under calories

Options
Maybe I'm just a moron, but can someone explain to me how you can get under 1000 calories and be so full that you just can't eat anymore??? I (usually) stay within my goals but I still get hungry pretty often...what is everyone eating that you can't get to 1000 because I need some of that! then maybe i won't need 4 snacks in addition to my meals!

Replies

• pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Most people who are trying to lose weight know which foods to eat: foods with a ton of FIBER! It keeps you fuller for longer, but do yourself a favor-- don't eat less than 1200 calories a day. Your body needs a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day to function properly. Don't listen to these people that are under their calories-- they're doing terrible things to their bodies.

Just a thought! Good luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know that too. I find it really hard to believe.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Most people who are trying to lose weight know which foods to eat: foods with a ton of FIBER! It keeps you fuller for longer, but do yourself a favor-- don't eat less than 1200 calories a day. Your body needs a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day to function properly. Don't listen to these people that are under their calories-- they're doing terrible things to their bodies.

Just a thought! Good luck!

Thank you for your advice! I defintiely get 1200 calories per day even when i exercise, but maybe I don't get enough fiber because I get hungry so often!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you eat a lot (and I mean a LOT) of green veggies, i.e. cucumbers, salad, greens (spinach etc), cabbage and yellow veggies, squash, carrots etc....you can fill up quickly without going anywhere NEAR your calorie goals. I eat a lot of them, and have to sometimes make myself eat more, just to get my calories.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I too also find it hard to believe that they can be full eating 500/900 calories. I'd feel deprived if I had to eat what they eat. I have a few friends who are pretty much on low calorie diets and there's little variety with their food choices.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber are both great fillers. Also, lots of water helps me often when I am hungry. A lot of times, your body is actually dehydrated and this can make you feel like you are hungry.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I always scratch my head when I see that. If I got so full that I couldn't eat 1200 calories, I would definitely not need to lose so much weight now!
  • Schraudt814
    Options
    I always scratch my head when I see that. If I got so full that I couldn't eat 1200 calories, I would definitely not need to lose so much weight now!

^^^ THIS!!!^^^
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just a moron, but can someone explain to me how you can get under 1000 calories and be so full that you just can't eat anymore??? I (usually) stay within my goals but I still get hungry pretty often...what is everyone eating that you can't get to 1000 because I need some of that! then maybe i won't need 4 snacks in addition to my meals!

I'm with you! i started on 1200, which was do-able, but i was usually always a bit hungry, so i really dont get the poeple who are stuck under a thousand.... but everyones different i guess!
  • MB4ever
    Options
    Well I have to pipe in here and say a few things. I am one of the individuals that have a hard time getting 1000 calories a day and I'll be upfront and honest. I have always starved myself for as long as I can remember.
    Wouldn't know it would you? Considering I'm overweight. Well what happened is because of years of abusing eating my metabolism is non existent. Along with the fact that this is my first time trying to fix my eating disorder.

So scratch your head if you want and disbelieve, but it happens more so than not.

Trying to eat 3 full meals a day for me is like eating something you despise more than anything. At times I'm okay but other times it causes anxiety and I gag. It does happen out there.

Yes I know I'm still not eating what I'm suppose to but this place has showed me what I was doing to myself along with what I need to correct.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    LOL I've wondered the same thing. These people who say they can't eat 1000 or 1200 calories without "stuffing" themselves, how the heck did they ever become overweight in the first place??
  • Schraudt814
    Options
    Well I have to pipe in here and say a few things. I am one of the individuals that have a hard time getting 1000 calories a day and I'll be upfront and honest. I have always starved myself for as long as I can remember.
    Wouldn't know it would you? Considering I'm overweight. Well what happened is because of years of abusing eating my metabolism is non existent. Along with the fact that this is my first time trying to fix my eating disorder.

So scratch your head if you want and disbelieve, but it happens more so than not.

Trying to eat 3 full meals a day for me is like eating something you despise more than anything. At times I'm okay but other times it causes anxiety and I gag. It does happen out there.

Yes I know I'm still not eating what I'm suppose to but this place has showed me what I was doing to myself along with what I need to correct.

Thank you very much for sharing that. I'm glad and very inspired to see where your journey is taking you!!
  • BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options
    I'm one of those people that have a hard time getting to 1000 calories. I've never had an eating disorder. I just eat low-calorie foods. Here's a typical day:

Breakfast (125 Calories)
    - 1/4 cup of egg whites,
    - 1 Slice of Weight Watchers Multigrain bread
    - Welch's Reduced Sugar Concord Jelly, 0.5 tbsp.

Snack (55 Calories)
    - 1/2 cup of grapes

Lunch (110 Calories)
    - Salad with grilled chicken, about 5 grapes cut in half and light 'calorie-wise' Kraft balsamic vinegar,

Snack 1 (About 50 Calories)
    - About 1/2 cup of yogurt

Snack 2 (About 75 Calories)
    - 1 Slice of Weight Watchers Multigrain bread,
    - Welch's Reduced Sugar Concord Grape Jelly, 0.5 Tbsp.

Dinner:
    - Turkey Pepperoni Pizza or another salad. Usually around 200/300 Calories.

Total: 715 Calories.

Everyone tells me I need to eat more than that but I feel full.

For the record, I use to eat around 3000 or even more calories a day but I've cut out all the junk food and this is what I'm left with..
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I make a big veggie curry I can fill myself up all day on very few calories. I have to add chickpeas or potato or eat it with rice to increase the calorie content. Its very handy on a hungover day though, when all you want to do is eat.
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    Another thing is, portion control! That was a huge one for me when I first began. I totally agree with Alien, lots and lots of veggies. I eat them each meal. I cut all bread stuff out of my diet and that got rid of the sugar cravings!
  • paintitblack
    Options
    I'm struggling ridiculously on hitting my calorie goal. Before I even factor in exercise I eat very little. The aim I've been given on here is 1300 but today I hit about half of that. I only managed half my dinner, though, because I was so full! I don't understand what you guys are eating! I eat around four meals a day but can't manage much over 200 calories at a time. ;/

And the exercise in and my net calories is almost always under 500, which is supposedly incredibly dangerous but I couldn't fit another calorie, let alone 1000, in me if I tried!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I used to have a hard time, but then I started adding in some extra protein bars.

When I eat a lot of nutrient dense foods, I have a harder time meeting my goals.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I actually have problems with it sometimes too. I used to eat to fill time, or because it was delicious, but very rarely because I was hungry. Now that I don't snack for no reason, I get distracted and forget to eat much until the end of the day.