“Just” Calories In/Calories Out

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,449 Member
    Options
    One problem with autoimmune conditions is that during a flareup your body might store more water to help healing the attack. This is not fat, but it still shows up on the scale. Also, some medications (steroids) lead to an increased water weight and to more hunger. If you are aware of the first you're fine. Just keep on telling yourself that it's just water and will go on it's own again. The second is something you need to work on. It's hard, but doable.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds before I even began to walk more. So yes, as so many said, it’s very possible. I went on to lose 40 more pounds with elliptical and walking, and using light weights.
    Weight loss occurs when you eat less calories than your body burns. Exercise is very beneficial for overall health, and recommended, but not necessary for weight loss.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    While I walk and do a little bit of gentle yoga, I can't do much more exercise without risking pain flare ups.

Calorie counting has allowed me to lose a little over 20 pounds since last Spring. I now weigh 122 lbs - I am 5'3" and 55 years old.

And my macro answer:

I'm a pescatarian/ mostly vegetarian and I eat a lot of carbs (45-50%)! The only macro I "watch" is protein. While losing, I tried to get 70-100 grams. I now usually get 80-110 grams. I don't want to go too low (for general health) or too high (kidney concern per my nephrologist). I eat in the 1600-1700 calorie range for maintenance.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well, certainly. I've lost 92 pounds by just doing CICO.

I have had brief periods of exercise here and there, but all of that combined wouldn't count for more than 2 or 3 pounds at most. I was never consistent the times I exercised.

I am 23.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I've always ignored my macros. And I lost my first 40 lbs only counting calories and not doing much else. I've been exercising since, but I'm just trying to avoid too much loose skin.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm now 50, and last year, I've lost 8 kg (17lbs) by calorie reduction. I love my carbs, and I never take into account my macro's, just CICO.
    Just for the sake of this thread I've looked them up: 56% carbs, 27% fat and 16% protein.
    The last time I went to the gym was in my 30's.
    So yes, you can do this :smiley: