Sweat impacting grip

I remember seeing a post recently on sweaty palms affecting someone's grip. I think it was on deadlifts. I'm a sweaty monster and had the same problem and recently starting using a hand lotion called Carpe and I have to say it is LIFE CHANGING. I no longer feel like the bar is slipping bc of sweat and am so much more comfortable holding heavier weight longer. Works great for deadlifts/farmers carries and pull ups! absolutely changed my workout so wanted to share!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Wonder if it works on bottoms of feet, lol. I have a grippy yoga mat, but I fear one of these days I’m going to slip and split open like a wishbone.

Good to know. I’ve tried chalk at the gym for lifting but it seems to vanish the instant I rub my sweaty little paws in it.

Where do you get it?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I've read about it but reviews are mixed. i just use gloves instead
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Like @sgt1372 I prefer gloves because I don't like calluses. But my hands used to sweat a lot when running so thank you for the lotion idea. Amazon (Canada) seems to only sell it as a package...

"Carpe Antiperspirant Hand Lotion Package Deal (3 Hand Tubes - Save 22%), Stop Sweaty Hands, Dermatologist-Recommended"
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    The oddest things I've seen was a guy who used to bench with little sponges sold for dishwashing. He would put the abrasive green pads against the bar.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2020
    I prefer this stuff over chalk versions. Dry Hands "The Ultimate Gripping... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00476MDU8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    .. But I tend not to sweat much (so ymmv)

In the end, I switched over to VersaGrips (recommended on these boards here) for my working deadlifts (they really, really, really help particularly if you have tiny hands) (tiny hands = no, you can't overlap your thumb and another nail /wraps don't help due to the now increased bar diameter.
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    Chalk
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Antiperspirant lotion is an interesting concept. Do you find it leaves any residue on the bar? Does it feel like a grip aid (like Dry Hands) that makes your hands a little sticky, or do you apply it early in the day like you would an underarm antiperspirant and it just does its thing all day?