Food Guilt

Options
I go through these cycles of restricting intake of bad foods and eating really well, but then I have these intense moments of hunger and cravings for particular foods. It’s left me in a cycle of food guilt. Any thoughts on breaking the cycle?

Replies

• Ravenspurn
    Ravenspurn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat, Drink, and be merry, there is no point in following a regime that makes you unhappy...
    Food is comprised of Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates.

Fats are either Saturated, Mono, or PolyUsaturated, you need a certain amount of these each day.
    Fats in General contain 9 kcal per gram.

Proteins in general contain 4 kcal per gram.
    Proteins are complex and to explain would be a TLDR situation, but it's generally seen that proteins cannot be stored in the fat cells as directly as Carbs and Fat can.

Carbohydrates are either Simple (Glucose, Fructose, and Galactose), or Complex, which includes Dietary fiber. Non digestable Carbs.
    Carbs on general contain 4 kcal per gram.

Alcohol contains 7 kcal per gram.

Apart from Alcohol, you need a combination of the other three.
    Does not matter if your fats are saturated, or your Carbs are Simple, they all contain the same amount of kcal.
    Cetainly, there are certain vitamins and minerals that arre included with certain fats, such as cold pressed virgin fruit oils contain Omega 3, 6, and 9.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As several others have already said, abandoning the concept of "good" and "bad" foods was the best thing I ever did for myself. It freed up so much mental energy and it's much easier to meet my overall calorie goal.

I focus on meeting my calorie goal and getting sufficient protein and fat.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I thought about this some more, and was wondering if you would benefit from thinking of your foods as needs and wants rather than good and bad?

That’s kind of what I subconsciously do. Most of the food I eat is what I need, but I allow a little in the calorie budget for wants.

It’s like when I get paid: I have to take care of my needs first: bills, food, clothing, provisions for my children, medical, etc. if there’s money leftover, I will use that on treating myself to something I want.

Nobody ever deprives themselves of some ‘wants’ when they’re spending money (assuming there’s money left over to do so). It’s the same with food. If you have taken care of your nutritional needs, there’s no reason you can’t have some fun with the leftover calories, if you have some to spare.

What really can help too, is if you’re ever lucky enough to be able to make your needs into options you enjoy or over time, find yourself wanting.

Sometimes I’m really digging my special salad I make. Sometimes I could use a bit more calcium at the end of the day, and if my calories allow it, I’ll get my calcium from ice cream.

And when you reach goal and move onto maintenance, consider it a promotion or a raise: now you have a bigger budget to play with.

Actually people do that all the time but the message behind your point is still valid.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I thought about this some more, and was wondering if you would benefit from thinking of your foods as needs and wants rather than good and bad?

That’s kind of what I subconsciously do. Most of the food I eat is what I need, but I allow a little in the calorie budget for wants.

It’s like when I get paid: I have to take care of my needs first: bills, food, clothing, provisions for my children, medical, etc. if there’s money leftover, I will use that on treating myself to something I want.

Nobody ever deprives themselves of some ‘wants’ when they’re spending money (assuming there’s money left over to do so). It’s the same with food. If you have taken care of your nutritional needs, there’s no reason you can’t have some fun with the leftover calories, if you have some to spare.

What really can help too, is if you’re ever lucky enough to be able to make your needs into options you enjoy or over time, find yourself wanting.

Sometimes I’m really digging my special salad I make. Sometimes I could use a bit more calcium at the end of the day, and if my calories allow it, I’ll get my calcium from ice cream.

And when you reach goal and move onto maintenance, consider it a promotion or a raise: now you have a bigger budget to play with.

Actually people do that all the time but the message behind your point is still valid.

This is true, but then it can lead to a spending ‘binge’ for some people.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Food is neutral, unless you have a legitimate medical condition or allergy that requires you to abstain from certain foods. Fear of certain foods or guilt/shame over eating certain foods is one sign of disordered eating, so it's best to nip that mentality in the bud ASAP.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

This is true, but then it can lead to a spending ‘binge’ for some people.

I guess I'm "naturally frugal" - wish that would rub off on my eating habits :lol:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    While I totally agree that it would be best to get out of the "good" and "bad" mindset re: food...if you MUST do that, maybe take a different approach. Telling yourself that you can have the "bad" but only in smaller proportion to the "good". Similar to how some people try to eat 80/20 (I may have that a little off) by eating primarily very nutritious healthy high-quality food and then having the Snickers bar or Doritos, too. Balancing it all out and not feeling guilty, because the guilt fixes nothing in the long run.

I've sort of used this approach myself in losing and maintaining 100+ weight loss.
    For YEARS I would tell myself, "no more bad food/junk food" and I would undereat and deprive myself of all "treats" and wind up giving up. Now I don't do that and I'm much happier and healthier. What I DO though is little swaps throughout each day, making good changes here and there where it doesn't matter to me as much...I still eat donuts for example, at least once a month. But I also have plans in place to cook at home most of the time and only dine out on specific days and occasions. It really does help.