Body fat vs Pounds

Options
So this might be a stupid question?!

Is it possible to loose fat and look thinner, but gain pounds?

So I've been weighing myself with the scales in the gym, you know the ones that do body fat, BMI etc, ( I know they are probably not 100% accurate) ... apparently I've lost 1.7kg of body fat but actually gained 3 lbs
How is this!?
Do i ignore the body fat part and focus on lbs?! I need help?!
Thanks!

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. Use the scale as a point of reference. Take measurements under the same conditions at the same time of day and it should show you a good trend, even if not the most accurate. At the same time, take measurements of several places on your body at least once a month...neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh, bicep, etc. And take progress photos wearing the same clothes, same pose and same lighting frequently. Once a week even. All those things combined will let you know if you are going in the right direction.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

So I've been weighing myself with the scales in the gym, you know the ones that do body fat, BMI etc, ( I know they are probably not 100% accurate) ... apparently I've lost 1.7kg of body fat but actually gained 3 lbs
    How is this!?
    Thanks!

Setting aside the numbers which are probably not accurate it is very possible to lose fat weight and gain other weight. The amount of food waste in your system will vary as well as the amount of water weight. It is also possible to go through periods where the amount of non fat related weight will mask fat loss and make it appear as if you are stalled for short periods when you are not.

If the fat loss happens in one area of your body and the non fat weight gain happens in another it is also possible to appear lighter but be slightly heavier.

Here is a good article on weight fluctuations:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

ETA: If you are in a calorie deficit you will be losing weight from stored energy. The best way to confirm you are in a calorie deficit is through accurate food logging.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

How is this!?
    Thanks!

If you had the ability to present the exact same hydrated body to one, you might get to 5% accuracy on good ones if you are of average size ranges.
    Otherwise call it 10% more likely.

But rarely can someone do that. Drink 16 oz of water and you just gained 1 lb of LBM and threw the numbers off.

If you really have fat to lose to be in healthy weight range, it's the weight - but the scale isn't the best indicator except to prove you are in a deficit and losing fat over a longer period of time.
    Along with several measurements is better.

When you start exercising you gain water weight for several reasons, so that will go up.
    Is the gym weigh-in first thing in morning, after rest day from exercise, eating normal sodium levels?
    If not I wouldn't even trust the weight then.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

How is this!?
    Thanks!

First, they are not accurate, so don't lose too much sleep over what the scale says. It's best use is to monitor your weight, full stop.

In the short term, it is highly unlikely you could gain muscle and lose weight. Building muscle is a long term proposition. It is possible to lose weight and gain muscle over the long term though, we're talking over months and years here.

Far more likely is water weight fluctuations or digestive contents. Check out the link in Novus' post, it explains it well. Hang in there!
  • Warriormonk73
    Warriormonk73 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds and most people tell me I have gained mass - go figure! It is possible.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys! X
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    This is why I also take multiple measurements.
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, muscle is more dense than fat, so it is entirely possible to gain weight as you replace body fat with muscle from exercise.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    To the OP, this is part and parcel of body recomposition (or "recomp"). I'm sure there are some sub-forums in here on this topic. Body fat, arguably, is more important to track than weight once you're in a healthy weight range.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, muscle is more dense than fat, so it is entirely possible to gain weight as you replace body fat with muscle from exercise.
    A man with perfect nutrition and training can gain maybe 1/2 per week. A person at a 500 calorie deficit can lose 1 lb per week. And gaining muscle to any effective degree requires a calorie surplus.

Yes, you can gain muscle as you lose fat. But, if you are in a deficit to lose fat, your muscle gains will either be nonexistent or trial your fat losses substantially.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

How is this!?
    Thanks!

Those scales are notoriously inaccurate. Focus on fat loss and fitness and let the rest fall where it may.