Is it drinking alcohol while losing weight is bad?

Yes I admit I was a heavy drinker before binging in 6-8 bottle of strong beers that I discovered every bottle contains 240 cals, now that I decided to lose a weight I shift from strong to light beers that is only containing 120 cals per bottle. I could chug 3 bottles some weekends and that is 360 cals and I do fitting it in in my daily calorie deficit goal, so the question starts here is it still bad to consume moderate amount of alcohol while losing weight even it does fit in my calorie goal.

Replies

• noelkro80
    noelkro80 Posts: 248 Member
    When I go to the football I always have about 2-3 pints of lager before the game & will always work them calories into my daily amount or sometimes I have banked a few calories in previous days to help me out in case I go over that day I want to have a drink. It’s never affected my losses one bit
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    I still drink for sure, but I always count it, and have cut down a lot. If you can fit the light beers into your calorie goals and don't otherwise make bad choices regarding food because you are drinking, it shouldn't affect your weight loss, but for me personally I just get to the point where I don't want to spend my calories on drinking unless I'm having a "drinking night" where I go out with friends and know I'm gonna be drinking that night.

But bottom line - they are your calories and you can spend them however you would like!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I factor alcohol into my calories and it is not a problem. One thing I did find, though, is that beer hindered my weight loss, more than wine or spirits, regardless of the calorie count.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I think that there are some people who absolutely don't do well mixing drinking and dieting. For those people, significantly limiting or even eliminating alcohol is a good choice.

There are other people who don't have issues combining calorie counting and regular/semi-regular drinking. I know, as I'm one of these people. I drank while I was losing weight and I still drink now, while maintaining. Some key factors for me: I'm fairly active, so it isn't keeping me from meeting my nutritional needs. I am hardcore about accurately logging my drinks. And, probably most important, alcohol doesn't change my food choices. If it weren't for those three things, I don't think I could be successful.

And it is not just alcohol that could turn an otherwise successful calorie day into a massive surplus. Some people can't have chocolate without going into a binge. It really is a trial and error process.

One other thing when determining what will work and won't work. You may find that you can successfully moderate something in one situation but struggle in another. For instance you may be fine having a calorie controlled number of drinks at home but when out with friends you may have too much. If you try to be too aggressive with your weight loss it can also hinder your ability to make mindful choices. I am not saying this WILL happen I am saying it MIGHT so just keep it in mind when you are experimenting.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I think that there are some people who absolutely don't do well mixing drinking and dieting. For those people, significantly limiting or even eliminating alcohol is a good choice.

There are other people who don't have issues combining calorie counting and regular/semi-regular drinking. I know, as I'm one of these people. I drank while I was losing weight and I still drink now, while maintaining. Some key factors for me: I'm fairly active, so it isn't keeping me from meeting my nutritional needs. I am hardcore about accurately logging my drinks. And, probably most important, alcohol doesn't change my food choices. If it weren't for those three things, I don't think I could be successful.

And it is not just alcohol that could turn an otherwise successful calorie day into a massive surplus. Some people can't have chocolate without going into a binge. It really is a trial and error process.

One other thing when determining what will work and won't work. You may find that you can successfully moderate something in one situation but struggle in another. For instance you may be fine having a calorie controlled number of drinks at home but when out with friends you may have too much. If you try to be too aggressive with your weight loss it can also hinder your ability to make mindful choices. I am not saying this WILL happen I am saying it MIGHT so just keep it in mind when you are experimenting.

Exactly. I have no trouble with wine, but I know from experience that if I bring Wheat Thins in the house there is a high probability that I will lose control and eat most of the box at some point. So I skip the headache and don't buy them. When I encounter them at parties, I have no problem eating a normal human amount . . . it's a very situational thing.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Ferd2001 wrote: »
    Yes I admit I was a heavy drinker before binging in 6-8 bottle of strong beers that I discovered every bottle contains 240 cals, now that I decided to lose a weight I shift from strong to light beers that is only containing 120 cals per bottle. I could chug 3 bottles some weekends and that is 360 cals and I do fitting it in in my daily calorie deficit goal, so the question starts here is it still bad to consume moderate amount of alcohol while losing weight even it does fit in my calorie goal.

try some of the non alcohol beers . Partake (look on the web) ships all over north america. they make 5 styles. the pale ale is quite drinkable. and 10 calories !!!!