Strategies for Weekend Success

Options
I do great sticking to my diet and exercise during the week, but derail on the weekends. What are some strategies you have successfully implemented to stay on track when your normal routine is uprooted?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. My goal isn't to have the same routine seven days a week -- I have a workday routine and I have a day off routine. I intentionally created good habits on the weekend, making it easier to stick to them without too much thought.

I pre-log so I understand how many calories to eat the rest of the day if I'm doing something fun (brewery visit, party, dinner out, etc). I chose active hobbies so my calorie burn is higher on Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I bank calories.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I have my weekday routine and my weekend routine. Both involve meal planning and logging everything.my weekend meals are just as planned out as my weekday meals, they are just different. You need to treat them as days that require habit and routine just like weekdays.
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with the strategies already mentioned (I do a version of all of them), but would like to add one more. Since I have more free time during the weekend, I make a point to move more. Either Saturday or Sunday (or both), we'll do a big hike (8+ miles) or a long run (for us, 6-7 miles). I'll also spend a couple hours each day on strength training or yoga. *(Important factor: husband is active with me, and we don't have kids). Because I'm exercising so much, I'm able to be a little more flexible with my calories. Also, all the time spent exercising is time I'm NOT sitting on my couch snacking (which is a bad habit that I can fall easily back into on weekends). This obviously doesn't work for everyone (lack of free time, lack of mobility, etc), but it does for me. The only caveat is that you have to make sure you don't go overboard thinking you can eat whatever you want - it's more important to put in place strategies mentioned above such as logging food ahead, eating a later first meal, etc. Finally, this works for ME because it boosts my mood and I have fun with it. I have slowly built up to this amount of time spent exercising. This probably wouldn't work for someone if it feels like a chore - everyone wants to be able to enjoy their weekend! Anyway, it's worked well for me and worth a try! Even doing something like taking a long, leisurely walk could have a similar benefit.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I generally eat more on the weekends, as well... but I eat a bit under my recommended calories through the week to account for that. I prefer to use a weekly average to stay within my goals so I can indulge a bit on the weekend. As long as my weekly average is around goal, I'm good.

To see your weekly average: In the main menu of the app, go to "Nutrition", then change it to "Weekly" and "Net"
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Don’t think of it as “my normal routine is uprooted”. Think of it as “I am now engaging in my weekend routine.” You basically have to give yourself a little structure on Saturdays and Sundays, just like you do with the workweek.

Here’s mine. I bank just a few calories (100 or so per weekday) so that I have a little more flexibility on weekends. I look at my average weekly calorie target rather than hitting the same number all seven days; it’s a great way to de-stress about perfection.

Also, on Saturdays and Sundays, i make a general plan for food when I wake up, and log it in my app. It can change later (amounts, specific foods), but I generally know around what times I will eat my meals and around how many calories they will be. This helps when you’re planning to eat a little lighter during the day if there’s a big event in the evening.

Finally, I wake up around 8 rather than 6:30 on weekends, so I push my first meal to around 11 or 12. This way, it allows me to control daily calories a little better and leave room to eat at special events.

Wow. Yes. Precisely, to the word, all of this. Cheers!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    For a while I was banking calories during the week so that I could enjoy Pizza Night and other indulgences on weekends. It worked for me for a while, but I did find it difficult to limit the calories on the weekends (“Yay, more calories!!” mentality), I felt fuller and grosser over the weekend, and of course, there was the increased calorie restriction on weekdays. Recently I’ve just been keeping the same calorie goal for all days, and I just do my best on weekends. Some weekends I might be in the red, but I’m at least under maintenance. I do try other things to offset weekend indulgences, such as more exercise and limiting daytime calories in order to bank for the evening.

Just my experience, YMMV.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I prep my food for days off. I log it and eat only that helps me stay on track. On Sunday I have a limited amount I allow for calories 2400 but I can have whatever I want as long as I stay under the numbers and it at first was like bad stuff but then I started to evolve into how can I spend my calorie bucks more wisely I started to choose healthy stuff on off day. ( I’m getting back into this after not doing anything for years but it’s what I did when I was losing weight)
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    When I was in real buckle down and lose mode (I lost 90 pounds), I ate the same every day. I needed that kind of routine and discipline. Over the last three years I've put about 10 pounds back on so I've been working on those since the new year. This time I'm doing what others have suggested, banking during the week so I have more room on the weekend, and its working well.

