Lose 10 lbs in September Challenge

Options

Replies

• sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yay, I finally found the thread!! I am looking forward to getting through this plateau.....weight training, here I come!!
  • LoMadd0406
    LoMadd0406 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So excited to get this september challenge going! I lost 6.7 pounds in august and striving to make the 10 pound mark!!!!
  • avika1
    Options
    count me in
  • ingot81
    ingot81 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm on and it's correct. I'm so impressed and pleased that you've taken the time to help so many. Thank you!

I think I must've read your mind. I completed part of the mini challenge yesterday. I went to a Body Pump class for the first time. I'm beginning to tone in preparation for skinny me.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Mini-challenge:

1. Drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of water EVERY DAY - our bodies are primarily water and WILL NOT FUNCTION without the proper amounts. 64oz is an absolute minimum daily intake just for your body to function - so how do you expect to lose weight if your body is dehydrated?? This is not a challenge for me, I drink one cup of coffee a day then the rest is water.

2. Try a new exercise that you don't normally do or haven't done in a really long time. For women this might be weight training - a lot of times we have AWESOME cardiovascular systems but no muscle whatsoever, but our muscle is the fat-burners in our bodies. Also, sometimes our bodies simply get used to what we are doing and thus the dreaded plateau. Try to confuse your body this week and report back with what you did and how you liked it. ~~~ Well I planned on starting weight training anyways so it might be that but I have really wanted to try a zumba class. My gym offers them for free. I just need to get the guts to go. I am going to try a zumba class. eeeekkkk

3. Think about (and share if you feel comfortable) what got you to where you are today. Why did you let yourself go? What was your awakening moment when you knew something had to change? What situations trigger you to not make healthy decisions and how can you control those situations? Life happens, and sometimes we need to focus on what happens in life and how we react to those situations and be ready to deal with them when they arise.

Why did I let myself go? My weight has been creeping (sometimes soaring) since I met my husband 8 years ago. I quit smoking 6 years ago and that added the most weight (40 to 60 pounds). I was comfortable and stopped working out and I gained weight. As well, when I lived be myself I never let sweets in the house because I would eat them. My husband always had cookies in the house. I gave in and allowed the cookies in the house and then promptly ate them. lol

What was your awakening moment when you knew something had to change? I have been slowly changing my lifestyle to eat more "clean" over the last 2 years but have not really concentrated on losing weight until recently. The awakening moment that I knew something had to change is 3 fold. We've been trying to get pregnant for 2.5 years and I've known my weight is not helping. We had family pictures done and I looked huge. We went on a helicopter ride over the grand canyon and I was the heaviest person on the flight.

What situations trigger you to not make healthy decisions and how can you control those situations? eating out and ordering pizza. I am trying to learn to plan ahead on what to order at a restaurant then I don't have to choose when I'm hungry and vunerable. We no longer order pizza by the pie, we order by the slice so its more portion controlled.

Good luck to all and I'm super excited for this challenge.
  • Kassie37
    Kassie37 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great idea to have us update the spreadsheet - google docs is pretty sweet. :P

Good luck everyone!!

P.s. Feel free to add me! :)
  • joanieizme
    joanieizme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in ! I will inbox you my starting weight.
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    MINI-CHALLENGE FOR WEEK 1:

3. Think about (and share if you feel comfortable) what got you to where you are today. Why did you let yourself go? What was your awakening moment when you knew something had to change? What situations trigger you to not make healthy decisions and how can you control those situations? Life happens, and sometimes we need to focus on what happens in life and how we react to those situations and be ready to deal with them when they arise.

