MY 'healthy breakfast' is 1200+ calories what the HECK???!! SHOCKED

13»

Replies

• nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Well, better to realize is now than never! Assuming 1200 calories is the right amount for you (make sure you shouldn't be eating more).. you're going to want to strip down that breakfast! When I want oatmeal, I make 2 packets of instant oatmeal (100 calories each), add some cinnamon (0 calories), and a handful of blueberries (~25 calories). I make it with water and just add a splash of unsweetened almond milk (~15 calories). That tallies up to less than 250 calories. But, with only 1200 calories, I would recommend focusing more on protein for breakfast.. maybe try yogurt with berries as ceiswyn mentioned. You have to be very, very stringent with such a low calorie allowances of only 1200.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Sorry for the size of this photo - this poor guy on "Secret Eaters" got a similar, but even worse, wake-up call!

ai69lwykg9z7.jpg

Is this on Netflix, never heard of it but it looks interesting! My parents use half-and-half for milk, when I spend the night it's hard not to bring my cashew milk, a bowl of half-and-half adds up fast!

I'm in the US and I watch it on youtube. Another good one is Supersize vs. Superskinny. It's insane how poorly the people on those shows actually eat! Plus, I find it highly amusing that in every episode they make sure to mention how people in the US are fatter than people in the UK.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Look at logging your food in the beginning as a big "Ahhh HA!" moment. It explains why a body got fat. It is a great education. You weight..measure and learn... it is all part of the weight loss and fitness journey.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    WOW I’ve never heard of anyone using half n half or cream on their cereal! That sounds insane! But I can relate to eating an insane amount of cereal... when pregnant with my first baby, I would measure out accurate servings but I’d always go back for a 2nd and third bowl. I don’t hardly ever eat cereal anymore.

My mom used half and half in my foods when I was little and went below the growth chart for my age. She basically added cream or creamed soup to my foods and I remember also eating protein powder in ice cream. But this was to try to boost my weight and growth patterns.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I know it’s shocking I had the same shock when I ate breakfast and then clocked the calories which was 1600 omg that was a big day. So if you desire this meal I’d perhaps half the oats, skip chocolate milk, either half the banana or skip it ( or use on a higher carb day) either skip avacado or use a tbsp of avacado which I think is 100 cal ( something I used to do) the chia and pumpkin I’d either skip one or limit to a tbsp of each and I don’t know what golden syrup is. But skip it if high cal. Another thing is if you are individual adding each ingredient instead of using the recipe builder the calories will be different. Create your recipe and it helps you figure out calories by the portion you had as well oats can be high cal so I used half cup.
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Since losing weight and staying healthy is going to be a life thing, I’d work on cutting out a lot of the sugar. There’s hidden sugar in a lot of foods so adding it to oatmeal, milk and coffee is a pile-on. This meal for me would be one cup of oatmeal,, cinnamon, one banana and 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. I get the sugar I want from the banana. Everything else is just unnecessary calories. I’d also have 2/3 of 1% milk to 2 cappuccinos (4 shots of espresso total).
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    WOW I’ve never heard of anyone using half n half or cream on their cereal! That sounds insane! But I can relate to eating an insane amount of cereal... when pregnant with my first baby, I would measure out accurate servings but I’d always go back for a 2nd and third bowl. I don’t hardly ever eat cereal anymore.

The sad part is they're diabetic and chose it over milk because it has less sugar. Problem is it goes on frosted wheat!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2020
    I remember how shocked I was to find out the real size of a serving of cereal. And those tiny cheese servings? That was devastating.

Cut back on the golden syrup (try half and see if that's tolerable) and that sugar drink (nesquick - if that is the premade kind in the bottle it has 30+ grams of sugar in a cup. It's almost like drinking a soda for breakfast), and you'll save some calories. Might also feel less sluggish if you don't start your day off with a sugar binge.

ETA: I don't often start my day with a carb load, but I do like to eat peanut butter and jelly oatmeal after I do long runs. It's a delicious treat IMO, but far fewer calories than what you're eating.

I cook a serving of oats in protein-fortified nutmilk, then I add in a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of jelly. It's creamy and delicious. It's 425 calories, 6 grams fiber, 19 g protein, 14 g sugar. Great after run snack, but I suppose it could also be a "healthy" breakfast...