“Just” Calories In/Calories Out

Options
Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight solely counting calories (not carbs, macro’s, etc...) from start to current — with no exercise /moderate exercise?

By significant, I mean 20lbs plus...

I would love all answers, but especially related to women in their 30’s +

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,233 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs so far by counting my calories in and out and moderate exercise. I'm 37.

Why?
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Simple math. 3500 cals = 1lb of body weight. I found my tdee subtracted 1,000 from that number to get my total daily cals (2200 for now), so far I’ve lost 80lbs in the last year following the simple math formula.

I will say my body started transforming when I started counting macros. It’s true that your body weight will drop if you run a calorie deficit but the results and health might now follow if your macros are out of wack.

0ziu69emquci.png
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight solely counting calories (not carbs, macro’s, etc...) from start to current — with no exercise /moderate exercise?

By significant, I mean 20lbs plus...

I would love all answers, but especially related to women in their 30’s +

Not female but over 30. Yes, definitely I've lost weight without exercise. In fact it's my preferred method because I don't enjoy exercise.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yup, I tick all of those boxes. I'm almost 40 kg down from doing exactly what you described. You don't need a special fad diet to achieve a calorie deficit.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The reason for my question is, due to overlapping auto immune disease, I have to be careful with what I do. If I go low carb, I drip blood from my cuticles and bruise easily. I can lose weight and then have a flare up and gain like nobody’s business. It’s frustrating. However, with Keto and Low Carb, etc... so popular, I just wanted some encouragement that doing this in a way that helps me feel my best will still work. I have weeks to months where I can lift weights and walk a couple miles. Then I have moments where my legs won’t work at all and I’m wheelchair bound. With counting calories I can adjust what I eat and when to fit my needs at the time — it’s just helpful knowing that I don’t have to listen to all the hype about diets that don’t help me, and I thank each of you for being an encouragement!

As well as my physical disability, I also have a heart condition & autoimmune disease. My days can vary so much between "good" & "bad" periods, of each and can be a delicate balancing act. I detailed my loss in a previous post up thread, that is why I have found tracking on MFP works so well. I can adjust calories in/targets to allow for these differences. Accepting a slower loss through harder days, when the calorie deficit was smaller. But I also found cutting to low, would also trigger a flare of my autoimmune disease, needing adequate "fuel" to get through these days. But accurate calorie journals, compared to my loss, over time, helped me find my "sweet spot".

• JPaigeWatts
    JPaigeWatts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Plus, we love carbs :smiley:

👆🏻 Same brother, same!

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    While I walk and do a little bit of gentle yoga, I can't do much more exercise without risking pain flare ups.

Calorie counting has allowed me to lose a little over 20 pounds since last Spring. I now weigh 122 lbs - I am 5'3" and 55 years old.
  • ActionRZ
    ActionRZ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Even though I “try” to somewhat limit carbs, I basically just watch calories only. However, I am also trying to eat more protein. I am almost at my original set goal weight but I also figured I’d have more muscle by then too.