Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I've had the flu for the last week. I think I'm finally over it - no fever for the last 24 but hopped on the scale today and lost 9 pounds. I was slamming protein drinks left and right and hoping I didn't drop too much lean mass. I feel and look deflated though. I made sure I kept hydrated as I could.

I still don't think I'm ready for the gym yet. Maybe Wednesday. :(

If it's any consolation the few studies I've seen say that you can take up to 2-3 weeks off strength training before you experience any muscle atrophy from "detraining". Prior to that most of the appearance that your muscles are shrinking is just due to glycogen depletion and dehydration, which comes back quickly when you can start eating and drinking normally again.

Thanks - I know I'm just being paranoid and that my body dysmorphia is just rearing it's ugly head. I'm recovered enough to get to the gym today so hopefully I'll swell back up and be able to regain the lost weight pretty quickly. My appetite is still suffering but I've huge bags of mass gainer I can turn to in a pinch. ;)
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? So much sick going around hopefully everyone is recovering or staying healthy!.

Doing well, thanks for the check in post. January was flu month for all at home but we've had a brief respite so far in Feb. Looks like one kid ( which means both might soon) is getting a cold but it's par for the course with both of them in daycare.

Training is going well, a couple niggly issues that pop up from time to time, mostly due to my prev disc hernia and somewhat relatedly knee ligament stuff. But squats continue to progress and continue to do the job in terms of keeping me stable.

Sleep, these days though, is a valuable commodity I am not able to procure the right amounts of, sadly. It is what it is
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »

Maintenance or especially trying to bulk in winter isn’t fun, at first it’s happy days, basically a see food diet but gets old very quickly.

My struggles start when the work calms down and I decide to cut, suddenly that 6k goes down to about 3.5k and I’m starving constantly, currently at just under 3k and findinding it really difficult

I tried to bulk this year, something I haven't done in awhile, and it was a lot like that. I enjoyed it, but way too many instances of, "ugh, why did I eat all that?!". I didn't count calories, but basically ate as much as I possibly could, probably averaging 5,500-6000 calories a day, and I gained a measly 10lb. I swear I think it's all water, I don't think I gained any muscle, or fat, but I did get stronger, so we'll see. It seems age and digestive issues/limitations will keep me smaller now, compared to when I was younger. I just started cutting at 3,500 and I'm hungry too. People think that's crazy, but it's relative. I only managed to bulk up to 225lb. at 5'9". For reference, how big are you?
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

Every weekend I seem to gain about 2-3lbs, which naturally comes off over the course of the week...

I've been trying to keep about a 0.5lb of the weekend gain rather than losing it all by the end of the week and it's been working for the last 9lbs...

However last Monday I seemed to be down a little bit comparatively to the previous week and was a little worried I might not be able to come in a 0.5lb heavier this Friday and might even have lost weight by weeks end...

However I'm off work for the next four days which means my activity drops, now I'm concerned about coming in this Friday too heavy 🤷🏽‍♂️...

I guess we'll see what the tape measure says on Friday and I won't put too much stock in it... Reasses next week
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Every weekend I seem to gain about 2-3lbs, which naturally comes off over the course of the week...

I've been trying to keep about a 0.5lb of the weekend gain rather than losing it all by the end of the week and it's been working for the last 9lbs...

However last Monday I seemed to be down a little bit comparatively to the previous week and was a little worried I might not be able to come in a 0.5lb heavier this Friday and might even have lost weight by weeks end...

However I'm off work for the next four days which means my activity drops, now I'm concerned about coming in this Friday too heavy 🤷🏽‍♂️...

I guess we'll see what the tape measure says on Friday and I won't put too much stock in it... Reasses next week

I would assume that like weight loss, controlled weight gain isn't necessarily always linear for the same variability in mass/fluid retention?
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    steveko89 wrote: »

I would assume that like weight loss, controlled weight gain isn't necessarily always linear for the same variability in mass/fluid retention?

Oh yeah definitely...

For myself neither have been anything but linear, it's been the same thing for years now...

