Advice from Runners

Options
I am planning to start couch to 5k. Any advice from runners?

I am type 2 diabetic and eating what I need to is a particular concern.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    C25k is a good plan to get you started. As stated above, run the running portions very slowly. It should be an easy jog, not a sprint. Don't worry about your speed, that will come with time as you get more efficient. If you need to repeat days or weeks, do it. Stretch after your runs, not before. That's what the walking 5 minutes is for.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Run slowly, as said above, and get some shoes that aren't "athleisure" sneakers.
  • jh270593
    jh270593 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've recently started doing parkrun every Saturday. It's a walk, run or jog 5k every week. I've managed to go from 46 min to 39 min in about a month. No pressure to run/walk, you can do it at your own pace!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile
    Think you might know this best.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25k also. I've done the first two, and I swear my "run" (jog/stagger) is slower than my walk, lol.

Did you see Brittany Runs a Marathon? There's a scene where she and her running buddy are chugging along all sweating and struggling and a couple of kids pass them, walking. I lolled.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,795 Member
    Options
    All good advice. In hindsight I wish I had kept track of my mileage during my initial couch to 5K program I started in 2017. I only began using map my run afterwards, and being a data crazy fool I missed out on what I had done for the 2 months. As folks have said take it slowly. It sounds like the type 2 makes it a little more tricky to manage things. When I started I did half of each workout per day for a while. I also still use the ap although I actually run more daily but I use it for rest days or for sprint workouts as I like the timers on it. Run 2 minutes, walk 1 etc... which are great for farklet type speed days. There is also a group on here specially for C25K folks which you can join for motivation. Best of luck!

• petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile

My medication is Trulicity, metfromin, short and long acting insulin. I check my blood sugar regularly. I'm what is described as a "brittle diabetic" to make the explanation of what I deal with shorter. I typically drop in sugar levels when I workout. I used to have a Dexcom Continous Glucose Monitor (misdiagosed as type 1 so I had machines, long story....) so I saw how my body reacted to workouts.

I am seeing my endocrinologist in about a week and will discuss what needs to be done about medication adjustments. Before I took out my insulin pump to workout to not go low, now I haven't a clue how to deal with it. I'll be careful, and bring juice with me until I see my endo. :o
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i can't speak to the diabetes part
    but run slower than you think you need to. run according to the plan. i would strongly recommend going to a local store and getting fitted for running shoes. local stores are also a great resource for local running groups, workshops, and fun runs