Help -1st 5k...need advice...

Options
I just signed up for a 5k. I thought it said Sept. 23 but it turns out it's the 3rd - tomorrow! ACK! I have never run before...I do an elliptical workout every day that is 7 miles but I don't actually do running outside. First of all...how do you guys prepare the day before? Should I do my usual workouts today or skip it? Do I need to do anything special nutrition wise? What about hydration in the morning? I don't want to have to pee halfway through! LOL! I am so clueless.... HELP ME!!!! :laugh:

Replies

• kdelost630
    Options
    http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/tp/racedaytips.htm

Here are some tips for running your first road race. Also, I found that I drink a lot of water, but stop at least an hour before the race so I have time to let it digest and pee! :) Good luck and HAVE FUN!!
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    It is surprisingly quick....but SO easy to psych yourself out. It is so much easier than in the gym, less boring, more motivating, more fun. You will be fine, just drink enough water. I love road races!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine...if you can do 7 miles on the elliptical without peeing your pants I wouldn't worry about anything!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    O goodness! That is a pickle!

Don't worry. Calm down. I ran my first 5k back in May and I had not been able to run even close to the full distance outside before the day of the race.
    I wouldn't work out today. Usually you want to rest the day before a race. Since you do elliptical, and that's somewhat low impact, you could probaby get away with a short workout tonight if you really want to.

Honestly, I would not try to do anything new. I would eat a good meal (don't load up on carbs or anything that you don't normally do) tonight and a small breakfast in teh morning about an hour or and hour and a half before the race. Eat what you usually eat fr breakfast. Don't do anything new. You want your stomach to be regular and not upset by drastic changes in diet.

Drink a couple of glasses of water about 45 minutes beforehand, so that you can pee before the race starts, and then just go for it.

If you want to try to run, I would alternate a minute of running with 2 minutes of walking or something like that, so that you can finish without killing yourself.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!! I see lots of people just walk their first 5k and that's absolutely fine. As long as you enjoy yourself. Races are great because you get to be around other people who like to walk/run as well. Make friends! Lol
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Don't do a heavy workout the day before. Let your muscles rest so they'll be ready.

Bear in mind that the road doesn't help you move the way the momentum on an elliptical trainer does. It will seem slower to you, but don't let that psych you out.

Running is 85% mental. If you tell yourself you can do it, you can do it.

Finally, remember that running is higher impact than an elliptical. Your hips, knees, and ankles might hurt--don't push yourself too hard too early on as a runner, or you will increase your chance for injury. Take your own pace, even if you feel slow. There will be people who will walk the race at least part of the way, so don't feel pressured to keep up with the front of the pack, or feel bad because you're going slower than you thought you would. The only person you're competing with out there, especially in your first race, is yourself. So just have fun!

You can do it!
  • jspittman22
    Options
    You won't have to pee during the race, even walking the whole thing it wouldn't take you more than an hour. So do drink plenty of water, but give yourself 30 - 45 min to let it "settle" so that you don't get cramps. I wouldn't skip the work out the day before, esp since the eliptical isn't a load-bearing exercise like running. Eat a piece of whole wheat toast with a little honey and an egg about an hour before the race, not too heavy but enough fuel to get you through.

As with most running it's mind over matter so stay mentally strong and you will finish before you know it. Best of luck.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks you so much for all the great advice! I am stressing out but I know I shouldn't. I am just going to do my best - it's better than where I was a year ago for sure! Plus this is for charity... even if I finish last I will know I tried my best and did something worthwhile. :flowerforyou:
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It is surprisingly quick....but SO easy to psych yourself out. It is so much easier than in the gym, less boring, more motivating, more fun. You will be fine, just drink enough water. I love road races!
    I agree. I see so many people get freaked about about running the races but my best times are always in a race. It's so motivating just being there. There are people at all different levels of fitness. No one is going to judge you if you walk the whole thing. Have fun and you will feel amazing when you are done! Good luck!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For a 5k, you don't really need to do anything special the night before. The morning of the race, I usually eat something with a little protein, but not a lot of fiber in it 1.5 hours before the race, as well as some water, especially if the race is in the morning. Get to the race somewhat early to pick up your packet and pin your bib to your shirt. Sometimes there will be porta-potties there, but not always. Do a short warm up jog (.25-.5 mile) and stretch and then wait for the start of the race. Generally, people line up before the start line based on running abilities. I'm a slow runner, so I line up at the back of the pack. Try to maintain your pace, especially at the beginning of the race. I tend to run faster at the very beginning of the race (just because of the excitement of the race atmosphere) and end up dying halfway through. Now when I start a race, I make sure I'm very conscious of my pace.

Don't stress out too much about it and enjoy it. I did my first road race last September and now I'm hooked. =)
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    I am running in one tomorrow myself. Wasn't planning on it, but I am in Upstate NY visiting family and there happens to be a 5k race right down the street from where I'm staying. I'm going to play some tennis this afternoon, but the key is to just have a great time doing it, and it's not about the time, it's about finishing!! Good luck :)
  • artsyathlete
    Options
    Your first race is always a little nerve racking but just think: Instead of a whole month to build up and worry about it you only have one day...think of the stress that will save :). Everyone gave pretty great advice already (hydrate all day today-that will make the biggest difference) but I wanted to stress the "have fun" side of it. Enjoy it! If you must have music maybe just put one ear bud in, talk to your fellow runners, a "good job" as you pass or get passed is nice. Thank the volunteers. Good luck out there tomorrow!

also If the higher impact of running is going to be a problem run/walking at timed intervals really helps with that. I do a run 4min /walk 1 min on a lot of my runs over 13 miles and it makes a big difference for recovery and keeping the pace up at the end. Its best to add the walk breaks in from the begining even before you get tired. Jeff Galloway has a whole program based on it
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    How exciting!!! I ran my first (and only so for) in May. I was so nervous at the starting line that my heart rate was 90. I did not exercise the day before. I drank lots of water one and two days prior to the race. I ate the food I normally eat but very little the morning of the race. I am so excited for you. Your first one. I gave it my best effort and reaped a nice time. Whatever you do, it is a great accomplishment. I smiled for a whole week!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing... I only run on a treadmill and I ran my race just fine. It feels different but I was so nervous that I hardly noticed.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You'll do fine. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and I'm NOT a runner by far (I groan at cardio machines). I signed up for a 5K this past spring with no real training and came in 40 out of 82. I was proud of myself for doing so well on my own. Just push yourself and you'll be done in no time. 3.1 miles really isn't that much. Some of us do that on the cardio machines in no time. You can do it.

My race was in the afternoon, so I had a healthy breakfast and lunch. I didn't really eat anything special. I had a bottle water, but didn't do much sipping until I arrived at the race. It worked for me. I didn't feel dehydrated, my endurance wasn't bad, and I didn't need a pee break. Each person is different though, so do what you know works for you. I can't hold my pee for very long...*LOL*

Shannon