alternatives/working up to lunges?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Basically - I currently cannot seem to do lunges. I wobble, fall, and really don't have the strength to do them at the moment. It doesn't seem super safe to keep trying, even by a wall because I keep needing it for support and still am not able to do the full motion. I was doing lunges in my circuit before I had my concussion. I'm cleared for exercise and everything, but my body is much weaker now after about 2 solid months of being extremely sedentary (more than recommended). I also gained around 10lbs in that time and I'm sure that also impacts things.

If there is something smaller/easier that can work those muscles so I can improve their strength (I'm guessing glutes/quads? but I'm a newbie to exercise anyway). I do have access to a gym with weight machines if there's one that would be applicable, but if there's something bodyweight as well I'd be interested.

I am able to do most of my other lower body exercises properly - squats, recline cycle, walking, kickbacks/reverse deadbugs (hands and knees), clamshells, bridges - so it's really just the lunges where I'm not able to just start. I'm thinking there's a particular muscle/muscle group involved?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Do you have access to a TRX or other suspension trainer? You could do lunges holding the straps for balance/assistance.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I struggle with lunges too, it’s a balance thing for me, I’ve found that incorporating some yoga that focuses on balance has helped me out with that, I can also do backwards, side, and curtsy lunges better then traditional forward lunges.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Yoga is a good idea. I was thinking maybe step ups or stair climber also would work your legs. Could you do lunges next to a chair for balance? Have you tried reverse lunges?
  • jude100
    jude100 Posts: 3 Member
    Definitely keep trying with supported lunges. And get someone to spot your form. I recently started with a PT and it’s made a huge difference to that wobble!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'd start with split squats (stationary lunges).
    Once you master those, reverse lunges tend to be easier than the standard forward lunge.
    For all of these, wear shoes with no raised heel ( Converse, Vans, Keds, etc) or socks. Most shoes have a raised heel and/or a spongy sole, which makes balancing harder.
    Let us know how it goes.. :+1:
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'd start with split squats (stationary lunges).
    Once you master those, reverse lunges tend to be easier than the standard forward lunge.
    For all of these, wear shoes with no raised heel ( Converse, Vans, Keds, etc) or socks. Most shoes have a raised heel and/or a spongy sole, which makes balancing harder.
    Let us know how it goes.. :+1:

Thanks for the shoe tip!

The video is exactly the movement I cannot do now, without weight. I fall over, and even holding the wall I cannot get my knee down properly.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I would try standing in Zenkutsu-dachi. Your back leg is straight and provides support. p5smezag3plp.png
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    The video is exactly the movement I cannot do now, without weight. I fall over, and even holding the wall I cannot get my knee down properly.

If you mean the 1st video, i'm not sure muscle weakness is your issue, since you can squat, which works the legs about the same as split squats. It seems more like some sort of coordination issue (brain) left over from your concussion. Can you climb stairs? I'd probably start with that first, holding weights if necessary. It should help prep you to do lunges, especially if you include goblet squats for overall leg strength.