I'm not a rabbit...

Options
2»

Replies

• stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what my "qualifications" are. I have taken nutrition courses & studied enough about nutrition. I know exactly what it takes to become a nutritionist & or trainer. I'm not one, but at one time wanted to be. Soon found out I wanted something totally different for my life. It doesn't take much to be a "certified trainer". Take a class & you're certified. That doesn't mean you're a Dr. Please don't act like one.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Carrots are good for you and they're yum. Full of vitamins as long as you don't boil the hell out of them! Count them and it's all good. They count towards one of your 'five a day'. You don't want to stop eating them if you don't eat much veg anyway.

You say you like peppers, what about raw pepper slices? Do you like mushrooms? They are good raw in salads and sauteed or grilled for the large portabellos. You can roast them in balsamic vinegar too.

When I met my husband he didn't eat any veg. If he had fried rice from the chinese he would pick out the peas! Now he eats loads of veggies. Often you think you don't like something because when you had it before it wasn't prepared well, or you haven't tried it since you were a kid, but your tastes change alot as you get older.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    make a smoothie and try it with other friuts and vegetables.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What about making an Italian Mince (which can be used for lasagne or spagetti bolognese), and filling it with Veges?

I fill mine with onion, garlic, tomato, grated carrot, grated courgette, finely chopped mushrooms and peppers, and sometimes broccoli or celery.

Its not hugely traditional but its good for you and FULL of veges!

Or the other option is to make a Vege Soup. Peel and chop potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, swede, onion, garlic etc, then add a lentil soup mix and cook for 2-3 hours. It may need some more salt/celery salt. Its FULL of veges again, but only about 100 calories for a bowl.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is smoothies, but just make them with the fruits you like. My favourite is banana and berry, with milk or yoghurt. (about 200 calories per glass)

You don't have to use fruits you don't like!
  • MyNewLeaf
    Options
    xarrra, I have a suggestion for you on the smoothie track. Definitely put some green leaves in there. Spinach is nice, but kale is Waaaaay better, because of all the nutrition (i remove the tough stem so I digest it better). So long as you make the fruit portion much larger than the green portion, you won't taste anything green at all, but you'll still get important nutrients. Especially if your fruits are berries and/or bananas.

But here's the thing I found - I do not like smoothies that look anything like salad dressing. They can't be green. They can't be beige. They need to be purple-y for me to not be grossed out (if I'm grossed out, my negative association will prevent me from making them). So I suggest you do whatever you need to do to make your smoothies appealing to you, while trying to increase nutrition.

I would NOT do a fruit only smoothie, because that's too much sugar, pre-processed (in blender) for the body to handle. It is better to eat the fruits straight, with chewing, rather than getting it broken down in liquid form to immediately impact your blood sugar. At least if you add something green and maybe some protein or some yogurt, it's less of an impact. I like coconut flakes, or coconut milk as a protein/fat ingredient in my smoothies to slow down the sugar.

In general, though, you can make a smoothie any way you like, with whatever ingredients you like. I suggest experimenting to find what you like best. Make sure it's sweet enough to be appealing, while having balancing things in it too.

P.S. Carrots are now and have always been vegetables, regardless the current fashion in the dogmatic personal trainer circle. Yes, carrots are starchy vegetables (along with most root veggies, peas, and corn), to be considered or avoided if low-carbing, but they are vegetables all the same. It would be better to have a starchy root rather than no vegetables whatsoever in a diet.
  • liquorice23
    Options
    hey, i LOVE the heading of this conversation!
    it is exactly what i think a lot these days: I'm not a rabbit...
    right now i am on the candida diet - extremely strict so no fruit even allowed and my favourite veggies banned :(

this has helped me with the not being a rabbit thing, yet having to eat rabbit food:

make pretty vegetable snacks
    - cut nice shapes, or slices, or sticks
    - arrange nicely on a plate / decorate the snacks
    - simple things make food look good and somehow makes it all less traumatic for me to eat rabbit food. maybe cause it looks awesome and not like a piece of veg left out for the rabbit :)

> try cucumber slices topped with some hummus and maybe add an olive on top of that
    > carrot and cucumber sticks dipped in hummus
    > then try others like mushrooms, mange tout, red peppers

do you like guacamole and salsa?
    make and eat they are full of veggies - avo, tomato...

try grilled veg:
    my favourite is:
    butternut, potato and sweet potato sliced into largeish chunky slices placed on an oven tray
    drizzled with olive oil, add salt black pepper and fresh rosemary and garlic on top
    bake at med heat for +- 30 mins
    voila! i like this better than chips and trust me it tastes like HEAVEN!
    (i cannot WAIT to make this when i get to next phase of my diet and am allowed)

another great grilled veg recipe:
    slice red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper if you like, onions, olives and bake as explained above.

remember you dont have to eat veg only or fuit only
    combine these ideas with something you love like on the side of whatever

much support and i KNOW how it can be hard...
    xx
  • Calead910
    Options
    There are certain vegetables that you might want to eat in moderation such as potatoes but if your going to eat them try sweet potatoes over regular potatoes. I think that for breakfast, if you have eggs, try incorporating a little spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers, maybe even tomato (fruit). For lunch I'll eat hummus which is quite easy to make at home and stores well too, and I'll dip my carrots, cucumbers, and red bell pepper in the hummus and I'll eat 1 slice of bread too. I even dip my tomato in the hummus. I eat a low carb, low calorie diet, and I don't eat meat so getting those veggies into my diet is very important. You can bake the sweet potatoes on a Monday so that you have them on hand for lunch or dinner and you don't have to wait, just heat them up once they are baked. For dinner I always have some sort of green vegetable, kale is great sauteed with garlic and a teaspoon of oil, green beans mixed with some balsamic vinegar and then baked are delicious and the vinegar becomes sweet, it looses it's tang, satueed spinach, bake asparagus with salt and pepper and a little olive oil or cooking spray and your set. I also buy the Dole coleslaw mix and I chop up mushrooms, ginger, a little red pepper if I have it on hand, scallions, broccoli, and cubed tofu but you can use lean ground turkey and a packet of soy sauce and you kind of have the filling of an eggroll just with more veggies. lol I never eat rice and this holds me over, I'm never hungry after that-it makes a lot.

Always eat fresh veggies but buying frozen isn't so bad and it's convenient opposed to canned. Canned vegetables have too much sodium and I don't like feeling bloated especially when I'm trying to lose weight. I would think most people feel the same way as I do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question. You don't have to eat salads to eat veggies. I almost never eat salads because I'm too lazy to prepare them. If you want to eat more veggies, roast them and eat them. Or stir fry them and eat them. Or steam them and eat them. Whatever, just eat them.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another thing I would suggest would be finding locally grown, organic produce. If you have a Farmers' Market near you, it's actually cheaper than shopping at a grocery store (and so much more fun!). The difference in taste between mass-produced veggies and local veggies is UNBELIEVABLE! I already liked most fruit/veggies but I eat a lot more of them now that I'm eating ones with so much more flavor.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The problem is, most fruit smoothie recipes involve apple juice. I can't stand apples!

Actually that's not true. Google it, there are tons different type of smoothie recipes out there. Keep looking and you'll find many has no apple juice at all. Also, you can always modify it to your own taste.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question. You don't have to eat salads to eat veggies. I almost never eat salads because I'm too lazy to prepare them. If you want to eat more veggies, roast them and eat them. Or stir fry them and eat them. Or steam them and eat them. Whatever, just eat them.

Agree. There are so many other way to prepare for vegi, as ^this mentioned.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Extreme like :)