Spring/Summer Shred - Current routine

Noticed a lot or us are strapping down and committing to a spring/summer shred program, wanted to post mine with a compare/contrast to others currently working towards this goal:

Alternate Full Body Routine (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun.) CALORIE/MACRO GOALS (1450 NON-TRAINING DAYS)

Goal: Time Under Tension Lifting Style Adaptation Starting Bodyfat %: 8.1-7.4)
Start: 1/29/2020 Goal Bodyfat %: 7.0
End: 3/27/2020

Monday Meal Strategy: Intermittent Fasting 18:6

1. Leg Press 5x6 1600 Calories, 115 Protein/100 Carbs/ 42 Fat
2. Cable Flyes 4x6
3. Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3x8
4. Seated Rows 4x6
5. Lat PullDown 2x10 (40 minutes, 50 second rest)

Wednesday

1. Hack Squats 4x6 1600 Calories, 120 Protein/ 110 Carbs/ 37 Fat
2. Incline Bench Press 4x6
3. Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3x10
4. T-Bar Rows 4x6
5. Lat PullDown 3x6 (45 minutes, 50 second rest)

Friday

1. Barbell Squats 5x5 1750 Calories, 150 Protein/ 120 Carbs/ 20 Fat
2. Weighted Dips 5x5
3. Seated Military Press 5x5
4. Pull Ups 4x12
5.Seated Rows 3x8 (50 minutes, 90 second rest)

Sunday (REPEAT MONDAY ROUTINE)

Standard Foods: Chicken Breasts, Zucchini, Squash, Orange Bell Peppers, 14. oz Ribeye, Whey Protein Isolate, Turkey Bacon Sandwiches, Cashews, Flavored Sparkling Water (0 cals).
Disconnect Foods (twice per week): Little Caesar's Pizza, Caramel Muffins, Reeses Take 5 bars, Red Wine, Strawberry Cheesecake

Replies

• fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Ummm, the copy and paste from my Word doc sucked....but you get the picture.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    How is it going so far?
  • fitnessguy266
    How is it going so far?

Slow, but steady progress. My caloric goals are set to lose at a rate of 0.4 to 0.6 lbs per week, I'm looking forward to learning through trial if the diet strategy is accurate for me (will adjust when needed)......training routine is that of a minimalist approach, only doing whats absolutely necessary to maintain strength during cut...nothing more.

• giancarlov1191
    Nice, let us know how you progress!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Nice, good luck! Are you trying anything different this time or doing what works?
  • fitnessguy266
    Nice, let us know how you progress!

Thanks! I will try to update weekly here results week over week.

• fitnessguy266
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Nice, good luck! Are you trying anything different this time or doing what works?

I appreciate it! Intensity practicing TUT is something i've had success with in the past, definitely will continue this approach rather bulking/cutting. The flexibility of food choices during "disconnect" periods through the week (twice per week) has changed a tad bit......I'm going to make pizza thing work for me for sure lol!

• fitnessguy266
    Update:

Weight loss of 1.6 pounds since starting January 27th, this is a bit faster than I would have liked considering contest date isn't until March 28th, will be upping caloric intake to 1700 on training days, 1500 non training days. I weigh myself consistently on Monday's at 8am, with no clothing.

Training is showing promise, maintaining intensity and strength, even a 10 pound increase on incline bench. As of now, no adjustments need to be made here.
  • giancarlov1191
    Sounds good!
  • fitnessguy266
    Update:

Lost what 2 days of weighing fluctuates between 0.3 and 0.5 pounds.....this is more ideal! My 100 per day calorie increase has come from wrapping my chicken breast into multigrain wraps daily vs. cutting it up and eating it with a fork (they get consumed faster as well lol). I feel a bit fuller and visibly more vascular since the carb increase as well.

Training, thankfully, is still productive and have not dropped in weight in any lift....i do now sub out seated military press for smith machine shoulder press as precaution (more delicate the leaner you are, for some individuals). All in all, things are going well. 4 weeks left till showtime!
  • giancarlov1191
    Thanks for keeping us updated
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Update:

Lost what 2 days of weighing fluctuates between 0.3 and 0.5 pounds.....this is more ideal! My 100 per day calorie increase has come from wrapping my chicken breast into multigrain wraps daily vs. cutting it up and eating it with a fork (they get consumed faster as well lol). I feel a bit fuller and visibly more vascular since the carb increase as well.

Training, thankfully, is still productive and have not dropped in weight in any lift....i do now sub out seated military press for smith machine shoulder press as precaution (more delicate the leaner you are, for some individuals). All in all, things are going well. 4 weeks left till showtime!

Sounds like you have everything dailed in and on point 👍
  • daniworks
    daniworks Posts: 12 Member
    Nice progress.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    What is your height/weight? Good work
  • fitnessguy266
    Tic78 wrote: »
    What is your height/weight? Good work

Thank you!

Height: 5"6 (Manlet lol)
    Weight: 140.1

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Update:

Caught Influenza Type B half of last week, today is the first day I am feeling roughly 90% better. Throughout the flu, I kept protein a bit higher than normal (30g more) as I obviously would not be in the gym. Last week sucked, but will measure how I'm feeling throughout the day to see if I'm ready to hit the gym and continue.

Will give a full update once doing so.

Sorry to hear that. I went through that a few weeks ago. Even when I felt fairly recovered the gym was super tough. I had a hard time catching my wind - particularly with compounds and every hard set had me locating the nearest trash bin ... "just in case". Yesterday was the first day that actually felt normal, even though I ended up with a monster of a cramp in my forearm.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Update:

Caught Influenza Type B half of last week, today is the first day I am feeling roughly 90% better. Throughout the flu, I kept protein a bit higher than normal (30g more) as I obviously would not be in the gym. Last week sucked, but will measure how I'm feeling throughout the day to see if I'm ready to hit the gym and continue.

I am right there with you! My goals are on point but now I am sick 😷
    I am getting back on track with my diet finally but still need to recover more before making my way back to the gym.
    Diet:
    125g protein, 125g carbs, 55g fat 1495 calories
    Gallon of water
    Plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries
    8 oz ground turkey or diced chicken with 6-8oz frozen veggies, a little sauce
    Protein shake
    Dinner is open but I try to be reasonable, make my food at home and get close to my macros.
    Normally I have enough carbs left for a fruit bowl.

• fitnessguy266
    Update:

I have been back in the gym 4 days now since overcoming the flu, as expected, i am retaining a tad bit of water weight (3 pound increase) due to lack of activity and other factors. I, however, have maintained strength, intensity is more moderate than high though. I'm looking a bit more vascular and dry, so my thoughts are the sickness has not impacted fat loss efforts due to a maintained consistent caloric deficit (will post an update pic later). I'm sure I haven't lost momentum, as it's only been a week out of the gym.
  • fitnessguy266
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Update:

Sorry to hear that. I went through that a few weeks ago. Even when I felt fairly recovered the gym was super tough. I had a hard time catching my wind - particularly with compounds and every hard set had me locating the nearest trash bin ... "just in case". Yesterday was the first day that actually felt normal, even though I ended up with a monster of a cramp in my forearm.

Feel ya there! My routine is mostly made of compound lifts, so I have experienced that feel before!