5x5 vs 5x10

Options
Which is greater for hypertrophy and why do so many preach 5x5 when many classic bodybuilding champions did 5x10 in their routine?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hypertrophy usually calls for greater numbers of reps. Strength can be built up with fewer reps, though there's plenty of fuzzy grey area in the middle.

Strength training is heavier weight, longer rest, fewer reps, generally speaking. Hypertrophy is slightly lighter weight (relative to your 1RM), shorter rest, more reps. Strength training builds strength, whereas hypertrophy builds muscle volume. You can use the *difference* between the two types of training to sculpt your muscle, to a certain extent.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Depends on how it is programmed. Both can be utilized for strength or hypertrophy.

Generally speaking 5×5 of some variety can be better for someone that isn't novel to lifting and exposed to higher intensity.

5×10 may or may not get a more hypertrophy response depending on how its programmed.

I personally have close aspects of both as well as more specific doses in my every day training as a powerlifter as well as most lifters I coach/train.

Most people who preach 5×5 have little experience on how to actually program a template or practice good load management.

I encourage you to continue seeking info that will be useful.