MY 'healthy breakfast' is 1200+ calories what the HECK???!! SHOCKED

guys i need some advice for breakfast i had oats with water golden syrup a splash of milk chia seeds 1/2 avocado and 1/2 a banana pumpkin seeds and a glass of nesquick chocolate milk it says ive already had about 1200 calories , thats my daily intake WHAT THE HECK??? and i only just feel full any advice , i thought i was been healthy ??? please help me i thought i was been healthy like seriously omg !!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Like a bank statement you have to buget those calories. You need to get a handle on how many calories are in your favorite foods. Eating "healthy" can mean weight gain. There are foods that can help you feel full without blowing your calories. There are several threads on here asking about them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2020
    Healthy is a term open to interpretation. Weight loss happens when you eat less calories than your body burns. Weigh, measure and record everything that you eat and drink accurately. People can over eat, perceived, healthy foods, the same as any other food. Stay at a calorie deficit, plan and consume your meals and snacks, in a way that will work best to keep you satiated through the day, and keep you in a calorie deficit.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Uh yeh, healthy and low cal doesn't always go hand in hand. :( Some of those foods, while they might be healthy, are extremely high in calories. Best to check the calorie amount in foods before you eat them. I use Chia seeds very occasionally partly for that reason. I do eat 1/2 avocado every day but factor the calories into my daily total. Syrup is a very occasional thing as well for me. And drinking flavored milk just doesn't happen for me. But then I only use skim milk to make my oatmeal with.
    My daily breakfast usually consists of oatmeal made with skim milk(if I have any on hand), half a banana. Period. And that's after my early morning coffee.
    Reading labels, getting to know where calories are, it's all a balance act and you'll soon learn which calories are the most important for you. Ex. I will never give up my peanut butter; high cal. but I make it fit. With lots of tweaking and switching around, you'll figure it out. :)
    To feel fuller, I've been trying to incorporate a lot more veggies into my diet, even for breakfasts sometimes. You can usually eat more for less calories.
    Good luck!!! Learning to live and eat differently is a whole new learning curve.
  • ebeever115
    ebeever115 Posts: 42 Member
    I totally understand the frustration, I'm the same way! It's shocking sometimes when you really break down what that "healthy" meal comes out to.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Everything has calories, even healthy foods! 1200 calories is a low goal, so you really have to be careful with your calorie allotment. I try to plan my meals for the day in the morning, so I don't end up running out at lunchtime.

I like to eat overnight oats for breakfast, and it seems similar to what you are eating, but it's about 320 calories.
    40g dry oats, 1/2 cup flaxseed milk, 1tsp maple syrup, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 banana. Mix together the oats, milk, syrup, and seeds the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight. Add the banana and peanut butter in the morning. Sometimes I switch it up and add different fruits in the morning.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Did you weigh all these items? because that seems high to me. That being said, I eat "healthy breakfast" every day and it is still around 800 calories, but my daily limit is around TWICE that of yours. You really have to watch things on just 1200 calories.

Its seems dead on for me.

Oats - 300 calories for 2 cups cooked
    Golden syrup - 240 calories in 1/4cup
    Half a banana - 55 cals
    Half an avocado - 125
    Calories in 2 tablespoons chia seeds - 260
    Calories in 8oz nesquick- 250
    Calories in 1/4 c pumpkin seeds - 70

Total = 1300 calories and that's for very reasonable portions of each (and likely smaller portions than consumed of some of it, as its VERY easy to drink 12 and hot 8oz of milk, pour an extra 1/8c of syrup, etc).
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Did you weigh all these items? because that seems high to me. That being said, I eat "healthy breakfast" every day and it is still around 800 calories, but my daily limit is around TWICE that of yours. You really have to watch things on just 1200 calories.

Its seems dead on for me.

Oats - 300 calories for 2 cups cooked
    Golden syrup - 240 calories in 1/4cup
    Half a banana - 55 cals
    Half an avocado - 125
    Calories in 2 tablespoons chia seeds - 260
    Calories in 8oz nesquick- 250
    Calories in 1/4 c pumpkin seeds - 70

Total = 1300 calories and that's for very reasonable portions of each (and likely smaller portions than consumed of some of it, as its VERY easy to drink 12 and hot 8oz of milk, pour an extra 1/8c of syrup, etc).

I stand corrected :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2020
    guys i need some advice for breakfast i had oats with water golden syrup a splash of milk chia seeds 1/2 avocado and 1/2 a banana pumpkin seeds and a glass of nesquick chocolate milk it says ive already had about 1200 calories , thats my daily intake WHAT THE HECK??? and i only just feel full any advice , i thought i was been healthy ??? please help me i thought i was been healthy like seriously omg !!

The nutritional healthfulness of food has nothing to do with caloric density. There are any number of foods that are really healthy, but also calorie dense. There are also many foods with little nutritional value that are low calorie.

This is a learning process.
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    Also, make sure you weigh everything... measuring cups cant be trusted.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

This 1,000 times. I can't for the life of me do volume. Give me weight measurements. I don't care if it's imperial. I'll convert them to metric but I need to go by weight :D I love my food scale
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Piggybacking off the rest of these posts about healthy meals calorie counts. Article that talks about "same meal, different portions" here.