Paleo diet

Options
Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think the general idea makes some sense. But to be honest, I like my bread too much, haha.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Opinion: Paleo eating is a silly marketing gimmick making someone money.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I have never done it but have heard very good things about it. I try to follow a program called The Diet Solution. Not exactly paleo but recommends organic fruits, veggies, grass fed meat with no added hormones or anything, raw milk, cheese, etc. I have friends doing Paleo and after the first couple of weeks, they love it and feel great! Hope this helps a little.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Well, I love it and I feel that we all could benefit from ditching the processed, packaged, frozen and fast foods and go back to basic whole and natural foods.

Meats with no hormones and antibiotics, raw dairy straight from the cow, vegetables and fruits that are in season and grown locally.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eating real, whole, natural food is a marketing gimmick?? I don't understand that. Staying away from crap foods that make us sick isn't a gimmick. It's going back to the basics. It's eating foods the body knows.

From November to end of April: cut calories, did lots of exercise, ate numerous times a day (because I always seemed to be hungry); dropped 9.6lbs and kept my belly. I hit 120.4lbs

From May to now: cut out grains, flour, sugars, legumes, milk. Get carbs from veggies, berries and occasional nuts. Eat lots of meats and fats. Don't have to portion, weigh, log foods or count calories at all. Don't eat processed foods from a box (don't even eat low-carb processed foods from a box). Do less exercise. Dropped 9.8lbs as of this morning - 110.6lbs now. Lost my belly, have amazing muscle definition now because I lost body fat not lean muscle mass. Get to spend my evenings with my man instead of on the treadmill or working out to a DVD. Have amazing energy - no more afternoon drowsiness. Sleep better.
    And I eat maybe twice a day - a nice big meal. Sometime will have a snack in between. Protein and fat will keep me full for a good 6-7 hours.

I follow Primal Blueprint.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    " A 2011 survey of experts by US News & World Report ranked the Paleo diet the worst of the 20 diets evaluated, remarking that there was little evidence supporting the diet's effectiveness. However, this was specifically a modernized offshoot to the paleo diet in which very low-carb is emphasized, this diet specifically containing only 23% carbohydrates. A generalized paleo diet was not a part of this study. Indeed, in one expert's words: "A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants. The modern approximations … are far from it." - Wikipedia

Personally I think it's no question... I agree with the last statement, that a true Paleo diet would be good, but modern approximations are far from it. Anytime someone tries to make money selling an idea it's bound to have some problems, and falls into "fad" dieting. But it's long been said that if we ate like our ancestors we'd be far better off. Nothing was refined, items like breads and grains were hard to come by. There were no preservatives or processed foods with hormone and steroid additives. Eating like your Great - grandmother did seems like a good idea... I'm unsure of wanting to eat like the cavemen, I doubt they had much longevity. lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard on here and read on the internet, it's the basic concept of most healthy diets - eat whole unprocessed food as much as possible - with the exception that this one eliminates all grain from the diet. So, if you really enjoy whole grains, then it might not be for you. But if you don't really care for whole grains, or have digestive issues that necessitate limiting grains anyway, it might be for you.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Well, I love it and I feel that we all could benefit from ditching the processed, packaged, frozen and fast foods and go back to basic whole and natural foods.

Meats with no hormones and antibiotics, raw dairy straight from the cow, vegetables and fruits that are in season and grown locally.

What do you do when veggies are out of season? Does paleo endorse frozen veggies?
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    What do you do when veggies are out of season? Does paleo endorse frozen veggies?

Well of course organic, in season, and locally grown is optimal....

...But it's not like Paleo is dead set in rules. Grass fed is preferred over grain fed too, but obviously not everyone can do that. Here are the main concepts:

1. Stay away from grains and legumes
    2. Half of your plate should be veggies, the other half should be some awesome meat (with yummy fat)
    3. The occasional fruit and nuts as a snack (more would be fine if you aren't trying to lose weight).