Weightloss, I gain 2-3lbs over the weekend, deficit or not... Then it all comes off Mon-Fri and hopefully and extra 0.5-1lb... That's what Weightloss looks like for myself...

This is why I don't put to much stock in cico, there's just so much more at work here... It's why so many people get frustrated with themselves and come on mfp creating threads like "What am I doing wrong, 1k calories a day and still not losing"...

The fluctuations from a day of rest, or one take out meal, deficit or not (for all the cico zealots out there) will play hell on the scale and really *kitten* with your head...

I've read in many cases for people who seek help for eating disorders, the first step is often deleting mfp...

Sorry all I know I took a bit of tangent there
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    For myself neither have been anything but linear, it's been the same thing for years now...

Weightloss, I gain 2-3lbs over the weekend, deficit or not... Then it all comes off Mon-Fri and hopefully and extra 0.5-1lb... That's what Weightloss looks like for myself...

This is why I don't put to much stock in cico, there's just so much more at work here... It's why so many people get frustrated with themselves and come on mfp creating threads like "What am I doing wrong, 1k calories a day and still not losing"...

The fluctuations from a day of rest, or one take out meal, deficit or not (for all the cico zealots out there) will play hell on the scale and really *kitten* with your head...

I've read in many cases for people who seek help for eating disorders, the first step is often deleting mfp...

Sorry all I know I took a bit of tangent there

I should let it go, but CICO (Calories In Calories Out) is the only thing that matters in a healthy person trying to lose, or gain, weight. What doesn't matter are short-term variations in your weight because of fluid retention and food digestion. Pretty simple energy-balance process. How hard, or easy, it is to apply is another matter.

My respect to you Gary but I'm afraid we are just going to have to disagree on this point...

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    ryanflebbe wrote: »

Maintenance or especially trying to bulk in winter isn’t fun, at first it’s happy days, basically a see food diet but gets old very quickly.

My struggles start when the work calms down and I decide to cut, suddenly that 6k goes down to about 3.5k and I’m starving constantly, currently at just under 3k and findinding it really difficult

I tried to bulk this year, something I haven't done in awhile, and it was a lot like that. I enjoyed it, but way too many instances of, "ugh, why did I eat all that?!". I didn't count calories, but basically ate as much as I possibly could, probably averaging 5,500-6000 calories a day, and I gained a measly 10lb. I swear I think it's all water, I don't think I gained any muscle, or fat, but I did get stronger, so we'll see. It seems age and digestive issues/limitations will keep me smaller now, compared to when I was younger. I just started cutting at 3,500 and I'm hungry too. People think that's crazy, but it's relative. I only managed to bulk up to 225lb. at 5'9". For reference, how big are you?

I’m 6ft
    Currently at 218lb down from about 228lb.
    I’ve been as high as 245lb on an all out bulk but didn’t feel great and blood work etc went to rat *kitten*, these days I won’t go above 230lb, I’ll usually gain 10lb maybe 15lb at push on a bulk, all in the hope of gaining a couple of lb’s actual muscle.

I think I’m starting to hate newbie lifters and their easy muscle gains 😂
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Yeah, you eat more, you get bigger and softer, you eat less you get smaller and leaner. I swear, I don't think my muscles have actually changed in like 5 years, hahaha.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    How is everyone doing? So much sick going around hopefully everyone is recovering or staying healthy!

Things are going well over here. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and thought - wow I look really lean, almost too lean. Which could possibly mean I am not actually maintaining but losing since physique changes do not happen that fast unless I am in a deficit. Uch. Maybe by some chance I am recomping. According to trend weight I am losing again but I am not giving it enough data points because I keep forgetting :s . I also need to pick up a measuring tape and actually take measurements soon to help track progress.

Lift wise- I am definitely getting stronger and pushing myself more. The only lift I am struggling with is my squats (barbell-wise I only do Zercher squats) they just feel so heavy the past two sessions and my right quad is just so tight, so I gotta work on those.

Things are mediocre on the diet side. It seems like every time i hit in the 160's i go back up. Again at 172-173 these past few weeks. I am seeing some recomposition but i would much rather get leaner faster. I am noticing that calorie counting is causing me a bit of craziness and always working to max out my budget.

