Hanson’s Marathon Method??? Anyone tried?

Options
I’m thinking of trying Hanson’s method for marathon 2. I love the high volume, cumulative fatigues concept. I also love the idea of a 16 mile long run and such. I have a strong base- working back up to my 30-40 mile weeks and am not opposed to higher mileage. I have a half marathon in March and considering Pittsburgh in May.

Any Hanson’s method experiences? Did you fit in strength training? Yoga? Life? Beer?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I know many people who have used it. Most really like it. It seems to work better for faster runners than slow ones, but that may just be anecdotal. I looked at it, but don't like running 6 days a week and the mileage is higher (60+ mpw) than I've done previously.

I improved switching from Higdon Intermediate 2 to Pfitzinger. Currently I'm following BAA level 3 just to have some variety. All were 5 day plans.
  • dsg2000
    dsg2000 Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I used Hansons for quite a while, maybe for something like 4 marathons or so? So 2, maybe 3 years in total. The high volume philosophy was definitely up my alley (I was not a fast runner!); I was always nervous about the 16-mile long run and made it longer, though, usually throwing in a 20-miler in there anyway. It definitely gave me more endurance, but I think it takes a few cycles to pay off. At least for me it took me a while to see the serious results - I think it takes a long time (more than just a few months / 1 marathon cycle) for the body to really adapt to a high mileage routine. I also really liked the idea of getting comfortable with marathon pace, which is a big part of the Hanson philosophy. It's made me very good at pacing myself. I used the first/beginner plan from their book once or maybe twice before moving on to their higher-mileage plan, and topped out at the 75/80mpw plans.

I wasn't doing much strength training at that point, so can't comment on that aspect of it. When I did attempt to integrate a weight program into my marathon running (running takes priority for me) I found it extremely difficult, though, because I had to do strength training on my hard training days, after running - I wanted to keep my easy days easy. But lifting after a hard run is extra hard, obviously! Also, it was taking me a super long time at the gym to do both.

After Hansons I switched to Pfitzinger, and really like those too - I find it's slightly less predictable than Hansons (which is a pretty rote Tuesday race pace run, Thursday intervals, weekend long-run routine). I've added mileage to Pfitzinger's plans and kept the 6 day a week schedule, though, and done really well with these. But part of the reason I've been able to do really well on Pfitzinger is because Hansons really built up my "base" mileage.

Long story short, I think Hansons is great at adapting the body to high volume and really learning how to pace oneself for long races, which is pretty much the goal of the plan!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I haven't used it personally but I did run with a woman who used it (and did many of her workouts with her). I borrowed her book and decided not to use it (I don't recall exactly why). I ended up using Jack Daniels 2Q program (it's also the program my coach bases his workouts on since he was once coached by Jack).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I used Hanson for the Flying Pig marathon in 2018. I was training with a group and that was the plan most of the runners at or near my pace decided on. I had no real goal for this race so I went with it. It did take a lot of planning to fit those long weekday runs in, but all in all I enjoyed it. I liked the break it gave me from a lot of speed work and I think it that it did help very much with pacing and splits.

I was wanting to enjoy the race (it was the 20th anniversary and a big celebration/high energy event). I ran the race pretty casually, chatting with other runners and taking in all of the spectacles the course has to offer. My husband and a few friends were running the relay so I took time to chat quickly with them along the way too. But I ended up finishing the race very strong with big negative splits and a very solid BQ. I definitely didn't give this race everything I had and I enjoyed running it, so I would have to say that the Hanson training method did its job of preparing me for pacing a long race without too much effort. I am not sure that my body is in a place right now to endure all of that mileage, but I probably will revisit this plan in the future.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    YOU CHATTED THROUGH A RACE A BQ’d?!?! Teach me your ways
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Well, I have to admit that being 48 years old and having an easier qualifying standard does help ;)

But honestly, that was my point about the Hanson plan. The general nature of the plan made the pacing feel very natural come marathon time. I am not sure that it plays to everyone's strengths, but it worked well for me. I also think the high energy of the race helped. It is my local marathon and I knew a ton of people on the course. It was definitely the funnest time I ever had at a marathon.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I know, right? I kept thinking of this post last night and shaking my head in admiration!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I had good results following a Hal Higdon plan last year for a HM. FWIW.

But, thanks for the pointer, I'll look into Hason for my next one as well.