Doing it again and again

Options
Hi. I'm starting again also. Trying to lose weight that I had already lost and regained. I have to make this a lifestyle and a habit. I need some motivation, accountability and challenges. You guys inspire me. I'm tired of ups and downs, looking good one season and hiding the double stomach the next season. Its time for me to get SERIOUS about my health. Its 2020. allthingsnew. Question. How do you "add" people?

Replies

• lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi that's the only way we can't give up We must think like a baby when he start's walking how many times does he fall before he gets it right. We will fall but like that baby we must pick ourselves up and keep going. You will get it right some day. I hope I do to.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking out some of the Groups on MFP. I'm in the "Lose 1 Pound A Week and Keep It Off" group and they have weekly weigh ins for accountability and weekly and ongoing challenging to get people thinking about developing healthy habits. Even though I'm maintaining now the accountability of a group helps me stay motivated (since I have also lost and gained before).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this post comes of as blunt. It is not meant to be rude.

Some things that I have observed over time with people who are on the serial lose and regain merry-go-round are as follows.

-Struggling with/needing extrinsic motivation.
    -Desiring/ needing extrinsic accountability.
    -Needing extrinsic support and or challenges.

The problem with this is that, if those extrinsic factors aren't there on a given day or a given week, it becomes the excuse to slack off. Does that sound like a formula for success to you?

Here's the deal. We do and stick to the activities and habits that support what we really value (aside from major life issues and or injuries and health problems). This isn't my idea. It's Stephen Covey's. But, IMHO, it's true. And while support and friends are nice. They can't be the reason why you decide what is truly, at a fundamental level, important to you. You have to do that work for yourself.

When you decide what is truly important to you, what your core values are, you then create a plan to move toward those things. Your motivation comes from you. Your accountability is to you and what you most value. You've created the plan, that is your challenge. That comprises your objective and your strategy, to put in military terms. The rest is just tactics.

You and what you value most are all you really need. The rest, motivation, accountability, support and challenges, while nice, is not lasting. And when you do not decide your move forward based on what you value most, you stay on the merry-go-round. All you have to do is take a look around on this board to see the number of people who are "restarting" or lost and regained or "need" motivation.

To do it the way I suggest is not easy. It takes work to think it through, come up with the plan in writing, revisit the plan and adjust as time goes on. But how easy is it to lose, regain, lose, regain...ad infinitum? FWIW