Weighted jump rope / Crossrope?

Options
Anyone have experience with weighted jump ropes or the Crossrope brand? I know they’re expensive but they could be in my budget if worth it. I like jumping rope but would like to improve and add different tricks/skips/moves or whatever. The weighted rope concept is appealing because it seems like a good learning tool and a way to tone the upper body while jumping, but is it a gimmick? Thanks!

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Personally I like it, especially in the colder months when I don't get outside too much. I have vaulted ceilings so I am able to jump in the house.

I can't speak about the jump rope as I bought a great but cheaper one off Amazon to do the program. It works just fine and you can also find weighted ropes on Amazon too. Part of the "gimmick" is their ropes (IMHO). You are paying for the Crossrope brand mainly.

You can still follow the plan with your own rope. I really don't follow the specific Crossrope program. I get bored really easily being forced to follow a plan. I just jump cause it's fun and it's great exercise.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Seems like a thrifty approach to fitness to me!
  • lindsey8300
    lindsey8300 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise thanks for the reply. Are the ropes you’re using weighted? I’m currently using a cheap WOD nation rope that’s really light weight and it’s going ok. I’m enjoying it and getting pretty good workouts. What I’m wondering is whether a weighted rope (Crossrope or cheaper amazon version) will help me step it up.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We have several Crossropes jump ropes. We really like them, and I like their app as well since it has workout options using the different weighted ropes and body weight exercises mixed in. We have 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound, and 1 pound ropes. The 1 pound is definitely a lot to work with, but you'll get better over time. We have the slim handles and the power handles. My husband was an amateur boxer, so he loves to jump rope. He was constantly snapping and breaking other brands. Crossropes are expensive, but the quality had made them worth it for us.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    @lindsey8300 - I do not have a weighted rope. I would consider getting a weighted rope in the future though if I was more consistent with my jumping. It's only something I do sporadically when the weather is bad and I can't go outside and walk/jog/run with my boys (dogs).

If I were you: I would start the Crossfit program with your own rope and see if you even like it. If you decide that you like it and want to invest more money into getting another rope then you can either buy the Crossfit ropes or search online. If you decide to look on Amazon,make sure you check the reviews thoroughly before buying.

The rope I bought was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FOH361I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am considering the same thing. I have been using the Tangram Smart Rope for two years now. I like that it syncs with my phone and counts rpm. The weighted option is attractive though. If you get one update us.
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,219 Member
    Options
    I love my weighted crossropes. Have tried others...finally caved and bought some. I wouldn't trade them for the anything!!
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Me too. I love my Crossropes. I have the Get Fit set with 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2 pound ropes. I feel it in my upper body using the 1 and 2 lbs ropes and that 2 pounder is a doozy. They are pricey but worth it. Also, when you go to buy them, you select the length of the rope based on your height. This helped me a lot because I’m short and have wasted money buying ropes that were too long. These ropes are the perfect length for me.
    I like the workouts in the apps also. They have individual workouts as well as challenges.
    I’m very pleased with my ropes and my workouts. I feel my workout has improved using the weighted ropes. I don’t trip up as much and I’m able to establish a rhythm better with these than the non-weighted ropes.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience with weighted jump ropes or the Crossrope brand? I know they’re expensive but they could be in my budget if worth it. I like jumping rope but would like to improve and add different tricks/skips/moves or whatever. The weighted rope concept is appealing because it seems like a good learning tool and a way to tone the upper body while jumping, but is it a gimmick? Thanks!

I have the "get lean set". 1/4 pound rope and a 1/2 pound rope. Love them. Ordering the "get strong" set soon. 1 pound rope and 2 pound rope. You won't be disappointed...
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the "get lean" and get "strong set". Pricey but worth it (at least for me).
  • MLBless
    MLBless Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My "get lean" just came in and it's just the challenge I needed especially with not going back to the gym yet.