Question: working out and new tattoos

Options
Hi friends! I had a tattoo done this past weekend, full colour, so seems it will take a little more healing time than my smaller ones in the past. I was advised to stay away from sweaty workouts for a 'few days.' However, I don't want to be away from working out/running for too long. Any advice of how many days I need to wait before getting my sweat on again?

Replies

• annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I usually take at least 1 week, and then see how it's looking. Also, I try to avoid anything that will rub a lot during healing. I would rather take a couple of weeks of working out to fully heal versus doing something that might mess up the tattoo forever.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I give my tattoos 3 full days. Then, I try to avoid super sweaty work outs, or anything that will cause it to rub or get irritated for another full week; for example I got my inner upper arm done, and didn't power walk for 7-10 days. I always keep it completely covered (with clothing) for 2 weeks and take extra precautions if working out in a public gym on public equipment.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    One day, tops. My artist knows about this and covers appropriately. Last year, I sat through a 6 hour session and the next day ran a 5K PR. It was covered in Saniderm and trust me, the artist knew and gave her blessing. I've never lost any color or had any problems working out the next day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the tattoo is located really.

I didn't take a break from exercise for my sleeves but did for the ones on my back as that's an area for me that gets particularly sweaty, I also avoided trainers for about a week when I got my feet tattooed.

It's something you want to look good for life, so taking a few days off something that might aggravate is hardly a bad tradeoff.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My tattoo artist said that I could workout the next day, so long as nothing rubbed and I cleaned and creamed it straight after.
    I have a komodo dragon on my outer thigh, with many layers of colour (plus the detail of the scales) and I have to admit the morning after it felt a little bruised so I didn't run till the afternoon. But I was running the next day, wearing extremely skimpy shorts so that nothing rubbed. And within 3 days I was doing full burpees
  • tenacious_dea
    tenacious_dea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's a full colour thigh piece so have been a little more paranoid with it. But it has been a few days, and think tomorrow feel it will be fine to get back to it! (With proper cleaning and creaming after.)