Workout wise, i am doing very well. Overall increases in volume and loading. Been consistent with my 5 day program, except when i am on travel for work. Unfortunately, i have a lot in March.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? So much sick going around hopefully everyone is recovering or staying healthy!

Things are going well over here. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and thought - wow I look really lean, almost too lean. Which could possibly mean I am not actually maintaining but losing since physique changes do not happen that fast unless I am in a deficit. Uch. Maybe by some chance I am recomping. According to trend weight I am losing again but I am not giving it enough data points because I keep forgetting :s . I also need to pick up a measuring tape and actually take measurements soon to help track progress.

Lift wise- I am definitely getting stronger and pushing myself more. The only lift I am struggling with is my squats (barbell-wise I only do Zercher squats) they just feel so heavy the past two sessions and my right quad is just so tight, so I gotta work on those.

Things are mediocre on the diet side. It seems like every time i hit in the 160's i go back up. Again at 172-173 these past few weeks. I am seeing some recomposition but i would much rather get leaner faster. I am noticing that calorie counting is causing me a bit of craziness and always working to max out my budget.

Workout wise, i am doing very well. Overall increases in volume and loading. Been consistent with my 5 day program, except when i am on travel for work. Unfortunately, i have a lot in March.

Oh ya travelling and keeping on program is definitely tricky. Hopefully it's not too crazy for you in the upcoming months.

What are your plans after you lean down and get to goal? Would you hang out there and maintain for a while or run a bulk?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Oh ya travelling and keeping on program is definitely tricky. Hopefully it's not too crazy for you in the upcoming months.

What are your plans after you lean down and get to goal? Would you hang out there and maintain for a while or run a bulk?

My goal is to get lean enough for abs (probably low 160s) and then slowly build back up to low or mid 170s. I believe the 160s will be too low for my liking.

From a bulk, i may just try to creep up 1/2-1 lb a month), instead of a traditional bulk. But i haven't developed the full plan. And i have also debated if i want to run a TKD bulk or low carb.
  • Officially started another cut. On 1600 calories, increase in cardio, decrease in lifting (#days and load).
  • sardelsa

My goal is to get lean enough for abs (probably low 160s) and then slowly build back up to low or mid 170s. I believe the 160s will be too low for my liking.

From a bulk, i may just try to creep up 1/2-1 lb a month), instead of a traditional bulk. But i haven't developed the full plan. And i have also debated if i want to run a TKD bulk or low carb.

Sounds like a great plan. I would love to know how you get along with the low carb/keto bulk. Keep us all posted.
  • sardelsa
    Sounds like a great plan @cupcakesandproteinshakes just take it slow and steady.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Well I came in at the end of a long weekend about 1-0.5lbs under my target weight for the end of this week... Which means that I really did not gain enough over the weekend to see the type of gains I'm looking for at the end of the week...

However low and behold... 2 nights of Turkey carnitas 😂... Now I'm about 1-1.5lbs over my target for this Friday 🙈😂...

Im fairly certain however that I'll probably drop 1lb or more over the next few days as I flush out the sodium and be right where I want to be around 179.5-180lbs, Friday morning...

I added a rep to my bench and other lifts which is great... The mirror is kind, as are the calipers... And I'll measure my progress literally, on Friday morning...
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Had a national level guy in the gym comment on my leaness and asking when I was competing.

Was a nice compliment but think he’s a
    Tad delusional, I’m definitely not at the 7%bf
    He thought I was, but he was also under the impression he was 10%bf while appearing 6months pregnant😂
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Had a national level guy in the gym comment on my leaness and asking when I was competing.

Was a nice compliment but think he’s a
    Tad delusional, I’m definitely not at the 7%bf
    He thought I was, but he was also under the impression he was 10%bf while appearing 6months pregnant😂

Hah! It's not surprising though. From what I've seen at the gym and even on these forums most guys underestimate their BF% by about 5 points - if not more. I've seen guys who are 25% who think they are 13-15% and that their abs will be popping out any day now.