That's obviously a very stripped down version, but it's a good start. From my first two weeks of full Primal (I still eat dairy), here are things I noticed:

- most days, over 50% of my calories come from fat, but I'm hardly ever hungry which is weird since fat is more calorie dense so I'm eating less volume of food.
    - my really intense cravings have almost gone away. And I can go longer than 3 hours without eating which used to make me extremely grouchy. My hunger is COMPLETELY different: more of a gentle reminder to eat instead of a gnawing "EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT" feeling.
    - my skin looks better and my hair has more body
    - I sleep better and I have better focus.
    - I can push harder during my workouts
    - I was "regular" before, but now I'm even more "regular" and I love that.
    - and when I did have a tiny bit of grain (from taste-tests at the farmers market), I felt really horrible for a few hours after and I only had 100-150 calories from grain. Oh, and I've never noticed grain affecting me in that way before, it was just something I got used to which is really scary.

If you do have to buy frozen or packaged food, just read your labels. Look for things like nitrates, sugar, high fructose corn syrup and just about anything you can't pronounce. Steam fresh veggies are really easy and there is nothing to them but pure frozen veggies. You only have to make it as complicated as you choose to.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I'd say most people on a paleo diet aim for eating locally and organically as much as possible - choosing grass-fed, local meats, local and in-season veggies (and fruits), etc. All of them most likely fall short of that on a daily basis.

Personally I can't stand frozen veggies (it's a texture issue) and turn to fresh, non-local varieties when I can't get what I want / need at the farmer's market. It's not ideal, but I'm not shooting for 100% compliance with a diet, so it works for me. Then again, I guess I'm closer to primal than paleo, which leaves more wiggle room anyway.

I'm not so concerned with sticking to any way of eating with 100% accuracy, and the only reason I identify with paleo / primal / low carb is just to explain my diet to others, and to get ideas from others who are eating in a similar way.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options

+1

I don't think hunter gatherers had uniform access to coconuts. Not that the recipes are bad, just that conceptually they would have to eat seasonally and locally with no refrigeration.

And while I think the idea of going barefoot is great, I physically am not able to go barefoot. Uniform guidance that supersedes a personal physician's advice is always suspicious to me.

But then, with out antibiotics, I probably would have died as an infant. So I'm sure I'm not a good representative of a healthy hunter gatherer.

:tongue:
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

+1

I don't think hunter gatherers had uniform access to coconuts. Not that the recipes are bad, just that conceptually they would have to eat seasonally and locally with no refrigeration.

And while I think the idea of going barefoot is great, I physically am not able to go barefoot. Uniform guidance that supersedes a personal physician's advice is always suspicious to me.

But then, with out antibiotics, I probably would have died as an infant. So I'm sure I'm not a good representative of a healthy hunter gatherer.

I'm still confused is to who is making money here other than local farmers. Oh no, heaven forbid we help out our local economy instead of pouring our money into companies like Tyson who treat animals and people worse than dirt (watch Food, Inc.)

And wherever you learned that Paleo is "uniform" it's wrong. Everyone is different so we all have to eat differently. Some can eat dairy, some can eat nuts and some can't. Not uniform.

You don't have to be a hippy to eat paleo. I still use modern medicine when necessary (but honestly it's not so necessary anymore since I feel 100 times better and I was already considered healthy), I wash my hair with actual soap, and I wear shoes. Quit generalizing.
  • Grokette
    Options

There are always some type of veggies in season.................

I belong to a CSA and they have a spring / summer share program and then a fall / winter share program so I get vegetables that are in season year round........

In the winter though I don't eat fruit because they are not really in season in my area. I "might" have an occasional pineapple, orange, banana or grapefruit but that is about it and no they are not local, but citrus and tropical fruits are my favorite from before switching to local and sustainable eating.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    " A 2011 survey of experts by US News & World Report ranked the Paleo diet the worst of the 20 diets evaluated, remarking that there was little evidence supporting the diet's effectiveness. However, this was specifically a modernized offshoot to the paleo diet in which very low-carb is emphasized, this diet specifically containing only 23% carbohydrates. A generalized paleo diet was not a part of this study. Indeed, in one expert's words: "A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants. The modern approximations … are far from it." - Wikipedia

Personally I think it's no question... I agree with the last statement, that a true Paleo diet would be good, but modern approximations are far from it. Anytime someone tries to make money selling an idea it's bound to have some problems, and falls into "fad" dieting. But it's long been said that if we ate like our ancestors we'd be far better off. Nothing was refined, items like breads and grains were hard to come by. There were no preservatives or processed foods with hormone and steroid additives. Eating like your Great - grandmother did seems like a good idea... I'm unsure of wanting to eat like the cavemen, I doubt they had much longevity. lol.

