Human nature or not?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. At my age that would be depressing. I just look in the mirror and see if I'm improving, and since Husband is happy, I must be doing okay!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I too, am a butt looker atter.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    I don’t guess I compare but I do admire hard work of others and it does inspire to think if they can do it why can’t I ? Hell being here on mfp and seeing others progress, hard work and dedication is what got me off the couch tbh - again seeing others my age or even older - I think that templars dude is in his 50’s #goalsat50 - out there kicking *kitten* was inspiring
  • Nanaluvs2sweat
    Nanaluvs2sweat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do but mostly I pay attention to the women in my age group. I get super motivated to see a 50ish woman that has an amazing, fit body!
  • JimDeWeese
    JimDeWeese Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I’m soon to be 52, and compare myself to those I think are around my age.

I think it’s normal. Sure don’t stack up to the 25 year olds though. Lol
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I just get pissy if they’re lifting more than me

Eta: then i remind myself i have thirty years on her so *kitten* that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    For me it is really specific to women in my age group (roughly 35-50) and height/body type (curvy and at least 5'7" but under 6'). That's the only time I take special notice...and more so if they have similar fashion style to me.

Gonna show my crazy here but I am particularly jealous of women who are NATURAL redheads. Dyed/colored doesn't faze me one bit but if they have natural red hair I'm gonna be a little jealous even if I have a "better" figure or whatever...it's a weird thing. I've been that way since childhood though. No wonder I married a ginger guy. ha
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    For me it is really specific to women in my age group (roughly 35-50) and height/body type (curvy and at least 5'7" but under 6'). That's the only time I take special notice...and more so if they have similar fashion style to me.

Gonna show my crazy here but I am particularly jealous of women who are NATURAL redheads. Dyed/colored doesn't faze me one bit but if they have natural red hair I'm gonna be a little jealous even if I have a "better" figure or whatever...it's a weird thing. I've been that way since childhood though. No wonder I married a ginger guy. ha

Natural pretty coloured redheads are like precious unicorns.
    I have a student volunteer at my work who has thick waist length dark red hair that I want to ask her if I can buy...to make a wig...she has the prettiest, healthiest hair. I also want to suggest to her that she "farm" her hair...because its so pretty and healthy looking
    ...but that may be creepy
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    At work in the gym there was this Dude, and I'm not going to lie I was totally jealous of this Dudes calves 😍...

Now I do calves 4x/week
    Still can't get these things to grow 😂
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    I’m curious if a woman would be perturbed by another woman glancing at her butt

I can only speak for myself but for me, no. I'll just assume she's admiring my butt (unlikely) or my pants (more likely).

It's entirely possible that looking at my butt is motivating her to get hers into the gym so it doesn't end up looking like mine, but I'd rather not know this :D
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options

Everyone looks at my butt.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options

As long as the expression on her face could be read as positive, it's all good to me.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

Everyone looks at my butt.

#truth

I be like... She must workout 😏
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I used to look at other women and compare myself to them, and it made me feel pretty grim. It was plain jealousy on my behalf that they looked better than I thought I did.
    As I've got older, and focused more on my health, I just appreciate people's beauty for what it is. If they've worked hard and are rocking some muscles, I'll appreciate them harder. Humans are pretty.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @bojack5

this exactly: can appreciate others attributes with no emotion attached

regarding the topic of family - i think it's natural to feel that way if it's not something you had.

• MrAcavano
    MrAcavano Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wish I did. Instead I compare myself to an unattainable ideal that changes rapidly and can never be reached.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think we are always sizing up potential rivals. Ladies do the same thing. I work with mostly women, and when a new gal joins us, they are all "sizing" her up.