticking off the days till I move up a level. It has my target level as being 11, but we'll see ( I can imagine doing more but that's 2 months away)
  • monique6394
    monique6394 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    XBX lives on forever. I have the original pamphlet for women. The publication date is 1961 (I have no idea where I acquired it). I used this program almost 20 years ago when my babies were small and I could not get out of the house to exercise. It was fantastic to get back into shape. It started my fitness journey which led to me completing 1/2 Iron Man Triathlon when I was 40. A journey of a thousand steps starts with the first step.

I have just restarted this program (I am now 51) with my youngest daughter (16) in the never-ending lockdown pandemic. Our local Y has been closed for most of the last year, as well as all other recreational facilities. This program allows you to do simple exercises (leg raises, jumping jacks, pushups etc) and provides progression if you are starting from the couch. Think of it as 'couch to fitness' kind of program like the 'couch to 5km' running programs.

This program may be old, but allows for progression at ANY age, and ANY stage of fitness. I am a huge fan of this program, and you really see results as long a you stick with it - just like every fitness program.