Almost 50 years old-help with weight loss 😩

2»

Replies

• daisykrull
    daisykrull Posts: 1 Member
    keep doing what you are currently and if you don't see any weight loss, you may be consuming too few calories. may try to increase them by 200 or 300 because your body will fight you to keep every ounce if your not consuming enough for daily maintenance of your body.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    I find it is helpful to remember it took me a long time to gain the weight and it is a lot harder to lose then gain so it will take longer to lose the weight.
    If you have 40lbs to lose and next spring hit your perfect goal weight that is a ton better then burning out returning to what you were doing and then next spring jumping back now with 50 lbs to lose
  • onehottomatodmz
    onehottomatodmz Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2020
    You need to put on your patient pants and get mentally ready to do this for the long haul. You didn't gain the weight in a few weeks and you aren't going to lose it in a few weeks.

You're not doing anything wrong. You're losing about 1 lb per week. AWESOME! Keep it up![/quote]

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    I hate being told this but didn't do it right at first, make sure you're logging everything. I was logging things by package servings when they're allowed to be off and logging things like apples as a small apple when a true small apple is pretty darned tiny! Peanut butter on a spoon isn't the same as weighing it. I log every last blueberry now, coffee, and spices though that's pretty anal.

I have to agree with everyone about eating enough to nourish your body. I didn't when I started calorie counting and burned out around the 5th month, I was frustrated because I was eating 1200 and working out a lot. Once I started eating back some workout calories I wasn't dizzy and fatigued and able to slay my workouts and up weights used pretty fast. I averaged about 1lb a week the last 50lbs, some weeks I plateaued. other weeks I had a whoosh.
  • onehottomatodmz
    Unfortunately I did gain the weight in weeks. I gained the weight due to medications for my heart. I gained over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I’m not looking to lose as fast as I gained I just figured with my calorie reduction and walking it would workout to more
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    OP, you seem to be forgetting the most important thing. You still lost weight. You didn't gain it. AND it was a very respectable just shy of 1 lb. Instead of being all worried it wasn't the probably way too high expectation of 2 lbs, be happy you're that much closer to your goal.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Unfortunately I did gain the weight in weeks. I gained the weight due to medications for my heart. I gained over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I’m not looking to lose as fast as I gained I just figured with my calorie reduction and walking it would workout to more

This would have been good to tell us.

Work with your cardiologist, ask for a referral to a Dietician. Your medical issues mean you need more input than people on a forum should be giving you.

If you gained 40 pounds in two months, it's not about exercise or being age 50.

Good luck.

Yeah, important info to know. Please speak with your doctor.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Holy cow. Ditto working with your cardiologist and expanding your medical team to include a dietitian. I wouldn't even know how much of that may be fat and how much could be heavy water retention.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Does anyone remember the thread where the OP got really upset because we didn't know that "girlfriend" was sexy-time partner girlfriend and not just next door neighbor pal??

:lol:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10582739/pissing-me-off/p4
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2020
    Does anyone remember the thread where the OP got really upset because we didn't know that "girlfriend" was sexy-time partner girlfriend and not just next door neighbor pal??

:lol:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10582739/pissing-me-off/p4

I didn't catch it the first time, but that's awesome.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

This would have been good to tell us.

Work with your cardiologist, ask for a referral to a Dietician. Your medical issues mean you need more input than people on a forum should be giving you.

If you gained 40 pounds in two months, it's not about exercise or being age 50.

Good luck.

ixs4514t1rim.jpg
  • onehottomatodmz
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your help