I think that where you are in your weightloss journey and what type of discipline you need to reach your goals will largely determine what works best for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't use my weekends for rest days...they are prime time exercise days because I have more available time. I don't have time during the week to hit the mountain bike trails for 2 or 3 hours or take a nice long road ride, but I do on Saturday. I also hit the gym on Sundays and usually spend a couple of hours there...about 40 minutes lifting, 20 minutes of moderate cardio afterwards, and then spend some time hanging out in the sauna or hot tub and getting a hydro massage.

I pretty much eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have my afternoon/evening snack just like I do during the week.

Exercise and whatnot aside, my kids also have soccer games, errands and shopping need to be done, as does housework. My weekends are pretty busy, so I'm not just hanging out and eating out of boredom.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I think identifying the strategy that will work for you starts with identifying why you are struggling. Some common ones that we see here from people:

1) More social events on weekends
    2) Alcohol
    3) People at home eating more food around you
    4) Lack of structure or boredom
    5) Not having enough treats during week
    6) Calorie deficit is too steep
    7) Expecting oneself to eat only "clean", "healthy", "low carb", or some other form of restriction.

Banking calories, which is something I also do, would be a good idea if you need more calories for social events but a bad idea if your calorie deficit is too steep.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Is your week too punitive? A rest day is one thing, but desperately needing a break from what you have set up as your "normal" routine might mean you need to reassess the things you plan for yourself.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to maintenance calories on weekends and eat as healthy as possible at restaurants. If it's something like going out-of-town and I can't take much food, I'll skip eating any/less exercise calories back the previous week unless I'm really hungry.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Treat the weekend and holidays the same as any other day
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Some great thoughts on here already. So far my weekends have been okay, I use the extra time to try and move more and in different ways during the week, especially on Saturday, and also cook things that I wouldn't have time to cook otherwise. I preplan some of it, and I nearly always have eggs and vegetables of one type or another for both breakfasts, plus some kombucha or maybe a special kind of fruit if I've gone shopping. That helps me break up the routine. Sometimes I'll make a smoothie or something that I normally don't get, though I'll still watch portions and macros. There have been times when my calories have been lower than normal because I'll have banked some for a big dinner then the spouse will make something light.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled massively with this too. My strategy (which seems to work thus far) is to plan down to the detail what I will be eating/drinking on the weekend, and logging it beforehand. I allow myself 1 refeed day, which I have on saturday, so this allows me a little extra to play with regardless. And the things I plan are things I will look forward to - I tend to eat a bit "same old" during the week, but on the weekend I think about what I'd really love to have, and just make sure my portions etc fit according to my goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    nuzziek wrote: »
    I agree with the strategies already mentioned (I do a version of all of them), but would like to add one more. Since I have more free time during the weekend, I make a point to move more. Either Saturday or Sunday (or both), we'll do a big hike (8+ miles) or a long run (for us, 6-7 miles). I'll also spend a couple hours each day on strength training or yoga. *(Important factor: husband is active with me, and we don't have kids). Because I'm exercising so much, I'm able to be a little more flexible with my calories. Also, all the time spent exercising is time I'm NOT sitting on my couch snacking (which is a bad habit that I can fall easily back into on weekends). This obviously doesn't work for everyone (lack of free time, lack of mobility, etc), but it does for me. The only caveat is that you have to make sure you don't go overboard thinking you can eat whatever you want - it's more important to put in place strategies mentioned above such as logging food ahead, eating a later first meal, etc. Finally, this works for ME because it boosts my mood and I have fun with it. I have slowly built up to this amount of time spent exercising. This probably wouldn't work for someone if it feels like a chore - everyone wants to be able to enjoy their weekend! Anyway, it's worked well for me and worth a try! Even doing something like taking a long, leisurely walk could have a similar benefit.

Yes, I have a desk job during the week and am more active on the weekends.

I miss the days when I was a full time yoga teacher or had other active jobs when I was active all week long.

My mom is retired, is super active, and struggles to stay above underweight.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I’m also wanted to suggest one of my favorite weight loss podcasts, We Only Look Thin. It’s a couple - she lost 150 pounds and he has lost 100 pounds - and they have kept it off for a couple years and they are engaging and funny. They have an episode on this very topic that I thought was great that you might appreciate. Here is a link:

https://www.weonlylookthin.com/episode-39-friday-to-the-danger-zone/
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Why do things to wrong during the weekend? Are you bored or don't know what to do other than to sit around or go to places where food is plentiful? If so then try to find something to do. Keep yourself busy. This could range from cleaning the house to going on a hike to learning new skills or something completely different. Just don't do what you do when you overeat.