weight fluctuations - can't make sense of them

Options
I started a weight loss programme only last week, so I know there's no chance of a trend yet. But I thought my scales were broken as my weight fluctuated by about 10lbs (mainly apparently gaining during the week, when I was definitely eating far far less than normal. So I bought new scales and weighed myself. Since yesterday afternoon when I got them home, I appear to have gained 6lbs! I just don't really understand this, or how its possible to gauge weight loss when day by day we can add or lose so many pounds. Can anyone help me understand this?

Thanks

Replies

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have been moving them a lot - putting them away then getting them out to weigh. I'll just leave them in one place from now on.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the calibration comment. Perhaps it depends on your scales? I prop mine against the wall when not in use but weigh in roughly the same spot on a hard level floor and it makes no difference at all.
  • cherys
    Options
    @Avidkeo - I don't quite understand that graph. Are the red dots attached to the graph line the fluctuations? if they are, it looks like really wide fluctuations but an overall downward trend. Is that right?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It's not my graph, but yes: the dots are the weigh-ins and the red line is the trend.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try libra of happy scale to get trend lines. Also weigh same time every day (i do first thing in morning just after bathroom visit) and in same outfit or lack thereof.
    Also give it time diet and exercise changes can cause water retention this is a plan for life and that means give it a while.

Also just illustrate this all to yourself once weigh yourself(not for logging) before and after a large bathroom visit. It is nutty how much weight can change.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Libra for Android and Happy Scale for Apple :+1:
  • cherys
    Options
    Oh brilliant. Thanks @Lietchi. One for the phone an done for the iPad. :)
  • cherys
    Options
    And @amtyrell - that you for the recommendations. Really helpful.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations when you weigh daily can be annoying, frustrating and exciting. I get annoyed when I see a number I don't like, I get annoyed and then get excited when I see a number I do like. The key, and its hard, I don't always do this but the key is to keep even keeled. I have lost nearly 75 pounds, just 10-15 to go, so as I say I'm happy but not satisfied. That is just a motivational thing though to get to the ultimate goal weight.
    Last Tuesday I weighed in 204.2 and NOT happy, the next day, Wednesday I was 202.2 and Thursday I was 200.8 and that stayed the same for 3 days. Yesterday I was 201.6 and today 203.2 and not very happy. It is, what it is.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the calibration comment. Perhaps it depends on your scales? I prop mine against the wall when not in use but weigh in roughly the same spot on a hard level floor and it makes no difference at all.

Same. It's been roughly 19 years since my bathroom scales had their own location, usually they're propped up against the wall due to lack of space. I've noticed day to day variations but usually within +/- 0.5 kg (triangular shaped distribution for those who are curious).