Sets and reps

Hi I am new to weights and current goal it to lose a bit of weight and tone. I have recently purchased a home gym and am wondering how to get started.

Starting out how many reps and sets should I do ? Should I time myself ie reps 30secs rest etc or do say 8 reps rest move on to next rep?
How heavy, I’m not sure what each plate weighs

I have spent a fair bit googling however have found that most answers contradict another.

Here’s what I am going to be working with.

Thank you for any replies 😁

egejaiuefit3.jpeg

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I would search out a hypertrophy program that has exercise selection that you have access to and go from there.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    I’m surprised the home gym didn’t come with instructions and sample workouts.
    For my workouts I start at one set of 15 reps, and build up to 20. Then I increase the weight and drop back to 15.

For pure muscle, go with higher weight and less reps. I’m doing it mainly for toning.

Google how to use your machine for specific exercises to get the most value out of it.
  • Jopanni
    Jopanni Posts: 27 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would search out a hypertrophy program that has exercise selection that you have access to and go from there.

Thank you for your reply I will look into this
  • Jopanni
    Jopanni Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you slade51 I did not realise that there were no instructions before we built the gym, I’ve looked on you tube etc and there is a very short tutorial so will go with that until I find something f else