Building muscle in calorie deficit

Options
So looking to lose maybe 5 more pounds or so to bring me to 130. I’m looking to build so muscle and start getting more defined. I’ve gotten into strength training with only 40 pounds on arms and 70 pounds leg press. I’m still doing cardio 4/5 times a week.
Is it possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit? Do i just up my protein intake? I’d still like to be around the 130s but I do understand that will fluctuate while putting on muscle.
Thoughts?

Replies

• designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Excellent question. I’m in the same boat and would love to hear what the “experts” have to say. How many calories and how much protein are you eating daily?
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind, for women, even with a progressive lifting program and your intake on point (which I understand to mean a small SURPLUS and higher protein) they can probably only gain a max of 1lb of muscle per month.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Follow a good progressive full body program and eat a very slight deficit with adequate protein. You have to put in the work to build the muscle.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    jaydutchie wrote: »
    So looking to lose maybe 5 more pounds or so to bring me to 130. I’m looking to build so muscle and start getting more defined. I’ve gotten into strength training with only 40 pounds on arms and 70 pounds leg press. I’m still doing cardio 4/5 times a week.
    Is it possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit? Do i just up my protein intake? I’d still like to be around the 130s but I do understand that will fluctuate while putting on muscle.
    Thoughts?

Only possible in 2 circumstances. You are a newbie to training and or you are significantly overweight. Possible but not probable in those two situations. Not gonna happen outside of that...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meet Staci...

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, Staci is 11 pounds heavier (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/female-powerlifters-meet-staci-ardison/