Almost 50 years old-help with weight loss šŸ˜©

Options
Hi, Iā€™m new here and only a couple of weeks in. My first week I lost almost 10 pounds of which I know was water weight. I just weighed myself and I only lost .9 pound! Iā€™m sticking to my diet, eating good foods and walking 5 miles a day every morning for excruciating. I didnā€™t expect to lose another 9 pounds but not even losing a whole pound was just depressing. Anyone else been through this? I only started to have a weight issue in my forties and because of this stopped working out altogether. Iā€™m trying to get down a total of forty pounds. My thyroid has been checked and I have already gone through the change. Any help ladies who are in my age range??
Ā«1

Replies

• onehottomatodmz
    onehottomatodmz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If the 1200 calories isnā€™t going to get me to my 2 pounds a week what should I do? I am also speed walking 5 days a week for 5 miles a day. Should I dip to 1000 calories a day?
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If the 1200 calories isnā€™t going to get me to my 2 pounds a week what should I do? I am also speed walking 5 days a week for 5 miles a day. Should I dip to 1000 calories a day?

No. You should adjust your expectations, not your calories.

Plan for 1 pound per week.

ā¬†ļø This!! Losing .9 pounds in one week is great. Small sustainable habit changes will result in a slower weight loss but one that will last and that you can maintain. No rush and nothing to gain from eating an unhealthy and unsustainably low amount of calories.
  • onehottomatodmz
    Options
    Ok, I was told by my cardiologist that due to my age and having already gone through the change that this was affecting my weight loss. My doctor is one of the top in the country so I really believed what he was telling me
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

I agree with others not to lower your calories but instead lower your expectations. There are multitudes of folks on here who have done that over and over and then regained the weight. This is hard on you and can result in loss of muscle mass. You don't want that as muscle is needed and don't forget your heart is a muscle. Trust me slow and steady wins the race.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was told by my cardiologist that due to my age and having already gone through the change that this was affecting my weight loss. My doctor is one of the top in the country so I really believed what he was telling me

Obviously your doctor knows your entire situation. That said, most doctors are not well versed in weight management. Is he a bariatric doctor?

I lost 80 pounds after menopause. I lost weight at a consistent rate once I learned about calories and nutrition. I didn't eat super low calorie, more like 1500-2000. The higher days were on days I exercised (walking around my neighborhood.)

Maybe go see a dietician if you need help with how much to eat.
    It's likely not 1200 calories and it's definitely NOT under 1000.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I would love to lose almost a whole pound a week. My loss was slower, at about .5 pounds a week. Sometimes a bit more. It took me 8 months to lose 20 pounds. Iā€™m 59 and was eating 1350 cals with weight training, spin or hiking 5-7 days a week (with a few binges/high calorie days and days off for spe ial occasions thrown into the mix). You have to be patient, AND consistent. I hit goal last September and guess what? Iā€™m up 5 pounds already and back to careful logging/weighing of food. This MUST be a lifestyle change for you to have permanent success.
  • onehottomatodmz
    Options
    Please donā€™t get me wrong. Iā€™m not looking to lose a huge amount of weight every week. Iā€™m just looking to lose 2 pounds a week. With losing under a pound this last week and working so hard at it, it seems like I must be doing something wrong.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    2lbs a week is a huge amount.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I need to add:

To lose 2 pounds per week, you need a 1000 calorie deficit EVERY DAY. This isn't safe/possible if your maintenance calories are anything less than 2200 calories per day.

Do you have any idea what your maintenance calories are?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    "working so hard at it."

So you joined this website on February 10, 2020. We're glad you're here.

Your FOOD diary is your Bible.

Logging food Accurately is the #1 thing you should focus on, AND not try to lose too fast. There is a learning curve and under-eating is every bit as bad if not worse than over-eating.

Here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

and:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1