Sore after working out, every time

Options
Hi, I know that it is normal to be sore after the first time working out or after trying a new program etc but lately I have been sore the day after every single session. (I have been working out several times a week for years so definately not a newbie..) I am doing circuit training and it is different every day so maybe working different muscle groups? But I find that I am stiff and sore after every gym session now all of a sudden. Does anyone have any tips for helping? Should I be doing/eating something particular after a work out to help? And is this harmful?

Replies

• tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,521 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch and roll out at all after? Protein can help with muscle recovery. And lots of water!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,271 Member
    Options
    How is your rest/sleep, overall nutrition, non-exercise stress level, typical hydration? Have you been trying to lose weight, and at a calorie deficit for a long time now?
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How is your rest/sleep, overall nutrition, non-exercise stress level, typical hydration? Have you been trying to lose weight, and at a calorie deficit for a long time now?

Sleep, stress levels and nutrition are quite good.. could definately be drinking more though!!

I don’t have an aggressive deficit at all and generally eat around 1900-2000 cal a day.

Just curious as to why I am sore all of a sudden when nothing else has really changed

• ang82much
    ang82much Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! I think some people do suffer from DOMS a lot more than others, and i've tried to read up about what you can do about it, and not really found a magic bullet - maybe hobbitses333 is on to something with the 'more rest' idea, i'm not suffering abnormally at the moment and i recently had a week in UK away from the gym...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any cool down stretches afterwards? The only time I experienced this is when I've upped weights/exercise reps or if I've skipped stretching cos I've been feeling lazy.
  • adelinue
    adelinue Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? If this was really recent, then maybe it's not fitness related? Something as simple as the flue can give you muscle soreness. Do you have other flue symptoms? (Cough, Headaches, slight fever?)
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Hi, I know that it is normal to be sore after the first time working out or after trying a new program etc but lately I have been sore the day after every single session. (I have been working out several times a week for years so definately not a newbie..) I am doing circuit training and it is different every day so maybe working different muscle groups? But I find that I am stiff and sore after every gym session now all of a sudden. Does anyone have any tips for helping? Should I be doing/eating something particular after a work out to help? And is this harmful?

I'm surprised nobody caught this.

It sounds like what you are doing is what a typical chain gym type trainer does to their clients. You might be doing "circuit" training but if you are doing something different every time - even radically changing the order of what you are doing - you are going to have DOM's. They do this to people because 1) clients feel that they had a great workout because they are sore and 2) they don't have to really track progression for their clients or even remember what they did the last time. Anyhow, that's probably the issue. Develop a routine - even if you are circuit training. Stick to that routine and incorporate progressive overload over time and you will get both fitter and stronger.

OP didn't say this was a new program, she said she knows it's normal after a new program, followed by "but" and then mentions that she's not a newbie and this muscle stiffness has come on all of a sudden. This doesn't imply it's a new program for them.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »

I'm surprised nobody caught this.

It sounds like what you are doing is what a typical chain gym type trainer does to their clients. You might be doing "circuit" training but if you are doing something different every time - even radically changing the order of what you are doing - you are going to have DOM's. They do this to people because 1) clients feel that they had a great workout because they are sore and 2) they don't have to really track progression for their clients or even remember what they did the last time. Anyhow, that's probably the issue. Develop a routine - even if you are circuit training. Stick to that routine and incorporate progressive overload over time and you will get both fitter and stronger.

OP didn't say this was a new program, she said she knows it's normal after a new program, followed by "but" and then mentions that she's not a newbie and this muscle stiffness has come on all of a sudden. This doesn't imply it's a new program for them.

If she's doing something different every day then basically it's a "new program" every day - doesn't matter if you tag it with the same name.

Maybe I am reading this differently but I was taking that to mean Monday is one routine, Tuesday another routine, etc and repeating weekly, not a different routine every single day going forward, could be wrong though.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    From what i read. I'm sore every day also, but i hardly stretch, so im working on stretching more. Its hard for me to stretch.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I do stretches and am sore 9/10 after exercise and I work out several times a week for 13 months soild
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try dynamic stretching before your workouts if you are not already doing so. In my experience dynamic stretching works better for me when I am doing higher intensity circuit training. I don't feel that static stretching is adequately preparing my muscles for a vigorous workout. I save static stretching for after the workout.
  • ang82much
    ang82much Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I'm interested in this and have a couple of q's (sorry OP if i'm using your thread for myself :) )
    1) What's wrong with using lots of different muscles in different movements all the time? Why is it frowned upon - surely this is a natural thing? To me it seems preferable to just training a small set of muscles by repeating exactly the same thing. Looking forward to being told why i'm wrong :)
    2) Even if you do all the different stuff all the time, it's still the same old quads/hammies etc that keep being sore, (in my case) so why is that? I can't imagine they would be happier if i did exactly the same exercise regularly but just kept upping the weights.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I really recommend doing some yoga after the workout. Just fifteen minutes of san salutes, warriors and half moons etc will ease out all the muscles gently. I do power yoga and one thing I love about it is waking up the next day feeling every muscle has been worked hard but they aren't stiff. They just feel stronger.