Over Exercising? What is going on?

13»

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I am not seeing anything in your description of your workouts that would be burning 1000 calories, I'd probably estimate about half of that at most unless you're very obese.

I AM obese. I weigh 230. My doc wants me down to at least 165. And that just gets me into the high end she wants me at.

Even according to MFP I can burn 900 calories in a Zumba class. My fitbit is pretty darn close to what MFP estimates. I never eat all my calories back. IF I do eat them, it's only half. So on a high-calorie day I may eat up to 1600 calories. I rarely do that.

I rarely eat out, I cook my own food, am very diligent on weighing/measuring.

You're obsese but not very obese, I am a good 25 pounds heavier than you and wouldn't expect to get anywhere near those burns for the activity you've listed. I'd expect maybe 500 cals for 2hrs water walking, around 350-400 for a Zumba class and maybe 200 for Yoga.

The only time I'm burning anywhere near 1000 calories for a workout is a couple of hours rowing out on the water against the tide and wind.

I'd consider disconnecting the Fitbit, manually logging exercise with more conservative calorie burns and logging your food more accurately.

• Hi
    I read all the posts. I didn’t see anything unkind or discourteous. Some helpful comments that’s all. You have to take these boards for what they are, a bunch of people who do not know you and who will sometimes do their best to fill the gaps where info isn’t provided. That’s the way the human brain works.

You are right. I had a *kitten* day. Thanks!

• fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    It doesn’t sound like you’re over exercising, but that’s an awful lot of time to dedicate each day. If you have the time, and you’re enjoying it vs. feeling bored/obligated to spend that much time, it doesn’t seem it’s too much.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Weight loss is more about the amount of food you put in your mouth. Start logging religiously, using a food scale to weigh everything. No skipping, cheating, or forgetting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697068/how-i-stopped-kidding-myself/p1

ETA: Oh, yeah. And your exercise calories are not realistic, at all... Try eating back a quarter, instead of half.

Nope weightloss for menopause women is a whole barrel of hardships as estrogen dropping makes them store fat it’s not so simple as energy in energy out
    We have to work out harder to burn the same amount calories as a women I. Her 20 and 30s
  • fitpal4242 wrote: »
    It doesn’t sound like you’re over exercising, but that’s an awful lot of time to dedicate each day. If you have the time, and you’re enjoying it vs. feeling bored/obligated to spend that much time, it doesn’t seem it’s too much.

I absolutely love it. At this time in my life, I do have the time to dedicate myself to the time in the gym. I found a groove I really enjoy.

A trainer at the gym mentioned over-exercising which is why I asked here.

Since asking here I visited my doctor and was told not to change it if I am happy with it.
  • size102b wrote: »

Nope weightloss for menopause women is a whole barrel of hardships as estrogen dropping makes them store fat it’s not so simple as energy in energy out
    We have to work out harder to burn the same amount calories as a women I. Her 20 and 30s

Yup. Doctors have told me "I'm of that age" and will have to work much harder now than I did 20 years ago. They are right. It's not just about the calories in and calories out anymore.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider that over-exercising, but you may indeed be over-estimating your calorie burns.

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

done.

I'm seeing things that look like cup measurements, including for higher calorie foods like nuts and croutons. There are some meals that look like they might be estimates for restaurants or takeout (the Chinese, for example) and stuff like "1/12th of a cake" and "2 slices of bacon." We've got this: "Apple Pie - Apple Pie, 0.09375 slice." This is an example of an entry that is very unhelpful for you (what is a "slice" and how do you know you got .09375 of that amount?).

I would encourage you to weigh all your solid food. If you're eating out and estimating the calorie content, that's potentially going to slow down your weight loss. This isn't to say "don't do it" (most of us ate out sometimes when losing weight), but it's something to take into account when the scale doesn't respond like you thought it might.

When I cannot be accurate and have to guess, I try to take the higher calorie items listed in MFP. And that apple pie you mention was a bite. I try to overestimate the calories instead of underestimating them.

I don't know how else to do it? This is my best guess. How else could I do it?

Patience will be key. If you truly have to guess, then the calories in part is less accurate. When those "bite" situations are in your day, can you plan for them and have a "known calorie" alternative ready? Can you say no? You don't have to refuse the treats, just realize even bites can add up to calorie bombs. I bring foods I want to eat (where I know the nutritional profile) to potlucks and don't eat out a lot (using nutritional info from the menu to choose when I do). My friends and co-workers are used to me snapping pictures of the barcode and reading the label and inputting info into MFP.

Your exercise burns seem high to me, too. Burning even 10 calories a minute is really, really intense and most folks can't maintain that level consistently for an entire hour. Like cardio machines, the MFP estimates are based on a generic standard that most of us don't fit. They're not accurate for many. Fitness trackers can very. I wear a Fitbit and a Garmin (nerd alert!). The Garmin's calorie burns were higher and I synced my Fitbit instead--for me, they seem more accurate.

The 1200 calories also seem low based on your height and weight. At the same time, it seems like you might be eating more than you think. You said "weighing and measuring." I do very little measuring, because it's so much less accurate.

I didn't get it when I started, and folks here helped me figure things out like we're trying to help you. It's not criticism, it's a learning process. No one jumps in and gets it all right from the start.

I did lose all my weight in my 40's (at least peri-menopause, no real idea--all the plumbing was disconnected years ago and I have no way to tell) with medicated hypothyroidism. It took a couple years (I lost about 115 pounds) and happened in fits, stalls, and starts. But I kept going and it all came off and has stayed off.

It will for you, too. Just give yourself some grace and patience in figuring it all out. Calories are simple, the human behavior that goes along with consuming them--not so much. :blush: