Lose 10 lbs in September Challenge

Options

Replies

• kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I somehow managed to lose 2lbs last week! I'm beginning to believe all the "eat more to lose" folks here on MFP because I definitely have eaten more in the last couple weeks and had a bigger loss than I've had for quite some time.

As for the challenge, last week I did well. Water is never an issue (I tend to average close to 100oz/day). I tried a Zumba class for the first time (and LOVED it). I really don't have any defining "what got me here". I've never been thin, it's always been a battle and I finally decided I was tired of dieting/gaining back/dieting/etc. I wanted off the roller coaster for good and MFP seems to be the perfect tool to teach me how to eat normally while still getting the weight off.

I'll go through my recipes for find a favorite and post later.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I somehow managed to lose 2lbs last week! I'm beginning to believe all the "eat more to lose" folks here on MFP because I definitely have eaten more in the last couple weeks and had a bigger loss than I've had for quite some time.

As for the challenge, last week I did well. Water is never an issue (I tend to average close to 100oz/day). I tried a Zumba class for the first time (and LOVED it). I really don't have any defining "what got me here". I've never been thin, it's always been a battle and I finally decided I was tired of dieting/gaining back/dieting/etc. I wanted off the roller coaster for good and MFP seems to be the perfect tool to teach me how to eat normally while still getting the weight off.

I'll go through my recipes for find a favorite and post later.

Glad you enjoyed Zumba! I LOVE it! I suck at it, but I love it! lol
  • Maputi
    Maputi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Page2777
    Options
    well i weighed in on sunday 4th september and i was 180 (5pounds lost)
    weighed in today 11 september and i am 177 (3 pounds lost)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Very happy with my loss from last week, but I fear this week will be more difficult for me.

1. Continue drinking 64 oz water/day Usually not a problem but my Mom is in the hospital and it makes it more difficult.
    2. 3,500 calories = 1 lb...try to burn 3,500 calories exercising between Friday Sept. 9 and Thursday Sept. 15 (it's only 500 calories/day - you got this!!) I will do my best but again I'm spending long hours at the hospital and it makes it difficult.
    3. Share one of your favorite healthy recipes!

Taco soup

I make this in the crock pot in the am before I leave for work

1 can of kidney beans
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of great northern beans
    1 can of corn
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 can of diced tomatoes w/ chilis
    1 packet of hidden valley ranch
    1 packet of taco seasoning

Mix and put on low all day. My husband ate this at least 10 times before realizing there was no meat in it.

I eat clean and the packet have too much sodium as well so if you prefer you can replace the following for the packets.

Ranch dressing
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon onion salt
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)'

Taco seasoning

4 teaspoons dried minced onion
    3 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.8 lbs last week. Hurray! Maybe I'll reach two this week. :

1. 64 oz water per day - got that! :)

2. Burn 3500 calories this week - yikes! I'm already 1,000 behind. Better get moving!

3. Recipe - I just made this today. I love chicken salad, but it's best (and evilest) loaded with Hellmann's mayonnaise. I've found lots of lighter versions out there that sub fat-free mayo, but I can't stand that stuff. My weekly produce delivery brought some awesome red seedless grapes and I couldn't resist the call of chicken salad any longer, so tried to lighten it a bit with half mayo and half greek yogurt. It was great wrapped in a Flat-out multi-grain wrap with a pile of greens!

3oz serving = 116 calories/6g fat/5g carbs/10g protein.

I made this a shared food in the MFP database called "Homemade Nikkie's Chicken Salad. The sodium number does not include added salt, garlic salt or celery salt since it's quite subjective, depending on how much and what people choose to use. If you're concerned about sodium, I recommend garlic powder, and celery salt.

Makes 8 servings, 3oz each.

chickensalad.jpg
    Served with a side of Skinnytaste onion rings.:)

Here's the recipe:

Lighter Chicken Salad
    - 8 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded or finely chopped (see note below)
    - 3 stalks celery (about 3oz), thinly sliced
    - 2 green onions (dark and light green parts only), thinly sliced
    - about 30 red or black seedless grapes (6 oz by weight)
    - 4 Tbsp (2 ounces) Hellmann's mayonnaise (use the good stuff!)
    - 4 Tbsp (2 ounces) plain fat free greek yogurt (I used Oikos organic)
    Garlic salt, Celery salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together and enjoy!

Note - so many recipes call for cooked chicken. I'll sometimes put a few chicken breasts in the crock pot and add water to cover, the cook on low about 8 hours. The chicken will shred beautifully and be nice and juicy when it's done. I'll even make far more than I need and bag/freeze the extra cooked chicken for later use.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OK, I have yet to actually respond to any of the challenges, although I HAVE been doing them. So, I'll give the short version:
    1. I hate water, but I will do my best... and although I didn't drink as much as I should have the first week, I actually did become more aware of when and how much water I am drinking.
    2. I tried lifting weights the first week and I am hurting. BUT it feels really good and I attribute my loss for the week to THAT!
    3. I was initially inspired to begin taking care of myself after 1) I lost a friend to cancer and 2) I had my 4th (and final) child. Zumba has been a major part of my weight loss journey and has changed my life... literally. If you want to read more about my weight loss journey to this point, you can check out my profile.
    4. 3500 calories should be only a small push from what I do right now. So, I'm not too worried about that one.
    5. I am a stay-at-home mom and I LOVE cooking. BUT just because I'm home, doesn't mean I want to cook for every meal. Plus, I teach Zumba on Mon, Tues, and Thurs... so I need quick dinners on those days especially. So, I'm going to share a VERY QUICK, SUPER EASY RECIPE!!!! This is my own recipe... although it's nothing especially original. LOL

Tuna Salad
    Serves: 6
    Total Calories: 509
    Calories per serving: 89

2 - Starkist Chunk Light Tuna 6.4oz pouch
    5 Tbsp- Miracle Whip Light
    6- Claussen Pickles Sanwich slices (Sometimes I like more than that... 2 pickles = 5 cals)
    1/2 White Onion (approx. 1/2 cup)

MIX TOGETHER! Of course the calories will change based upon what you eat it on. I usually have 2 open-faced tuna salad "sandwiches" on Sara Lee 45calorie bread. It's good and quick!
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah... you should dice that onion, but I figured you already knew that. LOL!
  • Athena413
    Options
    chickensalad.jpg

Looks YUMMY!
  • Athena413
    Options
    The sesame beef lettuce wraps sound really good, too!
  • bwesser
    Options
    Week 1 340, 2 pound loss. I suck.

I need to pick it up with my exercise which was non-existent this week. I absolutely have to get out and move around this weekend. My truck was broke down 3 days this week and I used that as an excuse to slack off.

No Surrender this week. I'm going to 4 lbs. If I have to go completely Vegan.

You do NOT suck! You had a loss, and though it might not be as much as you wanted.... you are still progressing! Don't be so hard on yourself!
  • bwesser
    Options
    Also, I must admit that I've slacked this weekend. I didn't have to work much, so I decided to have fun... and well, I didn't log calories on Sat. I know I went overboard.... so I didn't bother.

As for burning 3500 calories this week. I average 350 a day, and I work out 5 days a week... This is going to be hard with the limited time I have to go to the gym. I will do my best to wake up early and spend more time at the gym. :)
  • Tisch1985
    Tisch1985 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had my birthday weekend and have no idea how many calories i have had but i know it's alot! I'm afraid that i won't have any weight los this week and hoping that i don't gain more!

Also I'm never going to burn 3500 calories i will do my best to burn as much as i can!
    This isn't a good week for me :S have to step up my game!!
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had my birthday weekend and have no idea how many calories i have had but i know it's alot! I'm afraid that i won't have any weight los this week and hoping that i don't gain more!

Also I'm never going to burn 3500 calories i will do my best to burn as much as i can!

Just a little surprising mental note for you... Last week, I thought the same thing after having Friendly's for dinner on a Friday night with a HUGE ice cream, and Cheesecake Factory appetizer, meal, bread and HUGE cheesecake!! I said wow, I won't lose anything at all.... Believe it or not, I lost 0.4 pounds. Drink that water and get that exercise in. Good luck!
  • Athena413
    Options
    Had a little help from NickiStone on the spreadsheet formula to make it even more user friendly. Thanks for the update, Nicki!!
  • Tisch1985
    Tisch1985 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Just a little surprising mental note for you... Last week, I thought the same thing after having Friendly's for dinner on a Friday night with a HUGE ice cream, and Cheesecake Factory appetizer, meal, bread and HUGE cheesecake!! I said wow, I won't lose anything at all.... Believe it or not, I lost 0.4 pounds. Drink that water and get that exercise in. Good luck!

That's great! I hope i will lose some weight this week!! Today i did 50 min on my hometrainer and 20 min wii active 2!
    Now i will get my self ready to do some sit up and push ups!!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Exercise was good this week. I'm trying to increase my running distance, got up to 5 miles yesterday! And with my weight, that leads to a lot of burned calories :bigsmile:

Problem though was I had 2 big party days this weekend, which amounted to no weight loss, but I didn't gain either. I guess that is a victory. I don't know how to keep track of this diet with football starting up. And what to do when hockey season starts?! That's every day! I need to seriously change my usual social routine for the winter. Good luck guys on this week!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I *STILL* haven't lost a single pound. Well...on Thursday I went down a pound, but on Friday it was back up again. At least I'm maintaining though.

On a more positive note, I just bought a new, more supportive bed, and also made an appointment with a chiropractor/accupuncturist. SI joint pain has been keeping me from running and exercising as much as I would like. Maybe once I can move without pain those last few pounds will finally come off!
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's only Tuesday and I've gotten rid of 1459 calories. I reckon I'll hit the 3500 or just below it.
  • shrinkingviolet23
    Options
    Is it too late for me to join as I've only just seen this? Losing 10lbs this month will get me out of the 13st and into the 12s which I'm dying to get to!