Comfort got me to where I am today...comfort and laziness added with several cups of my love for anything sugary and sweet. I was thin all of my life until the age of 19, although at this age I was also right at the maximum weight for my height (131 lbs).
    Ultimately my journey psychologically to get to this point started almost 2 years ago. My family moved 5 hours from my old home, I realized I needed to lose the 76 pounds I had put on over a period of 10 years. I joined Weight Watchers but managed to only lose 10 lbs because I wasn't ready at that time psychologically. I went another year of getting really acquainted with St. Louis food (yuuuuuuummmmm) and managed to gain an additional 30 lbs, topping out at 206 lbs...my highest ever and extremely hard on my 5'2" body!! What pushed me over the edge was a couple of events that happened in quick succession. Christmas shopping season 2010, we were rushing to get to GameStop literally minutes before they were closing on X-Mas Eve to pick up one last gift for the kids, a Wii....My husband (the athletic one with mile long legs) was rushing through the crowds and I was making every atttempt to race walk with him and I just couldn't do it. I felt like I was going to pass out, my legs were burning and I couldn't breathe!! It was horrible! The next event was when my daughter took a picture of me playing the Wii and I was able to really "see" for the first time what my body looked like to other people....extra gross! Another month went by before I was mentally prepared to take it all on. I went to Borders and picked up an issue of Oxygens Fat Loss magazine and read it front cover to back cover on the 15 minute drive home and then again when I got home. I cleaned out cabinents and the fridge. I joined Weight Watchers (for the 2nd time, I had cancelled it after 2 months on the previous attempt) and went to Target where I bought several DVDs, hand weights, resistance cables, and a yoga mat. I walked, I worked out, I ate good....I also was taking a fat burner that was recommended to me by someone at GNC and drinking protein shakes as well. During the first 4 months (Feb, Mar, Apr, May) I lost a total of 36 lbs....I plateaued and I grew frustrated. I tried another cycle of fat burner and changing my workouts but nothing....in July I discovered MFP and was full speed ahead, I managed to gain 10 damn lbs (per the scale and my jeans) but I have since managed to lose 5 of those gained back and I am going to manage to lose another 10 in Sept!

Sugar is still my downfall but I am making a major attempt to eat as clean as possible, when I rid my life of sugar, processed foods, and fast foods my weight goes down. My body simply does not tolerate the sugars well at all, I know this!

I have 6 months until my 31st birthday and come hell or high water on that day in 2012 I WILL weigh in at 120 lbs!!!!!!!
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Crap! I shoulda picked a username that started with "A!" LOL!!
  • StaceKaiman
    Options

Oh boy I remember the exact trigger that caused my weight to spiral out of control it was 2 days before my 20th Birthday in 2002 and I got that phone call that no one wants to get it was the call that changed my life. At 2 in the morning on October 1st the phone rang and it was the hospital telling me that my Mom had died. (my mom had metastatic breast cancer that came back as bone cancer) after that I just turned to eating to make me feel better. This was my second time dealing with this in my family as back in 1996 I lost my little brother to Leukemia so I was no stranger to loss, but when I lost my mom it was too much for me to deal with. I knew I was gaining weight but I didn't care, once I starting comeing out of my depression it was too late the damage was done. Over the last 7 years I have tried to lose the weight but I would usually end up reverting back to my old ways after a few weeks, it wasn't until 2 months ago when my Husband and I bought a house and I was denied Life Insurance because of the underlying health issues that come along with being overweight that I decided once and for all something had to be done about. I was embarassed to be denied I was even more embarassed to have to tell people that I was denied, so here I am 8 weeks later and a total of 26 lbs lost so far (still lots of work to do) but I already feel so much better and can't wait to reach my goal weight. I had always been a little overweight as a kid but in my twenties I was/am way overweight so I really don't know what it is like to be skinny and can't wait to give it a spin! In the future when I come across situations that are highly emotional like I have delt with in the past I will not use food as therapy I will need to really talk it out and not keep everything bottled up inside me, it's obviously too destructive for me to do that.
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Wowzers 700 people!
    That's awesome.
    Looks like you have a second job in the charting department!

Right?!! Is this going to stay one big group, or break down into teams like last month? That's a lot of people! :noway:

Hey how can I see the spreadsheet!!!! Im going on the site she put out there and I can't pull it up!!! Yes I know lol. Im not too much how computers work, so don't make fun off me!!!!! lol
  • ladeb
    ladeb Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I added myself to the spreadsheet - I am official. Love this idea and the idea of maintaining yourself on the spreadsheet.

