Interesting article on genetics-based dieting

Options
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/let-s-all-stop-holding-out-for-science-to-find-the-perfect-diet

Doesn't sound like it's going to be the be-all, end-all and I can't say I'm shocked.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside I believe you've mentioned working in a lab for a company that offered diets as a result of genetic testing - would love to hear your thoughts.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @cmriverside I believe you've mentioned working in a lab for a company that offered diets as a result of genetic testing - would love to hear your thoughts.

Nope, cmriverside worked in a DNA lab that was involved in giving evidence against it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Ugh.

First paragraph:
    The science of how we each individually process and respond to food is just getting going

later on:
    “we can’t be specific about the product, because it’s going to be driven by the science” and that science isn’t done yet—

and:
    but the evidence that it will be better than following the direction of a nutritionist or spending some time tracking how you feel in a food diary—tools that are available right now—isn’t yet there.

So, after just skimming the article, and since the research isn't done yet - that's my take.

I did work in a DNA lab. We did sell those DNA Diet tests, we had to testify before Congress and the tests were ordered to be stopped (or at least the claims about DNA and diet being made by the end-point seller.) That was a few years ago.

I think some day there will be research that will point to some nutritionally significant personal tendencies. I think this idea of Zoe's is good, heck I thought it was good in 2000...it just has yet to be documented as something worth paying for. These tests back in the early 2000's were costing several hundred dollars.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Zoe seems to be really interested in gut biome, too, which is trendy. That part is fairly new science and I don't see how that is DNA related, but what do I know?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Knowing what kind of food works for me and what doesn’t I’d love to test this. But
    1. it’s super expensive
    2. many if these genetic testing companies reserve the right to use your data for anything basically, including sharing or selling it to third parties.