Human nature or not?

Options
rickigageby
rickigageby Posts: 149 Member
So I’m curious for the female, males you can answer to, when you see someone your same gender do you often compare yourself to them physically? I mean I know I have my insecurities but I’m often finding myself “checking out” (comparing) women. Just curious to see how people think.

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

Pppfff, who me?

th?id=OGC.4cbf46d93d7bf9f6381e24fe0a874073&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f6L015gMEW3pFC%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=ZwZztmQs6dhXj0IjjdGLsawAYTqJyjBl79uAYsrgHgo%3d
    Totally 😬
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    So I’m curious for the female, males you can answer to, when you see someone your same gender do you often compare yourself to them physically? I mean I know I have my insecurities but I’m often finding myself “checking out” (comparing) women. Just curious to see how people think.

Definitely, and it was a source of insecurity for many years when I was younger.

Eventually I did develop an acceptance, and occasionally even appreciation, of my physical attributes. I won't ever be "curvy" or have much of a bust or butt. I am what I am, and that's okay.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    "Comparison is the thief of joy" and all that.

When I was younger, yes, I used to do this and be woefully depressed about it. Never thin enough, never pretty enough, never x, y, z enough. Slowly, I realized I was wasting a lot of my years being bitter and resentful about things I couldn't change.

Now I'll "check out" other men or women to appreciate things, but do my best not to compare myself to them. We're all of us different, yet the same in many regards.

Some days it takes more work than others.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • CntryGirl78
    CntryGirl78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am guilty here. I compare myself to attractive women. A lot.
    Sometimes I find inspiration and motivation but mostly I just end up feeling like I’m never going to compare to what they have and I feel worse about myself. I don’t ever tear them down but I definitely attack myself at times. Eh, well, I guess sometimes I get irritated at how some will flaunt and display their bodies when I’m walking with my hubs because I feel like it just points out how I’m not that and even if he isn’t comparing, he sees them though and I am comparing what he sees.

I haven’t figured out the acceptance of me part and I’m 41. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I don't compare myself to others but I do like to look at butts

Yes.

Just yesterday, there was a butt, that I casually observed at the grocery store, that stopped me in my tracks.

It was quite magnificent.

This is honestly where I observe about 90% of them 😂
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    🎶 If they say why, why... Tell them that it's human nature, why why, does she do me that way 🎶
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Yep, just this a.m. I had to look up Cindy Crawford's stats, just to compare. Can't even remember why or what silly thought prompted me to. But I found out she weighs 8 lbs. more than I do. So why on earth don't I look like that??? :)
    I agree, comparison is evil. But we all(or at least the majority of us) do it in one way or another.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    ❎ Never
    ❎ Sometimes
    ✅ Always
    ❎ Bananahammock
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I am guilty here. I compare myself to attractive women. A lot.
    Sometimes I find inspiration and motivation but mostly I just end up feeling like I’m never going to compare to what they have and I feel worse about myself. I don’t ever tear them down but I definitely attack myself at times. Eh, well, I guess sometimes I get irritated at how some will flaunt and display their bodies when I’m walking with my hubs because I feel like it just points out how I’m not that and even if he isn’t comparing, he sees them though and I am comparing what he sees.

I haven’t figured out the acceptance of me part and I’m 41. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Now I see a woman with a nice body clearly displayed and chuckle to myself and think, "Well damn, if I had that butt I'd probably walk around in skintight yoga pants too" :D
  • tmac68w
    tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tend to compare performance more than aesthetics.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I definitely check out other women

I compare myself to similar bodies - girls with similar stats, and it always amazes me how different we can look.

I appreciate body types that are nothing like my own, but I don't compare myself to those women, just admire (some) of them.

I am envious of certain characteristics of other people (great hair, height, bone structure etc - things I can't change).

I am critical of myself, but I think that is a good thing, trying to "be better". I can improve physically, mentally, intellectually, creatively...and it feels good to look towards!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    No. It's just not worth the blowback, from both within and without.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yeah sometimes...if someone has bigger boobs, nicer hair etc then I do think I wish I had her boobs/hair etc
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    It's necessary to check out others so you know if you can physically fight them...or accept thier alpha status so that you might live to reign supreme one day when they're weak and /or injured.