For me, the problem started when I started dating my dh (20 years on 9/21). I was very active and when I went out at night, I may have had a drink, but I danced and danced. My dh doesn't like to dance, drank beer and preferred sports bars. Add to that 2 kids, a more sedentary lifestyle and aging and you get to be 220+ lbs.

Last November, I was depressed, felt sorry for myself that I was not able to keep up with my kids and at my highest weight ever. I just had had enough. So, I put up the money for a club membership (where I learned about MFP) and a personal trainer. I lost the 40 pounds I am down by March. I have maintained that weight loss, but have been stuck at my current weight since then.

Why am I stalled? I have reverted back to some bad habits (diet soda instead of water/not planning & recording my food and exercise) and my schedule has been such that I have just been feeling overwhelmed all summer. School is starting up, my routine (such that it is) will be more normal, and I am feeling again very motivated to kick-start myself and drop the rest of the weight! I am proud that I have maintained the 40 lb loss, but I still am not at my healthy goal. Going forward, I have to work on taking the time to plan my food and do some prep work in the evenings for the next day - especially during the work week.

Thanks for this forum!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Its great to read everyones stories of where the were and are with their journey! I love it.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Water is definitely not an issue...10-12 glasses nearly everyday.

I will not promise to try anything new this week because I am starting two different exercise challenges, but by the end of the month my goal is to take a Zumba class. I think I will feel healthy enough to keep up, and I love to dance.

Excuses are what got me to where I am. I knew something was wrong hormonally, so I threw up my hands saying I can't do anything about it. After I crossed over 300lbs, I finally was diagnosed with the root cause and then expected that the medicine would just take care of it. I would work out for a while, lose about 30lbs, feel good about myself, and then stop...as if I had done some tremendous thing...30lbs in the grand scheme of 300 is nothing, or at the very least not enough to stop going. I was always too busy, too tired, too stressed to focus my attention on myself. The deciding factor was the end of the school year when I could hardly fit into any of my work clothes. My girls were leaving for college, I was changing jobs (giving me a little freedom from grading papers and tutoring after school, and I just decided this was ME time. I found and started this site on June 17. In the first 2 weeks, I lost 5 lbs (water weight), but wasn't working out and wasn't really doing much other than just tracking what I "normally" ate daily. July 2, I joined the YWCA and my weight quickly shot up to my highest ever 348. It was then that I started actually paying attention to the nutritionally value of the foods I was eating, especially sodium. At this time, I also saw a candid picture of me and was totally disgusted. I am definitely NOT one of those people who see themselves as their size or bigger. Coming face-to-face with my highest weight was enough to kickstart what I needed to do. July 17, I have lost 31lbs and I'm still going steady.
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    :smooched:

Oh boy I remember the exact trigger that caused my weight to spiral out of control it was 2 days before my 20th Birthday in 2002 and I got that phone call that no one wants to get it was the call that changed my life. At 2 in the morning on October 1st the phone rang and it was the hospital telling me that my Mom had died. (my mom had metastatic breast cancer that came back as bone cancer) after that I just turned to eating to make me feel better. This was my second time dealing with this in my family as back in 1996 I lost my little brother to Leukemia so I was no stranger to loss, but when I lost my mom it was too much for me to deal with. I knew I was gaining weight but I didn't care, once I starting comeing out of my depression it was too late the damage was done. Over the last 7 years I have tried to lose the weight but I would usually end up reverting back to my old ways after a few weeks, it wasn't until 2 months ago when my Husband and I bought a house and I was denied Life Insurance because of the underlying health issues that come along with being overweight that I decided once and for all something had to be done about. I was embarassed to be denied I was even more embarassed to have to tell people that I was denied, so here I am 8 weeks later and a total of 26 lbs lost so far (still lots of work to do) but I already feel so much better and can't wait to reach my goal weight. I had always been a little overweight as a kid but in my twenties I was/am way overweight so I really don't know what it is like to be skinny and can't wait to give it a spin! In the future when I come across situations that are highly emotional like I have delt with in the past I will not use food as therapy I will need to really talk it out and not keep everything bottled up inside me, it's obviously too destructive for me to do that.

