Contest

Options
I’m just getting back into counting calories and exercising. I entered a contest where the winner who loses the most % wins 800. My question I have read mixed reviews. Weight training or cardio or both lol. I eventually want to lift but for the duration of the contest should I stick to just cardio to ensure the bigger % lost? If this sounds dumb I’m sorry I’m just trying to find something to motivate me and keep me on track. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've done a lot of reading. Walking seems to be a great way to lose weight, but building lean muscle will set you up for the future. I've also read that it is possible to lose weight without exercise. Its the calorie deficit that's important.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    safahu21 wrote: »
    Thanks guys ;) I ditched the contest and will just focus on eating healthy, working out and being happy!

So happy to hear this :)
  • marycgehman
    marycgehman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I disagree that "contests" do not provide anything. Four years ago, I entered a contest called "Slim to Win". Over the six-month duration, I learned how to count calories (using MFP), count macros, what worked for me and what didn't work for me. I learned how to love exercise, and eventually began running half-marathons. I lost 65 pounds during the "contest". Over the next several months, I lost an additional 35 pounds, again the right way. What I learned was life changing. That 100 pounds is still off.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    safahu21 wrote: »
    Thanks guys ;) I ditched the contest and will just focus on eating healthy, working out and being happy!

You can still do the contest. Just understand that winning a weight loss contest and actually losing weight are two different things. Just don't do anything stupid or dangerous to win.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I disagree that "contests" do not provide anything. Four years ago, I entered a contest called "Slim to Win". Over the six-month duration, I learned how to count calories (using MFP), count macros, what worked for me and what didn't work for me. I learned how to love exercise, and eventually began running half-marathons. I lost 65 pounds during the "contest". Over the next several months, I lost an additional 35 pounds, again the right way. What I learned was life changing. That 100 pounds is still off.

I am not a fan of contests - but I can see the time frame makes a difference - how much weight you lost over 6 months is going to give a contest a better focus.
    People wont be trying short term gimmicks and will need to lose real weight to do well.

Vs say, a 2 week contest where short term water weight will be all you measure.