General thoughts on Pho

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Btw, don't know about others, but I never drink all of the broth, maybe 1/2 cup at most.

Some NaCl is absorbed by the noodles, but if you don't drink all of the broth, I doubt that the sodium content of pho would be a health isdue for most people.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    edited February 2020
    Have you tried homemade with zucchini noodles? I’ll add a photo from my keto book. It’s really good, and you have control of the sodium. :smiley:

s7cwapgx4o2u.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Pho is great. If you are worried about calories leave some of the noodles in the bottom of the bowl and fill up on broth, bean sprouts and the lean rare beef. Some of the variants with stewed beef and meatballs use fattier cuts so I normally go for the type with slices of raw beef that cook as it sits in the hot broth.

I never see pho with big globules of fat in the broth, so that shouldn't be a problem. Clear broths in general should be fine. Soups thickened with a roux can hide fat you can't see.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    I’m going to try to make some tonight. I’m guessing it won’t happen again as the ingredients cost a small fortune and I can buy it cheaper and it’ll likely not taste as good. Stay tuned!
  • unstableunicorn
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ya, you have control of the sodium because there is essentially none. Where's the fish sauce?

You do realize you’re antagonizing someone for sharing an easily adjustable recipe, right?

@SisterSueGetsFit Hope you enjoy! Hubby & I have been very happy with it. :)
  • tlkondo
    tlkondo Posts: 8 Member
    This is the recipe I use. But I don't add the salt, Fish sauce, hoisin sauce If you follow the recipe the Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 436 / Protein 23 g / Carbohydrate 74 g / Dietary Fiber 3 g / Total Sugars 6 g / Total Fat 5 g / Saturated Fat 1 g / Cholesterol 20 mg
    I don't know what a serving size is

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/4307/vietnamese-soup-pho/
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,251 Member
    I want pho now.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I have never tried to make pho broth myself. I have a Vietnamese girlfriend who first roasts off beef bones for a couple of hour before simmering many hours.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Just got back from having pho. This power of suggestion was real! No clue how many calories it was but I logged it as 600 to be safe.

Bahaha! You’re welcome. ;) Stuff is SO addicting.

• SisterSueGetsFit
    acpgee wrote: »
    I have never tried to make pho broth myself. I have a Vietnamese girlfriend who first roasts off beef bones for a couple of hour before simmering many hours.

I tried the other day. It’s hard and expensive. Since it’s just me, it’s WAY cheaper to just buy it. And way better, as expected. The toppings (Basil, cilantro, bean sprouts and sauces) cost me more than an XL at my favorite place.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Ya, you have control of the sodium because there is essentially none. Where's the fish sauce?

You do realize you’re antagonizing someone for sharing an easily adjustable recipe, right?

Not sure why you felt antagonized by me pointing out that your recipe is missing an ingredient essential to making pho taste like pho. (More than one, in fact, but I focused on the ingredient with the sodium.)

This recipe would be easily adjustable for me, because I am familiar with pho and Asian cuisine, but not so much for someone who is not.
  • unstableunicorn
    edited February 2020

Not sure why you felt antagonized by me pointing out that your recipe is missing an ingredient essential to making pho taste like pho. (More than one, in fact, but I focused on the ingredient with the sodium.)

This recipe would be easily adjustable for me, because I am familiar with pho and Asian cuisine, but not so much for someone who is not.

Didn’t feel antagonized, just pointed out the fact your attitude over a recipe was unnecessary.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Love all the responses and love that ya'll love pho! I usually keep my portion size around a "standard" cereal bowl size. The smell is just heavenly and it does fill me up! Lots and lots of bean sprouts.

make it at home.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Love all the responses and love that ya'll love pho! I usually keep my portion size around a "standard" cereal bowl size. The smell is just heavenly and it does fill me up! Lots and lots of bean sprouts.

make it at home.
    I’ve tried! It’s much cheaper to just buy it. And it tastes better done by the professionals. :)

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    You can make you own that way you control the sodium and whatever you like in there. You might also like bi bim bap very good and you can use tho se 0 calories noodles
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You can make you own that way you control the sodium and whatever you like in there. You might also like bi bim bap very good and you can use tho se 0 calories noodles

Bibimbap is a rice dish.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Fyi thai basil is very very easy to grow if you love pho and are considering your summer garden.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Fyi thai basil is very very easy to grow if you love pho and are considering your summer garden.

I just bought my first house a few months ago and it has raised garden beds. There will definitely be some basil in there!