You are a true inspiration! My mom had uterine cancer and they caught it just in time. She has been a diabetic since she was 8 years old. She is 45 and has had 3 heart attacks, 4 congestive heart failures, kidney disease, uterine cancer, perfrial artery disease, lazer surgery (she was declared legally blind in 2002). She is my hero and my miracle! I come from a pretty religious family and I will tell you that, it helped me through all of that! I could never imagine going through what you have gone through and I thank God every day that my mother is still here with me. I just want you to know how proud I am of you, as you should be yourself! You have made a commitment--- STICK TO IT because you can do this! I will be here for you every step of the way to help you if you need it! You seem like such an amazing person and you deserve to be happy!!!!!!!
  • amie031182
    amie031182 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I'm here after having a lot of life circumstances all occurred within a month time frame- first I had my son and was not able to exercise after hitting the 5 month mark of my pregnancy due to complications, I decided I wanted to be closer to family, so I took a job transfer , sold our home (had 58 showings in 30 days) and moved cross country for my new job when he was 4 months old. A lot to take on as a brand new mom. I let my eating habits and exercising slip and used all of the above as my excuse. My son is now 2...yes 2 and I have not lost the weight yet. What changed- I could no longer look at myself and the way I looked in the mirror. Pre-baby I was 150 lbs in amazing shape-very healthy and exercised 5+ days a week, and I realized that I need to be back there again for my mental health, happiness and future!

I've been on track now with my lifestyle changes since July 25th. As of today I've lost 9.8 lbs, have made exercising and eating healthy a priority and am getting my family involved so my son grows up knowing how to make healthy choices and stay active.
  • JWoodyard07
    JWoodyard07 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What caused me to spiral out of control....that is a long story. When I was younger, until I was between 8-10, I was relatively thin. At 8, I hit puberty, yes, 8 years old. Around 10 I started eating more and by the time I was 12, I wore a size 12. At 16, I joined my schools track team with my best friend and became anorexic. I would not eat and then workout hardcore at track practice. My mom found out and got me to a healthy size 6. When I met my now husband, I was a 6 then a 10. That was ok with me, I was happy. At 23, I became pregnant with our first child and I over ate. I am not talking a little, I went from 150 to 220 when I gave birth. He had a mishap at delivery and when he was born, the news didn't look so good. He has cerebral palsy and we were told he would be a vegetable. (he is not by the way, he has a mild form:))I took that news hard and continued my bad eating. 3 years later, I gave birth to my daughter. I did not gain as much but was 219 when I gave birth to her. I continued eating yucky and didn't care. That all change in February of this year. My mom, who I love so much has had medical problems for a long time and went down hill when my dad died in 2003. That was her soul mate. She developed Emphysema, COPD and was morbidly obese. In 2007 when my son was in the NICU, my mom had her first stint in the ICU as well. It would not be her last. She was in the ICU at least 5 times since every time the Dr's diagnosis got worse. On February 1, 2011 my mom went into the hospital for what would be her last time. She could have made it had she not weighed so much and because of her lungs and heart, she did not qualify for gastric bypass. She left both me and my brother orphans at 28 and 21 respectively. That is when it hit me that I don't want my kids to be left with no parents at my age. I want to see both of them realize their dreams. So here I am trying to get healthy for them.
  • allycaturban
    Options
    count me in :)
  • Caro239
    Caro239 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1. Drink more water than that everyday - no problem.
    2. I am going to try Zumba, but I can't fit it in this week.

Think about (and share if you feel comfortable) what got you to where you are today. Why did you let yourself go? What was your awakening moment when you knew something had to change? What situations trigger you to not make healthy decisions and how can you control those situations? Life happens, and sometimes we need to focus on what happens in life and how we react to those situations and be ready to deal with them when they arise.

I let my self go by putting on 4 stone when pregnant. I new I had to change when the doctor said I was borderline obese and too fat to take the combined contraceptive pill. Situations are socialising and being too hungry.
  • traci0620
    traci0620 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is worth a shot, I am in!!