It was a three week study from what I understand. When you go from high-carb to low-carb you will go through a 'withdrawl' as your body figures out what to do - it's been running on carbs for so long. If they would have made the study longer it would've been different - the body would've switched over to burning only fat and the energy levels would've increased. Heck they could've saved the money and headed over to Mark's Daily Apple and found this out for free (i.e. "carb flu"). I was already at moderate carb and didn't get it. I had immediate increases in energy and immediate body fat loss.

And our ancestors didn't have access to modern medicine. Their average age covers death from childbirth, dying from infection from a broken bone, a cut on the finger. And they had to deal with predators too. They weren't the top of the food chain back then. If all went well and they led an uneventful life they could live well into their 90s. They were taller, more robust, had bigger brains, didn't suffer from bad eyesight, dental problems like cavities. Forensic anthropologists can learn a whole lot from the bones they find. And I'm not going to go out and eat insects and grubs and eat dirt. There is no need to these days. It is a general guideline to follow. (Just like the Dietary Guidelines are).

But I am now sitting her gnawing on a whole roasted chicken. But might have to trash the chicken breast part. Dry and no flavor. I'll just eat the skin and the legs, thighs and wings.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The basic premise of the paleo diet is to eat unprocessed meat including game meat, veggies, some fruit, and nuts which are all good things. It is low carb because it typically eliminates dairy, grains, and legumes. As more of a creationist rather than an evolutionist (which I won't get drawn into debate over because that's a whole other topic so put the flame-throwers away! lol), I don't put a lot of stock into the validity of what "cavemen" actually ate but even if I did, I don't know how we can be certain they never ate grains or legumes and very little fruit, or whether they had access to things like coconut or the variety of vegetables we have access to now.

But, having said that, I do favor eating low carb without a phobia of fats because it is helping me control my blood sugar (pre-diabetes) issues. And eating organic, whole food is never a bad thing.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Barefoot? OMG, that reminds me of the macrobiotic diet which recommended walking outside barefoot each day to be more at one with your enviroment. In fact, a lot of what I've heard about paleo reminds me of macrobiotics. Whole non-processed local foods. With the very big exception that macrobiotics recommends little or no meat or dairy and plenty of grains and legumes, and paleo recommends the opposite.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    2. Half of your plate should be veggies, the other half should be some awesome meat (with yummy fat)

Would meat comsumed during the paleolithic era have had a lot of yummy fat since it would have been wild game? Most wild game is a lot lower in fat than farmed meats. It actually would surprise me if meat were e a huge part of the caveman's diet since plants are so much easier to come by.
  • Grokette
    Options

+1

Well walking in shoes ruins most people's feet and conventional wisdom doctors that think the brainwashed way will say not to go barefoot even though there is so much evidence that you will correct any issues with walking and the feet and ankles by walking barefoot.

Barefoot walking actually strengthens the ligaments, tendons and bones in the feet, ankles and legs.

Don't believe me, check it out............

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/22/the-major-health-benefits-of-going-barefoot-really.htm
  • Grokette
    Options

Would meat comsumed during the paleolithic era have had a lot of yummy fat since it would have been wild game? Most wild game is a lot lower in fat than farmed meats. It actually would surprise me if meat were e a huge part of the caveman's diet since plants are so much easier to come by.

I believe that they would have eaten the fat, offal (organs), the leaner meat and pretty much everything except for the hide. Bone marrow is full of fat that is fantastic for you and they would have sucked the marrow out of the bones as well.

So yes, they would have been eating a lot of fat.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Only if you track them down and kill them with your bare hands.