Inaccurate Nutrition Facts math?

czissman
czissman Posts: 2 Member
I know this general topic has probably been somewhat beaten to death, but I've not seen anything like this specifically addressed. In the label generated by MFP, the math used to calculate calories per serving seems way off. Assuming 4-cals per g of carbs and protein and 9-cals per g of fat, the total cals per serving in the pictured label should be 261, yet MFP calculates 315. The trouble for me is, if MFP is messing up simple math, where else is the data inaccurate? Is there an issue here or am I doing something wrong?

tapal553yo8t.jpg

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Whoever labeled that food has another problem: The total carb grams should include the grams of fiber; as shown, the total carb is less than the amount of fiber. That is not supposed to be possible.
  • czissman
    czissman Posts: 2 Member
    That is a Nutrition Facts label generated by MyFitnessPal for my morning green drink.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    These are entered by other users. MFP didn't mess up the math. The person didn't enter it accurately.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Whoever labeled that food has another problem: The total carb grams should include the grams of fiber; as shown, the total carb is less than the amount of fiber. That is not supposed to be possible.

There are countries where labeling requirements are net carbs -- they don't show fiber in the carbs number.
  • lynn_glenmont
    czissman wrote: »
    That is a Nutrition Facts label generated by MyFitnessPal for my morning green drink.

So it's for a recipe you created in MFP?
    Did you check the entries for the individual ingredients you used in the recipe? Garbage in, garbage out.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    the label you see does NOT include net carbs (so there is an additional 45cal for the 15g of carbs that is fiber) - the label on the box is net carbs
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

There are countries where labeling requirements are net carbs -- they don't show fiber in the carbs number.

I would agree except the disclaimer at the bottom references the US FDA.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

I’m seeing it more and more in the US - I made an entry for a pasta of mine that had net carbs
  • lynn_glenmont
    puffbrat wrote: »

I think, if I understand the OP, that is just the template used by MFP in generating the label -- doesn't necessarily reflect the data input by the user.